The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Dec 23, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #5,853 of 5,928
Do you hear that, is it singing, what's that singing..?

Oh it's my HD800's!  
o2smile.gif

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #5,855 of 5,928
  1. 110dB @19dBu into 600 Ohm (=80mW)
  2. 101dB @14dBu into 32 Ohm (=470mW)

Is that enough to drive the HD800? :)

Feb 20, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #5,856 of 5,928
I was thinking of getting the 800 and they come out with a 800S. What do existing 800 owners feel about the 800S?

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #5,857 of 5,928
Hey guys,

Well it seems I really wanted a pair of HD800's, and seeing as how I just got my tax returns... well you know... I bought a new pair of them from Amazon.

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #5,859 of 5,928

I want that comparison with the T1 please ^^.

You got it!

I've been listening to the HD800 for a few hours today so far and I am very impressed with them on my gear. I had heard them in the past on my old set-up (Music Hall DAC, X-CANV8P) and they sounded good. But man, with my V800 DAC and Phonitor Mini....these things sing. I hate to say it, but they sound better than my T1's by quite a bit. There's more bass and the midrange is flatter. Treble is also smoother than I remember and not bad at all. Definitely doesn't bother me one bit. But I know you want a better comparison than that. The HD800 in every way is better than the T1 to my ears. The bass though, it not as tight as the T1's. Everything else is better.

The treble is smoother on the HD800, more articulate, with better extension. I don't hear any stridency at all on my end and the micro detail in the treble is quite something. The midrange might be more full on the T1, but lack overall transparency and resolving capability. It's not bad, but lacks some resolution when comparing. Bass though might be a bit better on the T1. The T1 has tighter bass with less extension, while the HD800's is fuller and a bit looser. Texturing is pretty similar on both, maybe a slight better on the T1. More testing will be needed.

Now the soundstage is really something. I thought my K701 had the biggest soundstage, but it's got nothing on the HD800.Heck, the T1 is no slouch either, but it does sound downright congested in comparison. Perhaps congested is not the right term, but the overall stage size is smaller with less air. Imaging is great on both, but the HD800 has the clear advantage here. It's a lot more precise on the HD800.. more speaker like (taboo I know). 

These are brief impressions of mine and I'll give more updated ones as time passes.

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #5,860 of 5,928
   You got it!

I've been listening to the HD800 for a few hours today so far and I am very impressed with them on my gear. I had heard them in the past on my old set-up (Music Hall DAC, X-CANV8P) and they sounded good. But man, with my V800 DAC and Phonitor Mini....these things sing. I hate to say it, but they sound better than my T1's by quite a bit. There's more bass and the midrange is flatter. Treble is also smoother than I remember and not bad at all. Definitely doesn't bother me one bit. But I know you want a better comparison than that. The HD800 in every way is better than the T1 to my ears. The bass though, it not as tight as the T1's. Everything else is better.

The treble is smoother on the HD800, more articulate, with better extension. I don't hear any stridency at all on my end and the micro detail in the treble is quite something. The midrange might be more full on the T1, but lack overall transparency and resolving capability. It's not bad, but lacks some resolution when comparing. Bass though might be a bit better on the T1. The T1 has tighter bass with less extension, while the HD800's is fuller and a bit looser. Texturing is pretty similar on both, maybe a slight better on the T1. More testing will be needed.

Now the soundstage is really something. I thought my K701 had the biggest soundstage, but it's got nothing on the HD800.Heck, the T1 is no slouch either, but it does sound downright congested in comparison. Perhaps congested is not the right term, but the overall stage size is smaller with less air. Imaging is great on both, but the HD800 has the clear advantage here. It's a lot more precise on the HD800.. more speaker like (taboo I know). 

These are brief impressions of mine and I'll give more updated ones as time passes.

Thanks i will keep an eye on the thread.

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #5,862 of 5,928
I was thinking of getting the 800 and they come out with a 800S. What do existing 800 owners feel about the 800S?

Depends. If you already own a HD 800, best is to get a different headphone that compliments the HD 800 (a fun sounding headphone). If you don't have a HD 800 already, get the HD 800 S. 

Mar 15, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #5,863 of 5,928
i dont think it is enough

Apr 3, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #5,864 of 5,928
  With the new 800s out...The original is down to $1100......Geez, the wallet is yelling not to do it

$924 from Verizon Wireless (+ sales tax), if you use that service and some "Verizon Points" to redeem ($923 + 47,600 verizon points). Many people that use Verizon don't even realize that have points. Verizon is an authorized Senn dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back