The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Sep 21, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #196 of 2,849

Quote:
I definitely agree on the bass Dsnuts, when I first put on my 'phones I was really underwhelmed on the bass having been accustomed to my burnt-in Kicker rebrands.  And withing just a few hours the bass started to warm up.  It became much fuller than my kickers (you really notice the difference in soundstage as well).  As a plus I also look less like a lego brick wearing these.

One thing i did notice: if I press the side of the can into my head fairly hard, it seems like the driver actually disconnects--doing it again turns it on again.  I hear like a click each time I press it in hard.  I don't think that's supposed to happen--can anyone else confirm for me?  I might need to get a replacement pair.

Oh man that don't sound normal. There is no switch that I am aware of. wow. That sounds like a defect to me. I would Return that ASAP..

Sep 21, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #197 of 2,849
Yea, I'm probably gonna contact them tomorrow (I get off work early so I can call them in person).

Whats interesting is that it only happens when the pads are on (I tried it w/o the pads).  I think the suction is pulling at something.

Sep 21, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #198 of 2,849

Quote:
I actually decided I'll leave the Panny's alone on any mods, I don't want to tamper with the sound at all.  In fact, I was wondering if Panasonic sold additional pads.  If not, I guess M50 replacements then.

Heya,

I have a second pair already, and some pads in the mail coming, gonna see if I cannot tinker a Panasonic into being even more comfy and sound even more refined with a few tweaks while keeping an original in all it's warm musical glory. Will keep all informed.

Very best,

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #201 of 2,849

Quote:
Fedex, delivery exception, customer not available.  I'm just chilling at home, no slip even left.

Wow, that is some BS. 

I hear ya man, they've done that to me twice.  I had to actually get up (that's a sin) and drive to their center to get the package.  They should screw delivering packages and just store the item.

@Dsnuts - I'm leaving them on repeat on a bass-heavy track for the night.  In the morning, they should have around 15hrs. total...Not done yet...
atsmile.gif

@Malveaux - I'm looking forward to see what surgeries you perform on the 600 
popcorn.gif

Everyone that is even remotely interested in this thread should just place an order for these.  Especially before the price gets ridiculously hiked.  Like Amazon did with the M50's; those will never see around the $100 price tag that they use to have ever again.

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #202 of 2,849
I think by tomorrow you should get a good taste of that booty licious BASS.. After that they should start sounding proper..

I threw on some 2 live crew earlier today..Now thats how you listen to some 2 live crew. lol!! 

The Pannies are made for this tune!!

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #203 of 2,849
Well the Panasonic RP-HTF890E-S arrived this morning from Amazon. I literally only got 5 minutes to try them out before leaving for work so I won't comment on the sound other than the fact that even these had more bass out of the box than I was expecting (in a good way). I've left them playing my Underworld collection for the day so will have a good listen with 10 hours on them later tonight. First impressions are good though and these are seriously comfy headphones.

Dom

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #204 of 2,849
I've left them playing music all night + while I was at work, maybe it has changed a little but not much. Still very uncertain if these surpass my XB500. I did some more EQing and found that the Panasonics simply aren't as forward/"in-your-face" sounding as the XB500 so I boosted the frequencies a bit more on the EQ and it sounds more closer to my preferred signature but XB500 is for starters much more forward sounding so don't need to boost the frequencies so much to get to the wanted result.

Here's how the Panasonic EQ settings look like for me now, I use even two EQs (because when going past +6.0 boost or so I'll have to start lowering the windows slider quite a lot to avoid clipping, using another EQ works better and sounds cleaner/not distorting even without lowering the vol slider).

If comparing XB500 vs HTF600 without dolby headphone, I'd say I'd enjoy HTF600's soundstage a bit better, with dolby headphone the XB500 is an excellent match though, with HTF600 it's questionable whether it sounds better with or without it to me. It did start sounding better with dolby headphone as I boosted the frequencies more though, without EQing Dolby Headphone mudden up the sound too much but with the EQ settings it won't and the soundstage is improved and sounds more forward (especially female vocals) / in your face as well as improved positioning.

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #205 of 2,849
Listening to some Fiona Apple right now... sounds good!
Actually, after listening a couple of more hours, I don't find these OVERLY bassy
(maybe I was expecting subwoofers out of these?!?! hehehe). It has a warm sound, actually ALMOST kind of smooth to tell you the truth (unless of course a Hip/Hop, trance, etc. song pops up, then you actually notice the Bass!)

Now some Kermit Ruffins (Treme Mardi Gras, from the TREME soundtrack... completely recommended BTW...), again, smooth sound. The Shure 940s on the same track don't even compare. Yes it is more detailed but it isn't as fun... YES I'VE SAID IT!

Need more time with these though..

Thanks.

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #206 of 2,849
Still not satisfied with female vocals. When switching to XB500 it's noticable that the vocals are a bit more distant and less detailed on the Panasonics so far at least. They should have been in use for at least 25hrs now. I hope this is not a case of EU version of the Panasonics using different drivers than the US... with cheap headphones like this you'll never know. I'm willing to open the headphones and check out if some1 with an 'US' RP-HTF600 could bring some driver shots.

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #207 of 2,849
@ RPGWiz . I took off one of the pads which show the angled driver that is on the Panasonics at the beginning of the thread. You should look at that pic. If it looks the same I am thinking it is the same. I mean why would they use a different angled driver. That would make no sense.. And if you look at Malveauxs review he shows the box which the headphone came in and I can confirm that is the same exact box I got for both my pairs. Now there is suppose to be another HTFe-600-S. What the E stands for I have no idea.. Those might have a different drivers who knows.

Another thing though. You need to get used to the sound signature on the Panasonics. I mean it seems you are trying to get it to be exactly the same as your XB500s which is understandable as it is your sound preference but these are different headphones after all.. I have so many different headphones,  I like how they all sound different vs sounding the same. If they all sounded the same to me this hobby would be a boring one IMO.. But it is interesting that you are trying various ways to get that sound you are looking for on them.. I have no such needs out of my Panasonics. I love how they sound to my ears just the way they are..But I am glad at least it is comparable to you your favorite and may be an alternative to them.. In that sense what Malveaux was saying about how these might be attractive to you is on point.

@Dom. Ya I am glad your initial take on those HTF-890s are favorable.. They are definitely good for the price payed.. I love watching movies and gaming on mine..They are my favorite to use during hot summer says when anything else would mean sweat city.

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #208 of 2,849

Quote:
Listening to some Fiona Apple right now... sounds good!
Actually, after listening a couple of more hours, I don't find these OVERLY bassy
(maybe I was expecting subwoofers out of these?!?! hehehe). It has a warm sound, actually ALMOST kind of smooth to tell you the truth (unless of course a Hip/Hop, trance, etc. song pops up, then you actually notice the Bass!)

Now some Kermit Ruffins (Treme Mardi Gras, from the TREME soundtrack... completely recommended BTW...), again, smooth sound. The Shure 940s on the same track don't even compare. Yes it is more detailed but it isn't as fun... YES I'VE SAID IT!

Need more time with these though..

Thanks.

Sounding more fun than a SRH940? You sure about that?? hahaha. Ya I agree these are simply a blast to listen to music with and ultimately that is what it is all about.. Then you think about how little you spent to get this joy if listening to music and that is when it just blows your mind..The reason why this thread exists. I noticed when I tell other headfiers about these Panasonics.. Most will just ignore it.. These can't sound that good. No way. .They probably suck is what most will think. Only if they heard what these sound like.. Only if they heard.

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #210 of 2,849

Quote:
Sounding more fun than a SRH940? You sure about that?? hahaha.

LOL!!
Well NOT on every track but as an "overall" assessment, I am sure that MOST people would find
these MORE fun than even the SRH940. Even though the 940s are "treble-friendly"/"bright" they are not
fatiguing so you can listen to long hours BUT these Pannys I found them, like I said, to be smoother.

I'm liking them!
Even though a lot of sound escapes (at the level I'm listening to them), it seems it's not a big deal
(unless my co-worker sitting besides me starts throwing things at me! :p).

FOR ME, the 940s are still going to be my cans for work.
But these will be on my cubicle too in case I need more bass somedays.

BTW, Running them through JDSLabs Cmoy.
Sounding even better.!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back