The PA2V2 Thread
Jan 14, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #166 of 752

Quote:
Quote:
When did he start shipping them with action figures? LOL.  I purchased one as my first amp and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Enjoy!

He also includes darth vader :)

i wish! Good news though! i got mine today in the mail!

one question though. when i put the ac charger in the light doesnt turn on unless i physically hold the plug on one side of the port. is that normal? does the battery just need to charge?

it also seems to be causing distortion in the bass. is that normal too? its become almost grainy

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #167 of 752
You have to charge the batteries fully first. I did the same thing, horrible sound but give it a 12-hour charge and voila!.  It was my first portable amp and it's a great little device.

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #169 of 752
from what ive read its not very good running off ac. i just gave it a go on ac and it was decent. the only improvement i notice was in the mids. the bass was fairly the same, but kind of grainy. no noticeable difference in the highs. I dont think it comes with batteries, correct?

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #170 of 752
No, it doesn't come with batteries. You need to go and get some rechargeables (must be rechargeables), put them in and charge it up. It's made to have the batteries in, even if you're running it of AC.

There's a manual on Gary's home page that's pretty helpful too.

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #171 of 752
imo PA2V2 is too bulky to portable use, but it's only my point

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #172 of 752

Quote:
No, it doesn't come with batteries. You need to go and get some rechargeables (must be rechargeables), put them in and charge it up. It's made to have the batteries in, even if you're running it of AC.

i actually was just looking at that. im on my way out to get some eneloops right now

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #173 of 752

Quote:
Quote:

i actually was just looking at that. im on my way out to get some eneloops right now

I started it up with the AC not realizing there weren't batteries inside and it didn't sound good. Ran out later and got some eneloops, too. The Lego Star Wars mini-fig did not come with the amp, but that would've been a nice bonus! I thought it went nicely with the blue colors inside the amp.

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #174 of 752
PA2V2 runs great from ac, as long as there are rechargeable batteries inside, as they act as filter in that situation. Bottomline, always have batteries (rechargeable) inside the amp.

My 1700mAh last forever, when using it portable with my DAP, the battery of the DAP runs out much sooner, the amp batteries never ran out of juice yet
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #176 of 752
Any rechargeable batteries from 1500mAh and above will work just fine. As knowing the expected battery charge last around 100 hours, it's safe to assume you'll be ok. Don't forget that PA2V2 recharges batteries when plugged to an outlet.

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #177 of 752

Quote:
Do they need to be a specific type of rechargable? I got some with a camera but I feel like I will be using the amp way more often than the camera.

Nope, I've tried em' with a few different kinds and they all work well.  Right now I have some cheapo rayovacs from walmart that used to be in my kid's wii remote and even those, once fully charged, last forever. 

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #178 of 752

Quote:
from what ive read its not very good running off ac. i just gave it a go on ac and it was decent. the only improvement i notice was in the mids. the bass was fairly the same, but kind of grainy. no noticeable difference in the highs. I dont think it comes with batteries, correct?

Don't forget to set the gain for your particular cans.  If you email Gary, he'll tell ya how.  Based on the headphones I had at the time, he preset mine near the middle, but I ended up adjusting it once I got it.

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #179 of 752
Anyone have the mini3 to compare to this?

Jan 14, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #180 of 752
Well..... Mine came in the mail today.

Happy its here. I put in some eneloops and let them charge for about 6 hours. After charging, I picked it up and turned the volume knob and it barely moved. Good thing I read the manual about this and just pried the knob up a bit. Also when I first turned it on, The Volume was noisy (already unplugged from AC Adapter) but turning it up and down a few times resolved the problem. 

I am now using my phone (Nokia 5530 ExpressMusic) as source and burning it in. Its my first amp, so I can only compare amped verses unamped when I do decide to compare.

I also just got a secondhand Itouch 3rd gen today, so just loading up I tunes on the PC and updating it. Have an LOD on the way as well. Hope it reaches soon.

I did have one dissapointment though, I had ordered a Beyerdynamic DT235 with a Sansa Clip+ from B&H since Christmas, but the delivery date for the Beyers was just extended from 7 - 14 business days to 2 - 4 weeks, so I figure I will have to get them to split the order. Until then I will just have to live with my beat up and rusty old JBL Reference 410 headphones. 
frown.gif
The heat and the humidity and my rough treatment/storage has the fake leather on all of the padding coming off. They still work though, definitely tougher than the Senn 497s I had.

Anyway, just an update. Have to take a few pics to send to Gary soon
smile_phones.gif

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back