The Perfect Song?
Jan 19, 2005 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 153

BuddhaSack

100+ Head-Fier
Ok-- So I got the Senn HD650 and my Bada amp fired up and ready to go... I have a friend over who thinks I'm a GIGANTIC MORON for spending all the cash on this stuff (I don't care what they think anyways). I want to show them the light, I want to show them how incredible sound can be through headphones, I want them to know the TRUTH!!! What song do I play them?

Don't limit yourself to one.. I want the best of all types of genres.

For example for womens vocals there is a song on O' Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack called "Down to the River to Pray" If i'm not getting goosebumps while listening to this something is wrong. (note I'm not religious AT ALL).

Jan 19, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #2 of 153
Stairway to Heaven?
tongue.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #6 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by dominator
Stairway to Heaven?
tongue.gif

Hard to disagree.

Some well-recorded rock/metal albums to check out:
Tool - Lateralus (the album and more specifically the song itself)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step
Rage Against The Machine - Self-Titled

I'd recommend some great Jazz, but unfortunately I don't have any truly well-recorded stuff in my collection! It'll sound spectacular anyway. Check out some Miles Davis (Kind of Blue is a good starter album), Oscar Peterson, Dave Brubeck,

Electronic:
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Infected Mushroom - Converting Vegetarians
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
The Crystal Method - Vegas

P.S. How's the Bada? I'm getting one soon.

Jan 19, 2005 at 6:31 AM Post #8 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddhaSack
For example for womens vocals there is a song on O' Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack called "Down to the River to Pray" If i'm not getting goosebumps while listening to this something is wrong. (note I'm not religious AT ALL).

You don't have to be religious to enjoy a song with religious elements. No excuse is necessary, unless you think it'll win you brownie points or something.

Jan 19, 2005 at 6:34 AM Post #9 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion

P.S. How's the Bada? I'm getting one soon.

Sounds great to my ears... Don't have anything to compare it too (hopefully I won't have too much to compare it to in the future as my wallet is begging for mercy--literally--last night it crawled on it's little leather legs and got down on its little leather knees and cried for a good half hour). Was going to go w/ something more expensive (wooaudio), but decided to start a little slower. I've used the Ety4p, Shure E3, Shure E5, HD650, and ER6i-- they all sound better w/ the amp than w/o it, and the HD650 is definitely goosebump inducing.

Just d/l the Katie Melua song, really really nice. All great suggestions people, I'm lovin it!

Jan 19, 2005 at 6:42 AM Post #11 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
You don't have to be religious to enjoy a song with religious elements. No excuse is necessary, unless you think it'll win you brownie points or something.

Nope, just didn't want to dissuade people from listening to it due to it's religious nature (some people turn off at the sound of anything religious). I already mentioned how much I liked it in my post--you def. do not need to be religious to enjoy music w/ religious elements (but i we both already knew that). I was just trying to say that it's the sound of the vocals that I love and not the message within. I'm not religious at all, but there is something holy about that womans voice. Has anybody else heard it, and if you have-- thoughts?

Jan 19, 2005 at 7:01 AM Post #12 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddhaSack
Good one!

Actually, I was joking about Stairway since it would be so cliche.... but, oh well.
tongue.gif

Perhaps put on some Pink Floyd, that would be very cool.

Maybe "Welcome to the Machine", or "Comfortably Numb", or "Time", or.... I don't know, pick something cool.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 7:06 AM Post #13 of 153
Comes A Time - Neil Young.

This song just does it for me. Did when it was released in 1977 and still does. It's so "life" in so many ways. The entire albulm chills me out, but especially this title song.

Nice thread, BTW. It will be fun to follow.

Jan 19, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #14 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by dominator
Actually, I was joking about Stairway since it would be so cliche.... but, oh well.
tongue.gif

Yeah, I kinda got that too, but I put it on nonetheless and the mixture of different musical elements sounded really good, I wouldn't make them listen to the whole song though. Joke or not, a good choice.

Jan 19, 2005 at 8:25 AM Post #15 of 153
I tend to favor pop-rock and progressive rock...

Eagles, Millenium concert- Hotel California, Peaceful easy Feeling

The Police, Live 1983 Synchronicity tour- Walking in your footsteps, Wraped around your Finger. The intro to these tunes is amazing, stweart copelands percussion and Andy summers lush chorus tones are breathtaking.

Queensryche, Empire- Silent Lucidity

Dreamtheater, Live at Budokan- Hollow Years, Trial of tears, Goodnight Kiss, Solitary Shell

John Petrucci / Jordan Rudess, An Evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess- State of Grace

Eric Johnson, Venus Isle... anything off that CD, IMHO one of the best engineered recordings ever.

IMHO all phenominal recordings, and fun CDs to listen to as well.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back