The Raptor power supply....
Aug 29, 2006 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Ray Samuels

Member of the Trade: Ray Samuels Audio
I would like to introduce to all Raptor's owners the new redesigned power supply that will be offered as an upgrade for a very low price of $200.00 ONLY.

This newly designed printed circuit board houses a custom-built toroidal power transformer, constructed to our exact specs, diameter, height, current & voltage, by one of the best respected manufacturers in high-end audio, PLITRON.

The printed circuit board also houses a 3.5A regulated 12VDC switching power supply for the filament of the tubes. All caps offered in this power supply are panasonic high temp rated at 105 degrees C.

This fully functional power supply is intended to fully replace your Raptor's existing power supply.

The new power supply runs cold to the touch, with very little heat is generated internally, no starting noise is associated with it when the power switch is turned on, no more mechanical noise associated with this design, and reduced magnetic field.

This new power supply gives the Raptor a new level of outstanding performance that is up there with the best of the high end headphone amps. This upgrade includes all parts & labor.

For those who can not afford this upgrade, we can modify your existing power supply by removing your 12VDC power supply & installing the new switching power supply, the same offered in the new power supply, for only $50.00 + shipping. Your power supply will run barely warm to the touch, just like the new one, and it won't give that starting hum noise when the switch is turned on.

Thanks,
Ray Samuels

Aug 29, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 35
URL:
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k9...els/DSC_05.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k9...s/DSC_0004.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k9...s/DSC_0009.jpg

IMG:
DSC_05.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

Sep 1, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Many e-mails from owners of the Raptors are asking about the ultimate upgrade of the power supply & what is being done for the $200.00 charge + $18.00 shipping fed-ex 2-3 days express savor with tracking #.
Look at the very first picture of the power supply, that is a fully functional power supply, it will replace your existing power supply in the Raptor's power supply chassis, so the only thing we are keeping from your existing power supply
is the chassis & the DC cable.
Thanks.
Ray Samuels

Sep 2, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 35
Ray, I am trying to decide between the full upgrade and the partial upgrade. I've been using my Raptor for close to 1 1/2 years and with the exception of heat and a slight noise when I get my ear close to the ps, I've had no problems. The heat and the noise have not affected my enjoyment of the amp. Is there any advantage in terms of sound quality between the existing ps and the $50 upgrade or is it merely to address the heat issue? Based upon what you wrote in your initial post, there will be an improvement in the sound quality with the full upgrade.

Sep 6, 2006 at 2:02 PM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Ray, I am trying to decide between the full upgrade and the partial upgrade. I've been using my Raptor for close to 1 1/2 years and with the exception of heat and a slight noise when I get my ear close to the ps, I've had no problems. The heat and the noise have not affected my enjoyment of the amp. Is there any advantage in terms of sound quality between the existing ps and the $50 upgrade or is it merely to address the heat issue? Based upon what you wrote in your initial post, there will be an improvement in the sound quality with the full upgrade.

I truely recommend to all the Raptor's owners that can't offors the Super power supply for now, to go with the partial up-date as it cuts the heat factor & eliminates the turn on noise, as to the sound quality, this up-grade addresses the heat issue ONLY. This mod was done, first, to our Australian friend & head-fier's Raptor, Loco.
Thanks.
Ray Samuels

Sep 6, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #6 of 35
Will this be an additional-cost option on new Raptors?

Sep 6, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Will this be an additional-cost option on new Raptors?

Hi James..
You have this option on your Raptor my friend.
you are all set.
As to the new Raptors that will ship to new customers, ONLY, the Super power supply will be offered from now & on. NO extra charge is added to the price of the new Raptor, as it is still $1175.00
Cheers.
ray samuels

Sep 6, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
Hi James..
you are all set.
As to the new Raptors that will ship to new customers, ONLY, the Super power supply will be offered from now & on. NO extra charge is added to the price of the new Raptor, as it is still $1175.00
Cheers.
ray samuels

No, I only have the $50 upgrade. Not the "super" PS.
frown.gif

Sep 6, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
No, I only have the $50 upgrade. Not the "super" PS.
frown.gif

Hi James...
When i had your at my place there were no Plitron available yet, & did not know what my cost would be.
But yours should be running like a champ.
Ray Samuels

Sep 6, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #10 of 35
The Raptor's super power supply is not & was not meant to be a profitable project for me. Infact it is just the opposite of that. But I long to give my customers the best service I know how with out breaking my back. This Super power supply should cost way more than 3-4 times the money I am asking for, due to all the expenses that I went through to pay for a new gerber file, manufacturing the new pc brd, having Plitron design a special toroidal for my need, also having a very powerfull universal 12VDC switching power supply implemented in the design. It is sad to see some one taking my good intension & twisting it the wrong way to muddy the water & plant some doubt in the mind of the readers.
I have just, now, today, the 6th of September 2006, finished the FIRST up-graded Raptor's power supply, for the very FIRST head-fier from UK, & it is on the burn-in table now as I type this post. I have many power supplies on their way for the up-grade, but this is the ONLY, "FIRST" Super power supply that has been up-graded but NOT yet SHIPPED.

Please note the last three words from the last paragraph,
(NOT YET SHIPPED), which means no one has got this super power supply yet.
Why have I been accused of using old parts out of the OLD power supplies to install in the NEW power supplies when I have NOT SHIPPED any up-graded Super power supply YET?
Man this makes me sick in my stomach as someone, some where has nothing better to do but come with lies like that.
Ray Samuels

Sep 6, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
Hi James..
you are all set.
Cheers.
ray samuels

Great. My Raptor wasn't selling at $325 below retail before this was announced. Now what? I'm used to non-source gear holding its value a lot better than this.

Ray, the above isn't meant as a criticism against you. I know you need to do what you need to do, and I know that new buyers will be thrilled that the price hasn't gone up, but I must admit that when I bought a Raptor I expected it to holds its value similar to your other amps. Am I correct in my understanding that for existing owners, the two options are (1) a $50 upgrade that does not have sonic benefits; and (2) a $200 upgrade that carries with is sonic benefits?

BTW (and a bit off topic), I'll be sending in my Hornet tomorrow for the "M" mod -- now worries about me trying to sell that anytime soon, as I already love it and know it's only going to get better.

Thanks,

Tom

Sep 7, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #12 of 35
I am one of the ones that is getting the $200 upgrade. I've used my Raptor without a problem for about 16 months. I'm getting the upgrade with the hope that there will be an improvement in the sound quality. I would not expect to get the new ps after using the one I have for over a year without a problem. People pay good money to get upgrades to ps's from other manufacuturers why shouldn't it be the same here. The fact that Ray is including the $200 ps upgrade in new Raptors for the same price should be considered a good thing. I can't expect that an amp won't change over time thereby reducing the value of my amp for resale. There are amps and cables that are sold that are updated at a ridiculous pace (imo) and the price of the older model sufferes. I suppose Ray could have included the $50 upgrade in new Raptors and offered the $200 upgrade as an option as other manufacturers do. He didn't, he is offering a product that costs more for the same retail price. Shouldn't this be applauded?

Sep 7, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

I suppose Ray could have included the $50 upgrade in new Raptors and offered the $200 upgrade as an option as other manufacturers do. He didn't, he is offering a product that costs more for the same retail price. Shouldn't this be applauded?

Maybe it's just me but for the owners whose amps are still under warranty shouldn't the $50 "upgrade" be free since it fixes the known heat and hum issues?

Sep 7, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
Maybe it's just me but for the owners whose amps are still under warranty shouldn't the $50 "upgrade" be free since it fixes the known heat and hum issues?

My power supply operated without a problem. I've used if for 16 months without a failure. My wood furniture that it sits on does not have burn marks from the ps. If others have had problems then those should be addressed. But I haven't had a problem. Ray had performed a free upgrade or change to address a problem something he considered a problem early on.

The hum that has been discussed, can only be heard in my amp when I put my ear close to the ps. No matter how close I am to the ps when my headphones are on, I don't hear a sound. It was like that from the beginning and has never been a problem. I don't feel that is a warranty issue.

Sep 7, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Shouldn't this be applauded?

Depends on your perspective. Such a value-drop on an amp purchased nearly two years ago is not so much of an issue. But more recent buyers (say, within the past 3-6 months) would have liked the same timeframe during which their amps retained value that you had.

I completely understand that it is not feasible for RS Audio to upgrade all existing Raptor owners for free. That would not be a reasonable expectation. And by using the new "super" PS as the standard for all new Raptors while maintaining the same price is a boon to new buyers.

However, in an industry & hobby where upgraditus and the associated equipment turnover is quite common, it is nice to maintain one's investment as long as possible thereby enabling the resale/upgrade process (or at least try). Now whether the new PS actually provides any sonic improvement, or what the delta is compared to the original, we don't really know atm. No claims have been explictly stated. But the implication is that there should be so everyone wonders, thus driving existing amps' value to new lows. Quote:

There are amps and cables that are sold that are updated at a ridiculous pace (imo) and the price of the older model sufferes.

In the DIYFSE market perhaps. But I count four updates to the Raptor in the past six months (that I know of, anyway). I don't think Cary or MF make such changes so rapidly, or without announcements well in advance. Larger companies need longer lead times. Now, you pay for that too, in the up-front cost. And you can argue that you get more value from a smaller, more nimble niche company. And to expect any audio gear to maintain value for any time at all is probably not a reasonable expectation either. I understand all that.

It's not unreasonable however, that many existing owners might think there could have been ways of marketing the new PS as a value-ad while preserving value of existing customers gear, at least for a time, such as what you suggested Mike. I don't expect, nor want a response to this post. It's less a matter of right or wrong, and more about perspective. But it's not unthinkable that some owners feel left way out of the loop on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back