The RMAA (RightMark Audio Analyzer) Source and Audio Device Measurement Thread [Overview of Measurements in Post #3, Tutorial in Post #2]
Nov 2, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #76 of 255

Wow look at those y-axis labels! About a +21dB bass boost! Have you listened to it? Even that Mach10 bass seemed like it would muddy other frequency bands. But over 20dB of bass boost, can you even hear any other content?

I have. :wink:

If you look at the graph, there is pretty much no emphasis in the upper root range, so vocals aren't muddied or overshadowed by toooo much. However it is a really really strong emphasis (with 1 kHz as reference, it is even ~ 28 dB if you look closely, which is almost four times as loud) and yeah, when the lower bass kicks in, it takes all of the presence and is fatiguing because of the amount. But it's remarkable that even when the EQ, Mach3Bass and BBE are maxed out, there are no distortions (well, there are just very little when all three are maxed out but none (that I could spot during my testing of the massive bass boost) when two are maxed out but the third is "only" at ~ 90%) and the bass remains clean and controlled.

Nov 2, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #77 of 255
I have. :wink:

If you look at the graph, there is pretty much no emphasis in the upper root range, so vocals aren't muddied or overshadowed by toooo much. However it is a really really strong emphasis (with 1 kHz as reference, it is even ~ 28 dB if you look closely, which is almost four times as loud) and yeah, when the lower bass kicks in, it takes all of the presence and is fatiguing because of the amount. But it's remarkable that even when the EQ, Mach3Bass and BBE are maxed out, there are no distortions (well, there are just very little when all three are maxed out but none (that I could spot during my testing of the massive bass boost) when two are maxed out but the third is "only" at ~ 90%) and the bass remains clean and controlled.

Excuse my ignorance Chris, but what exactly is the upper root range?

Nov 2, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #78 of 255
Excuse my ignorance Chris, but what exactly is the upper root range?

Roughly 150 to 500 Hz is the root range - the more emphasis there is (especially in the higher area of that range), the warmer the sound of the mids will usually be (the highs and upper mids do however also matter in this regard).
It's also often referred to as lower "mids", however I think that the fundamental range/root is also located a bit lower than the lower mids.

Generally I do mostly agree with fairaudio's segmentation of the tonal range that divides it into

sub-bass
midbass
upper bass
root/lower mids
middle mids
upper mids
lower treble
middle treble
upper treble
super treble

as opposed to the other one that summarises many of these segments and is therefore less accurate but easier to understand for newcomers.

Nov 2, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #79 of 255
Thanks Chris, I'll get busy translating that this evening

Nov 4, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #80 of 255
hi, i've been following this thread, quite interesting, Chris, thank you once again, bow.
followed all you indications, so have been able to do some measurements.
the critical iem used has been Pai Audio MR3. i guess Audio Technica AT-IM02 also could be suitable (its mess with high impedance sources is well known, will try them next time).
hope they are ok, because compared my measures of DX90 and Mojo (this one, specially) with yours, and they match (although MR3 are not TF10, the result is very similar).
anyway, feel free to remove it, if you consider they are not appropriated.

Benjie S5

the response of AGPTek C05 is slightly better, but this isn't bad either, for such a budget dap.
notable hiss with MR3; too few volume steps.

Measures (@ 1KHz, 0dBFS, no clipping), using DMM:
Output impedance: 0.9Ω. Max power: 0.51Vrms(33Ω).

Edit: xDuoo X3 removed, to separate it from Benjie S5, and because more info added for xDuoo X3 (new post).

Nov 5, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #81 of 255
Thanks a bunch, @hakuzen!!! 
smile.gif

It's especially nice to see some measurements of the xDuoo.

If you don't mind me asking, how is its output? Is there a lot of hiss (especially as the MR3 is among the more/most sensitive multi-BA IEMs)? I know that the X2 was/is quite hissy.

Also, does RockBox for the X3 finally support both micro SD slots?

Nov 5, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #82 of 255
rockbox supports both microsd in xduoo x3. the second one appears as "<microsd1>" folder in the root of the first one, so you can manage it like any folder.

there is noticeable hiss with mr3. much more than in dx90, d14, and mojo (in order, dx90 is the quietest). you can notice more hiss in benjie s5.

i'm doing an a/b comparison (x3/dx90), using mr3, and it's hard to find noticeable differences. x3 has lower resolution, is less detailed and thin overall than dx90. but it also costs 1/5 of dx90 cost (bought last one for 66€ in gearbest). i can't compare it with many sources, because own only a few, but guess its resolution, detail, imaging, separation, extension, neutrality, soundstage, are far above its price. it doesn't sound dark nor too thick, but lows and mids have a bit more body than in dx90. lows are not as fast and punchy than dx90, they have longer decay, a bit more rumble. the only matter x3 is on par (if not above), is soundstage (maybe a bit wider and deep), but not big difference overall..
anyway, it's not colored, quite balanced and neutral tonally.

sound quality overall is very good (i guess comparable with 200€ sources). build quality, stock user interface, battery, are another matter. rockbox is a must. buttons rattle. it gets hot (specially if charging while playing); some components got expanded once, and couldn't press any button (no throw). but i found myself using it as portable frequently, instead of carrying dx90 or mojo. it lasts more than 5 playing hours (but carrying a small charger/powerbank with a 18650 battery, you can get another 5 hours).

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #83 of 255
Topping NX1a

Unloaded and loaded with Pai Audio MR3.

Low gain:                                                                                          High gain (note the bass roll-off in both unloaded and loaded!):

(used Zishan DSD as source)

Measures (@ 1KHz, 0dBFS), using DMM:
Output impedance: <0.02Ω (measured at low gain).
Max. output unloaded (and clipping): high gain, 4.09Vrms; low gain, 3.26Vrms; (both, amplifying a 1.87Vrms signal)
Max. output at 64Ω (no clipping, low distortion): 2Vrms (in both low and high gain).

Hiss (while not playing music):
In low gain, the hiss is maximum (and clearly noticeable) at minimum volume, and goes lower when raising the volume (it is low at 3/4 volume, and it disappears at maximum volume).
In high gain, you get maximum hiss at minimum and maximum volume, less hiss at medium (12h) volume.

I'd use this device in low gain mode, to avoid the bass roll-off, because there is insignificant difference in undistorted output power between them.

Edit: deeper measures, found a big difference response between high and low gain.

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #84 of 255
Cayin C5

(used iBasso DX90 as source)

High gain, no bass boost (unloaded + loaded) (+DX90 unloaded, as reference)
(there is insignificant difference with low gain)

High gain, Bass boost (unloaded + loaded) (+no bass boost, unloaded, as reference)

Output impedance: 0.03Ω.
Max power: high gain, 7.3Vrms; low gain, 2.636Vrms. (both, amplifying a 1.87Vrms signal)

noticeable hiss with MR3, greater when higher volume.

the slight ramp from lows to highs suggests some tiny coloration (to bright sound).

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #87 of 255
iBasso D14 Bushmaster

D14, unloaded and w/Pai Audio MR3, and w/MR3(3BA),iBasso IT03(DD+2BA),SenferUE(DD),VSonicGR07classic(DD),HE400i, x5 zoom (2dB scale):

Results using high gain don't differ from this significantly.

Output impedance: phones out, <0.1Ω; line out: 101Ω.
Max. output unloaded: high gain, 3.963Vrms; low gain, 2.349Vrms; line out: 1.58Vrms; amplifier mode, 4.21Vrms (with 1.892Vrms in).
But measured 3.02Vrms before it starts clipping.

No hiss; you only can hear hiss in high gain, from 3h, for the MR3 (but this volume would be far too loud for sensitive low impedance phones).

Despite of the slight highs roll-off, i'm using this DAC/amp to measure IEMs; it's my best DAC for measuring nowadays, because Mojo has issues with critical IEMs, and the USB DAC of my iBasso DX90 generates lot of noise (still don't know why). Very complete and good DAC/Amp overall.

Edit: re-measured it, so had to change the whole post

Nov 9, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #88 of 255
you can just use RMAA(and/or your computer output settings) at 48khz or higher so that another low pass filter is used for the DAC if you feel like stuff after 15khz are significant for whatever you try to measure at the time.

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #89 of 255
  you can just use RMAA(and/or your computer output settings) at 48khz or higher so that another low pass filter is used for the DAC if you feel like stuff after 15khz are significant for whatever you try to measure at the time.

great, thanks for the heads up! didn't know that, total newbie here.
i'll try 48KHz to make all new tests; shall try RMAA instead of Audacity for recording, as well (didn't found ASIO, or Kernel Stream in Audacity). using REW for measuring IEMs.
got many new thingies to test; but it's important to set my best gear up before starting a new measuring roundup.

Nov 9, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #90 of 255

great, thanks for the heads up! didn't know that, total newbie here.
i'll try 48KHz to make all new tests; shall try RMAA instead of Audacity for recording, as well (didn't found ASIO, or Kernel Stream in Audacity). using REW for measuring IEMs.
got many new thingies to test; but it's important to set my best gear up before starting a new measuring roundup.

REW?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back