The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market
Jul 23, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #1,351 of 1,456
Haha! Nice one mate, that was well done!  I was smiling the entire way through.

beerchug.gif

Jul 23, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #1,352 of 1,456
As for the Tera, I am happy I got mine under 1k long ago...still worth the 1k but not more IMO.

Now that you can sell your Teraplayer on the used market for perhaps 4000 EUR, does hanging onto it make sense?  

Then again, perhaps you should wait until he's asking 10,000 EUR for new Teraplayers, then you can sell yours for 7000 EUR.  

biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #1,353 of 1,456

Now that you can sell your Teraplayer on the used market for perhaps 4000 EUR, does hanging onto it make sense?  

Then again, perhaps you should wait until he's asking 10,000 EUR for new Teraplayers, then you can sell yours for 7000 EUR.  

biggrin.gif

Sotheby's Auction of course. That way you are guaranteed the buyer can actually pay for it.

Jul 24, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #1,354 of 1,456
  If I remember right, there was once a story in the world news concerning employees at Pegatron complaining of becoming sick and poisoned from inhaling fumes during the screen making process of phones

I'm not sure; perhaps you're remembering the incident that occurred at a Wintek facility four years ago? It's the tip of the proverbial iceberg--these kinds of conditions are apparently just a regular part of life for many factory workers in China. (The second link connects to a good article on the subject.) 

Several weeks ago I posted a query about Foxconn to Questyle representative "DGCFAD" in the "Questyle QP1" thread:

Foxconn has received bad press about the apparent abuse of the workers at its facilities. What is Questyle doing to help ensure the fair treatment of those producing the QP1? I for one would be more inclined to support a company that values the well-being of all its people. 

DGCFAD's reply:

Quote:
There is very little we can do about events which occurred 10 years ago, Foxconn in Shenzhen (the facility we use), has the highest minimum wage in all of China, twice that of Shenzhen itself, which has the highest of all the provinces. They also enjoy the best working conditions and the highest standard of living of any in China. The last protest, which was about 5 years ago, was because they would not allow their employees to work overtime (the 8 hour day is strictly enforced). 

Sure. . . .

I got the point of the Fairphone 2 bur they charge way too much for it. I looked at the specs then at the price, something ain't right. Maybe all the other good things they do made them increase the price, I don't know. However, if I were to buy a phone that costs 500€+ I would look for something better. Plus, as I mentioned to Arly here before, after years of using Android, it became a big turn off for me. I think, most likely, I will settle down on a Windows Phone OS.

You're correct: a large part of the reason Fairphone costs more is because they're not relying on veritable slave labor to produce it. I believe it's vital to consider the implications of modern consumer culture. We're all responsible for it.

Kind regards,
Brian

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #1,355 of 1,456
Turnabout being fair play and all.

I think is smacks dearly of hypocrisy for nations who's very foundations were lain on child labour and slavery to say the least, to expect an emerging economy to adhere to standards that it took them hundreds of years to achieve.

Things like Fairphone and "Ethical Funds" are little more than marketing stunts to pull at the heartstrings and impart a form of guilt on users. Overpriced and underperforming alternative products are in no way a solution. They are a passive aggressive attempt at an embargo and not effective as a means of persuasion. The political systems of involved countries are the only means available which will bring about the changes that are needed.

The issues are deep and widespread. The very machinery which is used to manufacture something like a Fairphone is reliant on metals from Africa which invariably were obtained by what would be called in the west, unethical means. Tho hold up a product, and particularly an electronic one, as some kind of rallying point for ethics is misdirection at best and delusional at worst.

I see absolutely no humane benefit in seeking to unemploy a worker in a third world factory by purchasing some "fair" product .

Talk to a South African about which class suffers the most under sanctions.

Jul 25, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #1,356 of 1,456
You're not getting it are you? Nobodies seeking to unemploy anyone. What me and others want is for them to be paid and treated well. There's enough wage slaves in the world.

Jul 25, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #1,357 of 1,456
You're not getting it are you? Nobodies seeking to unemploy anyone. What me and others want is for them to be paid and treated well. There's enough wage slaves in the world.

One of us isn't getting it and it's not me.

That's exactly what you are talking about by buying "ethical" it's a fools paradise. Wages have been steadily rising and if it's not fast enough for your liking talk to your MP about it.

There seems to be an impression that these factories are staffed by armed guards forcing labour on these folks. The simple truth is you cannot imagine the poverty they come from and any step is a step forward. Go without food for three weeks and then tell me what you would be willing to work for as a wage. That is daily life over there and waving some magic wand to impose a western standard is not going to happen. Their economies, wages, benefits, and standards of living are EVOLVING. If it's not happening fast enough for you, too bad.

To expect an economic system barely 23 years old to be at par with western standards is ludicrous. The sheer numbers in the workforce would exhaust just about every currency in circulation in a year .

You feel that bad about all this. Rather than piss away several hundred dollars on some marketing scam disguised as an  "Ethical solution" buy the damn Samsung and send the difference in price to a family over there in need, or a relief fund or Bill and Melindas foundation. They, at least helped developed a better yeilding rice strain to alleviate starvation. A much better use of your money than the Martini lunch the marketing scam artist with the green phone will put it too.

Jul 25, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #1,358 of 1,456
One of us isn't getting it and it's not me.

That's exactly what you are talking about by buying "ethical" it's a fools paradise. Wages have been steadily rising and if it's not fast enough for your liking talk to your MP about it.

There seems to be an impression that these factories are staffed by armed guards forcing labour on these folks. The simple truth is you cannot imagine the poverty they come from and any step is a step forward. Go without food for three weeks and then tell me what you would be willing to work for as a wage. That is daily life over there and waving some magic wand to impose a western standard is not going to happen. Their economies, wages, benefits, and standards of living are EVOLVING. If it's not happening fast enough for you, too bad.

To expect an economic system barely 23 years old to be at par with western standards is ludicrous. The sheer numbers in the workforce would exhaust just about every currency in circulation in a year .

You feel that bad about all this. Rather than piss away several hundred dollars on some marketing scam disguised as an  "Ethical solution" buy the damn Samsung and send the difference in price to a family over there in need, or a relief fund or Bill and Melindas foundation. They, at least helped developed a better yeilding rice strain to alleviate starvation. A much better use of your money than the Martini lunch the marketing scam artist with the green phone will put it too.

Holy crap did you ever just step in it. You're sounding more and more like one of those fat mega corp richies by the minute. Maybe you don't know what poverty is like or having to watch someone being treated like crap is like but I do and enough others on here do too. I'm gonna throw you on ignore for the next few days. I need to calm down before I proceed any further and answer your post.

Jul 25, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #1,359 of 1,456
Holy crap did you ever just step in it. You're sounding more and more like one of those fat mega corp richies by the minute. Maybe you don't know what poverty is like or having to watch someone being treated like crap is like but I do and enough others on here do too. I'm gonna throw you on ignore for the next few days. I need to calm down before I proceed any further and answer your post.

Don't bother. I have zero interest in debating with anyone who has not done even the most basic homework on a system they are criticizing. This is miles off topic for the thread and is actually a political discussion whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.

Done.

Jul 25, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #1,360 of 1,456
Would this be a good time for me to post a funny gif?

Jul 25, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #1,361 of 1,456

Could you do one of a big fat richie twirling his handlebar mustache
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #1,362 of 1,456

What,and miss out on all of these blatantly poor false-dilemma fallacious arguments, even if the points being made are sometimes ok?  

Jul 25, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #1,365 of 1,456
Son of Jude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back