The PENON official thread
Feb 25, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #7,681 of 14,042
Not sure who has H50 here, but there may be some impressions over at the ISN thread? I personally never got round to picking them up because MMCX. Penon didn’t do themselves many favours using different connectors for their two lines, it has to be said.
I have 'em...

Feb 25, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #7,682 of 14,042
The Large, deep Bass goes to the Globes. Mids is a matter of taste. Fast, fluid engaging goes to the Globes. Engaging but chill - The Serials.
Treble resolution - the Globes, simply brighter of the two. The Serial treble lingers longer though...

The Globe is my long-term de facto choice of monitors for bass, which should give a fairly good idea of the things it’s good at.

B5DCA92D-EEF2-4794-9B6E-AA3B755E35B0.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #7,683 of 14,042
What about Globe versus EST50? I did think about Globe before buying a Serial but I think I want more treble and air than the Serial provides.

Feb 25, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #7,684 of 14,042
What about Globe versus EST50?
If the EST50s belong to the Volts tuning family, the Globes are better in the treble department, by output volume
I did think about Globe before buying a Serial but I think I want more treble and air than the Serial provides.
The Globes it is.
Outside of the Penon ecosystem, H50 is a treble head set. You should consider this, too.
It doesn't have that very high staging as the Serial, but the 50s are staging ocean wide and deep and can handle orchestra easy peasy. Will do holographic imaging minus that super high domed ceiling from the Serials. A little caution though, on treble resolution. They're not very forgiving on bad, sibilant recordings. This issue considered, the treble's articulate, very well extended, air's a plenty...

Feb 25, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #7,685 of 14,042
Feb 25, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #7,686 of 14,042
Feb 25, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #7,687 of 14,042
Technicalities :
Globes, very efficient, direct to phone is very good enough. High and deep sound stage. Very fast, decent detailed transients. Best for DM, prog, speed metal.
Serials, Not as efficient as the Globes, approx. 6db difference in efficiency.
Huge Sound field, as in huge usd1,699 sound field. Very High Ceiling, Very wide and decently deep to generate holographic imaging on large musical ensembles.
If both were re-creating a rave party, with Globes your on the dj mixing desk, whilst on the Serials, your on the mosh pit under a large dome of sound.
On a decent source, albeit large venue can be had, Serials can pin point source of voices, instruments, etc. Due to this (enormous staging) there is the impression transients are not as fast as the Globes, it can be a good thing, esp. Ambient and most post rock.
Both will handle complex passages very well, but if the performance is both complex and a lot of individual instruments involved - the Serials will always play it better.

Tuning. Both sets have neutral Mids, Serial is the more Neutral of the two.
The Serials are more organic, natural, open air as opposed to the energetic Globes.
The Large, deep Bass goes to the Globes. Mids is a matter of taste. Fast, fluid engaging goes to the Globes. Engaging but chill - The Serials.
Treble resolution - the Globes, simply brighter of the two. The Serial treble lingers longer though...

IMG_E2747.JPG
So, for Gangnam music such as the above track, which set should I play with?
For a re-enactment of the venue, I'd choose the Serials.
For monitoring the event - I'd choose the Globes.
Both will party down hard and in the end, the Serials will be with you till the after party hours...
Based on the description, it sounds like the Globe is literally like an enhanced Orb with almost the same sound signature but with a better treble, probably brighter and with more sparkles. As for the Serial, I think this is much more of my preference. A bit more linear and the staging is a bit away from the listener (not sure if I got that right) and somehow "imperfect"—in a good way—wherein it is less fluid, and a not-so-fast transients which probably could be perceived as "natural" sounding. And oh, that "treble that lingers longer" is what I'm looking for indeed. I still decided to choose Volts, hoping it has the same characteristics.

Feb 26, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #7,688 of 14,042
Based on the description, it sounds like the Globe is literally like an enhanced Orb with almost the same sound signature but with a better treble, probably brighter and with more sparkles.
Correct! Complementary as a matter of fact. Whilst the Orbs are chill, Globes are the get up and go! set, brighter up top
As for the Serial, I think this is much more of my preference. A bit more linear and the staging is a bit away from the listener (not sure if I got that right)
Correct. The imaging projectile is way away from the face, mids and voices are on the centre middle
and somehow "imperfect"—in a good way—wherein it is less fluid, and a not-so-fast transients which probably could be perceived as "natural" sounding.
(Serial) Because of its large staging, we can say that the perceived sound takes a while to reach our head periphery.
And oh, that "treble that lingers longer" is what I'm looking for indeed. I still decided to choose Volts, hoping it has the same characteristics.

With a fairly powerful amp from your source, they can be the same as the Serial, BUT larger scale of imaging, larger everything. The only condition with regards to the treble output, the Serial's output is louder. On the other hand, the Volt's treble is 100% hi-fi, albeit less pronounced...
IMG_E2760.JPG

Similar to the Globes and Serial comparisons, there is again no wrong answer here. It's a matter of priorities.
The Globes are energetic, nice sparkles, big bass, neutral detailed mids

A very nice question, later please...

The H50, wide u shape, extended treble, sub bass emphasised, is more detailed, more holographic and the 3d effects are simply wow on them.
The 50s more air, more sparkle.
The Big difference, scale of imaging is smaller on them, larger on the Globes...
IMG_E2757.JPG

More coming up...

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #7,689 of 14,042
Based on the description, it sounds like the And oh, that "treble that lingers longer" is what I'm looking for indeed. I still decided to choose Volts, hoping it has the same characteristics.

If by “treble that lingers longer” you mean the overtones, reverb trails and decay of cymbals and other percussive hits for instance, yes the Volt with its EST treble is glorious. Head and shoulders above the Globe.

And… no one asked, but this is also one area where the Impact really shines. It has so much crazy detail in its treble it’s like crack.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #7,690 of 14,042
Hello, new to this thread, but considering buying the Penom Serial, which unfortunately seems out of stock. Does anyone know if production has ended? Or are they are just restocking?

Feb 26, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #7,691 of 14,042
Hello, new to this thread, but considering buying the Penom Serial, which unfortunately seems out of stock. Does anyone know if production has ended? Or are they are just restocking?
It happens sometimes with Penon iems, should come back in stock soon.

Feb 26, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #7,692 of 14,042
If by “treble that lingers longer” you mean the overtones, reverb trails and decay of cymbals and other percussive hits for instance, yes the Volt with its EST treble is glorious. Head and shoulders above the Globe.

And… no one asked, but this is also one area where the Impact really shines. It has so much crazy detail in its treble it’s like crack.

EST

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #7,693 of 14,042
Feb 27, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #7,694 of 14,042
Penon are out of the Serial and H50 at the moment - I emailed about the H50 and they said there should be a restock in due course (no date given). I wonder if they have diverted manufacturing capacity to fulfil Impact orders?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back