The PENON official thread
Nov 16, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #11,551 of 14,000
He mentions 3 reviews, I am one of them. Butastur is interesting IEM. Its an uncolored reference tuning with a slight bass boost. Very nice sounding all BA set that rewards with the best cables and sources attached to them. The only other 10BA set I own is the Tansio Mirai TSMR-10 which I bet I am the only owner in the greater half of the US to own one.

Very much comparable to an IEM that cost almost double when it came out. I like the Butastur over the 14BA EE Zeus which again cost me a cool 1K when I first bought it from Drop which was at one point sold for $2,300. Dont know if thats because of how good the Butastur is or how bad the Zeus was for that kind of money. I am thinking a bit of both.

Nov 16, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #11,552 of 14,000
Nov 16, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #11,553 of 14,000
He mentions 3 reviews, I am one of them. Butastur is interesting IEM. Its an uncolored reference tuning with a slight bass boost. Very nice sounding all BA set that rewards with the best cables and sources attached to them. The only other 10BA set I own is the Tansio Mirai TSMR-10 which I bet I am the only owner in the greater half of the US to own one.

Very much comparable to an IEM that cost almost double when it came out. I like the Butastur over the 14BA EE Zeus which again cost me a cool 1K when I first bought it from Drop which was at one point sold for $2,300. Dont know if thats because of how good the Butastur is or how bad the Zeus was for that kind of money. I am thinking a bit of both.
tx alot mate. your review is nice but i get lost in cables lol
now in more simple term i get it.

i still have fresh impressions of one month listening to 64audio U12T and U18T....U12T was quite OK, smooth U shape but mids weren't my cup of tea timbre wise.

uncolored reference kind tell everything i need in term of expectation, it will not be bassy fun, not analytical rendering, now, big question is about mid range timbre and dynamic...

Nov 16, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #11,554 of 14,000
yes....i underline their 3 review on headfi. this on is too disgressive....too much cable pairing etc...so i seek more simple less wordy impressions even if its a very nice review. some reviewers talk more to us than other, it all depend of your audiophile mind.
and i seek comparison again 64audio IEMs.
It's a specialized IEM, one made on a made-to-order basis. So you want reviews, but ones that don't talk about cables....lol. All these reviews here in this insane place (Head-Fi) talk to us.........not that many normal folks could care.

Nov 16, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #11,556 of 14,000
Beyond the cable match ups. Its included cable is fine, It is actually a good pairing due to being a nice crystal copper variant with modularity- good for all BA sets. I think sources play a greater role in just how much you will get out of the Butastur even more so than cables.

It is uncolored in the sense that it has a level of transparency that a lot of IEMs mask with their particular sound tunings. Not so much the Butastur. If you connect a brighter sounding neutral source. That is exactly how your going to hear the Butastur but if you connect it to a warm full bodied musical sounding source. This also comes through with the Butastur.

Reason why I went into cable pair ups is due to folks asking what matches well with them. With the Butastur you can tell what the cables are doing as much as the sources you attach them with. But first order of the sound chain is. Just how much your sources will play a part in how they sound. I have seen some folks say the Butastur can sound thin. It can if you have a source that is neutral thin sounding. Out of my DX300Max, there is no thin ness to be heard in any part of the Butastur and that is using its included cable.

So that was where it really showed me just how transparent of sources and cables plays a part of how they sound. American Spirit who helped co create the Butastur was doing some cable pairings as well to get them to the sound level he wanted. The Butastur has become a tester for all things cables and sources for me due these factors. They can be a camelion of sorts. Changes to the sound of what is connected to them.

Nov 16, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #11,559 of 14,000
The wild part is when the Serial came out it was one (if not the most) neutral IEM Penon ever made. Now with Serial Mark 2, QUATTRO we get the additive of two 10mm bass drivers to boot? Wild, as now maybe the Serial will have a younger wilder brother to generate havoc around the neighborhood.

Screen Shot 2023-11-17 at 4.29.15 AM.png

Nov 16, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #11,560 of 14,000
yes....i underline their 3 review on headfi. this on is too disgressive....too much cable pairing etc...so i seek more simple less wordy impressions even if its a very nice review. some reviewers talk more to us than other, it all depend of your audiophile mind.
and i seek comparison again 64audio IEMs.
Sound like you would enjoy my review...

... if I ever have one those Butastur IEMs :dt880smile:

86b5dp.jpg

Nov 16, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #11,561 of 14,000
hey guys, anybody have tested or reviewed the Night Oblivion Butastur?

I was expecting lotta reviews and sound impressions but i either miss it or dont see it...i mean there 3 reviews on headfi but i struggle to get an idea of the sound still....i expect crazy layering-imaging with 10ba as well as rich lively macro dynamic. the bass i expect it fast and round, not thin due to graph that show proper full range bass apart perhaps sub roll off?

i mean 10 knowles BA for 600$ is something quite exceptional....could it compete with overhyped big boi like the 64audio U12T? this is my question here. do it offer great sound value technicaly wise and did tuning is refined and cohesive enough to be consider high end?

ill do my best to review those, even if i have to throw $ to do so for plain sound value reviewing curiosity.

other question would be: is there any other 10 knowles or sonion BAs IEM in sub600$ price range right now?
There is some drama over Penon and Butastur over at HFGF. HBB is saying his set had either cigarette ash or dirt/dust built into the faceplate. He tried contacting Penon and @AmericanSpirit (who didn't want to pay head-fi's fees to promote the Butastur, so he went to HFGF to promote and market it) and didn't get a replacement pair for months.

There's a huge thread over at HFGF if you want to find out more about the IEM or the drama behind it. Looks like you already found the Butastur thread on head-fi.

Nov 16, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #11,562 of 14,000
It's a specialized IEM, one made on a made-to-order basis. So you want reviews, but ones that don't talk about cables....lol. All these reviews here in this insane place (Head-Fi) talk to us.........not that many normal folks could care.
man tbh i dont get your lunatics statement.....so plz f off here...its non sens what you write.
im truely curious about Butastur and will review them asap.
and their a thread about these IEM (an helpful headfier PM me about it)....way more informative than your lunatics things....

i publish review on headfi since 10 years. i dont think you can learn me anything mate.

so keep your game with you. indeed, im not in it at all.

Nov 16, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #11,563 of 14,000
There is some drama over Penon and Butastur over at HFGF. HBB is saying his set had either cigarette ash or dirt/dust built into the faceplate. He tried contacting Penon and @AmericanSpirit (who didn't want to pay head-fi's fees to promote the Butastur, so he went to HFGF to promote and market it) and didn't get a replacement pair for months.

There's a huge thread over at HFGF if you want to find out more about the IEM or the drama behind it. Looks like you already found the Butastur thread on head-fi.
wow...that seem a hot topic...perhaps it explain some reaction above.
Wasnt aware of all these dramas.

and to some extend, dont really care. since im all about Sound Value of those 10ba.

today i ask about Butastur on Chifi Love too and get one guy telling me their QC issue, i guess its this very faceplate thing. i understand better now...

tx alot for this informative post mate. ill go read more on hifiguide.

and its a bit sad how this turn out.

Nov 16, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #11,564 of 14,000
1700146404002.png

4.5mm custom dynamic driver for High frequency
8mm graphene diaphragm for Medium frequency
2 X10mm composite diaphragm for Low frequency

Impedance : 16 Ohm
Sensitivity: 100dB
Frequency response : 5-30kHz
wowow...really...thats incredible!

Penon Quattro might be the perfect Serial upgrade or complement.

cant wait to see a graph.

Serial is in my top3 Penon IEM right now. just incredible. UM 3DT beater for me.

Nov 16, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #11,565 of 14,000
It's wild how things has change. I have the Serial and i enjoy it dearly, but i would say the Serial was no where near neutral with its bass performance. The bass definitely colored the whole spectrum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back