The PENON official thread
Apr 15, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #13,501 of 13,664
Here’s the graph for the voltage:

IMG_3010.jpeg

I do have to wonder why bother putting EST’s in let alone four when there’s a lack of treble extension and significant roll off after 10k.

Before anyone says the EST’s also affect the lower treble etc, Penon’s own specs of the Voltage confirm and clarify that the EST’s are there for the “ultra high frequencies” - which wouldn’t be below 10khz:

IMG_3012.jpeg

You’re not going to be hearing anything that those EST’s are producing.

I feel companies are just sticking in more drivers unnecessarily, just to flex the specs when they’re completely unnecessary.
I won't be buying these - I don't think they'll offer an appreciable enough upgrade over my DTE900 to justify the expense - but isn't the graph relatively similar to that of the DTE900? The treble on them is the best I've heard, even with the roll-off. I don't think the ESTs will be wasted, even if they won't be fully utilised.

That said, this only highlights how much of a competitor the DTE900 will be to it. I think Penon will be making a mistake if they price it vastly higher than it, and any reviewers would be doing the community a service if they are able to directly compare the two.

Apr 15, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #13,502 of 13,664
I won't be buying these - I don't think they'll offer an appreciable enough upgrade over my DTE900 to justify the expense - but isn't the graph relatively similar to that of the DTE900? The treble on them is the best I've heard, even with the roll-off. I don't think the ESTs will be wasted, even if they won't be fully utilised.

That said, this only highlights how much of a competitor the DTE900 will be to it. I think Penon will be making a mistake if they price it vastly higher than it, and any reviewers would be doing the community a service if they are able to directly compare the two.
The dte900 was a nice iem but it lacked treble extension also, and made the EST’s pretty much redundant too.

They’re just taking advtange of the market appeal and hype of EST’s and people’s perception that more of them the better. Even though in reality they’re not really utilitising them and thereby not benefiting the iem or its sound by adding them.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #13,503 of 13,664
The dte900 was a nice iem but it lacked treble extension also, and made the EST’s pretty much redundant too.

They’re just taking arrange of the market appeal and hype of EST’s and the more the better. Even though in reality they’re not really utilitising them and thereby not benefiting the iem or its sound by adding them.
I haven't listened to many IEMs with ESTs, but the DTE900 sounds better in the treble than any non-EST IEM I've heard, and many who've tried it do seem to like it. So I'm doubtful that they are redundant or not benefitting the sound at all. I'm sure ESTs on an IEM with well-extended treble are even better, I just think they are doing something even with rolled off treble like in the graphs.

If everyone disagrees I'll defer knowledge to those with more experience of $600+ sets, but if the ESTs really aren't being utilised to any useful effect, then that means they could have knocked several hundreds of dollars off the cost of the DTE900 and produced the same sound, which would have completely shaked up the market. Nothing under $500`that I've heard comes close to these.

Apr 15, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #13,504 of 13,664
I haven't listened to many IEMs with ESTs, but the DTE900 sounds better in the treble than any non-EST IEM I've heard, and many who've tried it do seem to like it. So I'm doubtful that they are redundant or not benefitting the sound at all. I'm sure ESTs on an IEM with well-extended treble are even better, I just think they are doing something even with rolled off treble like in the graphs.

If everyone disagrees I'll defer knowledge to those with more experience of $600+ sets, but if the ESTs really aren't being utilised to any useful effect, then that means they could have knocked several hundreds of dollars off the cost of the DTE900 and produced the same sound, which would have completely shaked up the market. Nothing under $500`that I've heard comes close to these.
I’m not an expert and I don’t claim to be, so could they be doing more than just above 10k? Yeah of course. However when claiming they’re for the ultra highs it suggests it’s above 10k (although the term ultra is subjective for sure).

I’ve owned the dte900 and also owned several other tribrids including penon 10th, variations, Mega5est and mmk3.

I liked the dte900 and it’s a great value iem - especially if you’re over 50 and can’t hear much over 10k anyway, so you’re not missing out.

However I did find it lacked upper treble shimmer which I never found to be the case with variations, Mega5est and MMK3.

I like tribrids but I personally think EST’s are just for market appeal.

The best treble I’ve heard are from the Symphonium HSE and Dunu Mirai, both of which used ba’s for the treble only.

Anyway this is just my opinion. My main point was it’s a shame to see a lack of extension on the Voltage, which I stand by.

The Quattro which I briefly owned for its flaws, had nice treble extension l, so I expected more of the same going forward.

Apr 15, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #13,505 of 13,664
I’m not an expert and I don’t claim to be, so could they be doing more than just above 10k? Yeah of course. However when claiming they’re for the ultra highs it suggests it’s above 10k (although the term ultra is subjective for sure).

I’ve owned the dte900 and also owned several other tribrids including penon 10th, variations, Mega5est and mmk3.

I liked the dte900 and it’s a great value iem - especially if you’re over 50 and can’t hear much over 10k anyway, so you’re not missing out.

However I did find it lacked upper treble shimmer which I never found to be the case with variations, Mega5est and MMK3.

I like tribrids but I personally think EST’s are just for market appeal.

The best treble I’ve heard are from the Symphonium HSE and Dunu Mirai, both of which used ba’s for the treble only.

Anyway this is just my opinion. My main point was it’s a shame to see a lack of extension on the Voltage, which I stand by.

The Quattro which I briefly owned for its flaws, had nice treble extension l, so I expected more of the same going forward.
I don't actually think you're wrong about the frequency range they cover - at least, I looked into it and saw an interesting thread on reddit that quoted Soundrhyme saying they only cover 12 kHz and over! Which does seem very high to me (as someone whose hearing goes up to 16 kHz). Note we can't extrapolate this to be the same for the Voltage, however.

Funny how we all listen for different things - I have the Quattro and absolutely love it (second favourite set after the DTE900), but I think the DTE900 has much better treble. In any case, I can't pretend to distinguish 12 kHz+ frequencies well enough to comment on this with any authority. I certainly agree that rolling off the treble so much past 10 kHz isn't the best idea for an IEM with 4x drivers handling 12 kHz and over!

Apr 15, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #13,506 of 13,664
Hello again!!!!

After reading a few reviews I think I can say that I'm definitely... I'm a mess.

I would initially rule out the Quattro as I suspect it will be realistically similar to the Serial I already have.

So I'm hesitating between the Turbo and the 10th. On the one hand I am attracted to have a full BA but on the other hand the EST tempts me.

Between the two, which one do you think is more suitable for punk/post-punk? Are both free of sibilance?

Thank you very much!

Apr 15, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #13,507 of 13,664
Hello,

I am dropping by to share this rig. This is an analog-sounding one 😉

Attachments

• 20240415_190729.jpg
    20240415_190729.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Apr 15, 2024 at 7:33 PM Post #13,508 of 13,664
Hello again!!!!

After reading a few reviews I think I can say that I'm definitely... I'm a mess.

I would initially rule out the Quattro as I suspect it will be realistically similar to the Serial I already have.

So I'm hesitating between the Turbo and the 10th. On the one hand I am attracted to have a full BA but on the other hand the EST tempts me.

Between the two, which one do you think is more suitable for punk/post-punk? Are both free of sibilance?

Thank you very much!
Get them both and call it a day 😀

Joke aside, I've not heard the Turbo, got for my all BA EPZ 530, for now. 10AE would be my pick.

Apr 15, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #13,509 of 13,664
12352425.jpg

Penon recently sent me one of their Renata cables, and pairing it with the XE6s has yielded extremely positive initial impressions.

It's always fascinated me how the more substantial cables are able to alter our perception of soundstage dimensions, stretching them outwards or bending them more sharply around heads in a manner that's difficult to put into words. Among other changes I notice this with the Renata, creating the uncanny feeling that the stage has broadened and deepened which gives instruments more room to breathe in their own individual pockets of space.

There's also a lot to be said for the ergonomics of thicker 2 wire cables versus the usual 8 wire cables that've dominated the upper end of the market - less propensity to tangle and more rounded earhooks, yet potentially similar performance benefits. Maybe that's why we've seen more chunky 2 wire cables pop up lately.

I aim to evaluate the Renata side-by-side with Penon's ASOS+, EA's Code 24 & Liquid Links Venom in an upcoming review.

Apr 15, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #13,510 of 13,664

They’re just taking advtange of the market appeal and hype of EST’s and people’s perception that more of them the better. Even though in reality they’re not really utilitising them and thereby not benefiting the iem or its sound by adding them.
Idk about whether we need that much response above 12kHz, even though I’m an ardent fan of treble air, as you have known. First thing first, the graph above 8kHz is iffy as best and likely does not match what you hear (which would also change every day depending on how you wear the IEM).

Secondly, I noticed that there can be great stage and lovely micro details, even without the very forward upper treble that I advocate (aka 64 Audio TIA treble and Symphonium treble extension). Case and point, the Hiby Zeta has lovely upper treble detail even though it is not the focal point. Pushing upper treble can make an IEM very finicky to fit (e.g., slightly shallow fit = piercing 10-12kHz).

Apr 15, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #13,511 of 13,664
Penon recently sent me one of their Renata cables, and pairing it with the XE6s has yielded extremely positive initial impressions.

It's always fascinated me how the more substantial cables are able to alter our perception of soundstage dimensions, stretching them outwards or bending them more sharply around heads in a manner that's difficult to put into words. Among other changes I notice this with the Renata, creating the uncanny feeling that the stage has broadened and deepened which gives instruments more room to breathe in their own individual pockets of space.

There's also a lot to be said for the ergonomics of thicker 2 wire cables versus the usual 8 wire cables that've dominated the upper end of the market - less propensity to tangle and more rounded earhooks, yet potentially similar performance benefits. Maybe that's why we've seen more chunky 2 wire cables pop up lately.

Stay away from the modular version though presumably ?

Apr 15, 2024 at 11:53 PM Post #13,512 of 13,664
Stay away from the modular version though presumably ?
Well some people do love the convenience of modular plugs, along with systems like ConX that allow interchangeable 2pin & MMCX connectors.

I've fully committed to sources with 4.4mm outputs & IEMs with 2pin connectors so I don't need that flexibility, because in my experience friction-fit connections always degrade the sound compared to solder joints. The differences can be fairly minor, but I feel better knowing they aren't a factor in my system.

So it's more a peace of mind thing, knowing I own the best-sounding version of a particular cable. To my ears modular plugs can make cables sound that little bit less organic and more mechanical. Fixed plugs sound more alive with better dynamics whereas friction-fit plugs can feel dull.

Apr 16, 2024 at 1:52 AM Post #13,513 of 13,664
Penon Liqueur - The must have eartips

Nowadays, the market is flooded with a lot of eartips brands. Some of them are good, and most of them are just mediocre. However, the Penon Liqueur Orange and Black are among the top and are easy recommendations to anyone. Their unique glossy/sticky surface provides the best seal with comfort. Also, the Orange and Black are not just different colors; they have different wall thicknesses. The walls of Black eartips are slightly thicker, and the stem is harder compared to orange eartips. This gives unique choices to consumers according to their preferred sound signature. So, I am splitting the review for Orange and Black.
1713246332781.jpeg
1713246637260.jpeg

Penon Liqueur Orange – The Orange color gives them a unique and funky identity. In terms of sound, I experienced the following:

Bass

• Sub-bass – As per advertisement, the Penon Liqueur eartips improve the low end noticeably, giving sub-bass fuller definition.

• Mid-bass – I observed that there is no coloration in the mid-bass, but these eartips provide cleanliness to the kick drums and bass guitars. Due to this, mid-bass does not bleed into the mids.

Midrange

• Lower Midrange – Straight away, clear male vocals. I felt it is not just clear but opened lower midrange. If you like snare drums, then you’ll be definitely amazed.

• Upper Midrange – Guitar notes, female vocals, cymbals are noticeably clearer than stock eartips. There is no added sibilance to the vocals. Definitely the best point for these eartips.

Treble

• I observed airy treble and improved definition to notes, giving more room for sound. There is no harshness in the treble area.

1713246478470.jpeg

Penon Liqueur Black – The Black color gives them a subtle identity. In terms of sound, I experienced the following:

Bass

• Sub-bass – Rich details in the sub-bass, providing fuller depth.

• Mid-bass – There is coloration in the mid-bass, making kick drums and bass guitars more fun to listen to. But I observed slight mid-bass bleeding into the mids.

Midrange

• Lower Midrange – There is no coloration in the lower midrange. Lower midrange sounds the same as the Orange eartips.

• Upper Midrange – No sibilance in the vocals. Guitar notes, female vocals, cymbals.

Treble

• The best part of the Penon Liqueur Black is the treble improvement compared to orange. The treble feels more extended and more open. The notes are well defined, making the sound engaging. The notes of instruments like violin and flute feel more engaging.
1713246513115.jpeg
1713246540112.jpeg

1713246604499.jpeg

Conclusion

In conclusion, the Penon Liqueur Orange and Black eartips offer distinct sonic experiences, each catering to different preferences. The Orange variant provides a clear and open midrange with enhanced vocal clarity and instrument definition, making it ideal for those who prioritize detail and precision in their audio. On the other hand, the Black eartips offer rich sub-bass details and a more engaging mid-bass, perfect for listeners seeking a dynamic and immersive soundstage. Moreover, both variants boast improvements in treble extension and definition, contributing to a more enjoyable listening experience overall. Whether you lean towards the vibrant identity of the Orange eartips or prefer the subtlety of the Black, both options deliver exceptional performance and comfort. With their unique design features and tailored sound signatures, the Penon Liqueur Orange and Black eartips stand out as top contenders in the market, offering audiophiles and music enthusiasts alike an enticing choice to enhance their listening pleasure.

Apr 16, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #13,514 of 13,664
While I want the Trifecta and want to audition the Monachaa - those biotches be $$$ right now - spring is here and it's time to spend money getting out and adventuring, so for some multiple DD action, just ordered me some Quattro!

Excited to hear. I ordered express mail from Penon, how long does that usually take? NYC is me.

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #13,515 of 13,664
While I want the Trifecta and want to audition the Monachaa - those biotches be $$$ right now - spring is here and it's time to spend money getting out and adventuring, so for some multiple DD action, just ordered me some Quattro!

Excited to hear. I ordered express mail from Penon, how long does that usually take? NYC is me.
3-4 days? Congrats on the Quattro. Looking forward to see what you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back