The Other Metal Thread: No Blastbeat Metal Zone!
Nov 24, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #2,538 of 2,634
Hi all.
I have no excuses for not being here except all my marketing and business plans kinda worked, at least for a while, and I've been swamped.

Here's an album that just might be my AOTY, and the best excuse for my HD800S's in a while...

Nov 24, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #2,539 of 2,634
Hi all.
I have no excuses for not being here except all my marketing and business plans kinda worked, at least for a while, and I've been swamped.

Here's an album that just might be my AOTY, and the best excuse for my HD800S's in a while...

Welcome back and big thanks for the recommendation! Don't laugh, but I was living under a rock and hadn't heard of this band. But after just one song, I'm totally hooked \m/

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #2,544 of 2,634

Fester’s Lucky 13: 2023 Year-End Summary​

Top 100 Albums of 2023 | Spotify Mix | 2023 Breakdown: Genre Lists | Reissues | New Old Discoveries | Videos | Movies | Television | Books | Fester’s Favorite Things

Epic Christmas by Margaryta Yermolayeva. Buy this or her other amazing art at https://www.etsy.com/listing/916829784/8x8-epic-christmas-ryta-holiday-winter

Heavy Metal

sorcerer-reign-1024x1024.jpg

One thing the long-suffering doom metal genre is good at is to be forgotten and left in the basement for years and years. Case in point, Pentegram, Bedemon, Pagan Altar, The Obsessed and Sorcerer all recorded demos took years, often decades to release an official album. In the case of Stockholm, Sweden’s Sorcerer, it took 26 years after they made their 1989 demo. Now they’re on album number four since that 2015 debut, In the Shadow of the Inverted Cross, and they sound better than ever. Anders Engberg’s vocals cut through the gloom and fog like a lighthouse beam, while the band whips up more up-tempo, energetic metal than is typically associated with their brand of epic doom metal. | Bandcamp

Bubbling under: Heavy Load, Gatekeeper, Tanith, Freeroad, Cirith Ungol, King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, Blood Star, Malokarpatan, Flight, The Night Eternal, Owl, Iron Savior, Deathchant, Tribunal, Megaton Sword, Smoulder. | More.

1. Spirit Adrift – Ghost at the Gallows (Century Media) | USA | Bandcamp
  2. Sorcerer – Reign of the Reaper (Metal Blade) | Sweden | Bandcamp
  3. Wytch Hazel – IV: Sacrament (Bad Omen) | UK | Bandcamp
  4. Legendry – Time Immortal Wept (No Remorse) | USA | Bandcamp
  5. Restless Spirit – Afterimage (Magnetic Eye) | USA | Bandcamp
  6. Haunt – Golden Arm (Iron Grip) | USA | Bandcamp
  7. Green Lung – This Heathen Land (Nuclear Blast) | UK | Bandcamp
  8. Godthrymm – Distortions (Profound Lore) | UK | Bandcamp
  9. Blood Lightning – Blood Lightning (Ripple) | USA | Bandcamp
  10. Dopelord – Songs for Satan (Blues Funeral) | Poland | Bandcamp
  11. Cardinal’s Folly – Live by the Sword (Soulseller) | Finland | Bandcamp
  12. Helms Deep – Treacherous Ways (Nameless Grave) | UK | Bandcamp
  13. Tailgunner – Guns for Hire (Fireflash) | UK | Buy
Doom

mansion-second-1024x1024.jpg

I’ve followed Finnish Kartanoists Mansion through their brilliant batch of four EPs starting in 2013, and First Death of the Lutheran (2018), and never for a second did I ever consider them doom metal. You wouldn’t think RYM would be lacking genre labels, but that’s what happens when they don’t adopt my completely appropriate label, psych noir. It capably encompasses the occult, goth and even prog influences. That said, “Sword of God” and “No Funeral” are quite doomy, but still far from what anyone could consider traditional doom metal. Whatever you want to call it, their second full-length is gloriously creepy, mysterious and weird. Someday the band will inspire their own cult. | Bandcamp

Bubbling under: Bell Witch, Ufomammut, Cirith Ungol, Bahboon, Tribunal, Wolvennest, KIND, Morag Tong, Domkraft, They Watch Us From the Moon, Emperors Lair, Vokonis. | More.
  1. Mansion – Second Death (Mansion) | Finland | Bandcamp
  2. REZN – Solace (REZN) | USA | Bandcamp
  3. Sorcerer – Reign of the Reaper (Metal Blade) | Sweden | Bandcamp
  4. Church Of Misery – Born Under A Mad Sign (Rise Above) | Japan | Buy
  5. Restless Spirit – Afterimage (Magnetic Eye) | USA | Bandcamp
  6. Green Lung – This Heathen Land (Nuclear Blast) | UK | Bandcamp
  7. Godthrymm – Distortions (Profound Lore) | UK | Bandcamp
  8. Witchskull – The Serpent Tide (Rise Above) | Australia | Buy
  9. Vanishing Kids – Miracle of Death (Aural Music) | USA | Bandcamp
  10. Demons My Friends – Demons Seem to Gather (Gravitoyd) | USA | Bandcamp
  11. Dopelord – Songs for Satan (Blues Funeral) | Poland | Bandcamp
  12. Saint Karloff – Paleolithic War Crimes (Majestic Mountain) | Norway | Bandcamp
  13. Cardinal’s Folly – Live by the Sword (Soulseller) | Finland | Bandcamp
Metal

witch-ripper-fight-1024x1024.jpg

Witch Ripper perhaps sells the band short in that it gives the impression they will sound like any of the literally hundreds of doom sludge bands currently toiling away, flooding the scene with music of widely variable quality. And perhaps that was true of this Seattle band when they formed in 2012 and quickly released a four song demo. But they have developed into something far more impressive over the last decade, fusing a supercharged version of proggy sludge with arena worthy vocal parts that reach for the cheap seats and unashamedly namecheck Muse, Coheed & Cambria, Queen and Bowie, along with Baroness, Torche, High on Fire and Mastodon. On top of that, their second full-length spins a pulp sci-fi yarn of a scientist searching the galaxy to cure his wife who’s in cryostasis. I admire the ambition, and their range of influences have resulted in a worthy artistic statement that is far from cringe-worthy, in comparison to the enjoyable but leaning a bit too obviously on Rush’s Hemispheres, new album from Crown Lands. | Bandcamp

Bubbling under: Malokarpatan, Diego Caicedo, Enforcer, Agriculture, Majesties, Døheimsgard, Gorod, Suffocation, Outer Heaven, Anti-God Hand, Blackbraid, Enforced, Raider, Chained to the Bottom of the Ocean, Mizmor. | More.

1. Witch Ripper – The Fight After the Fall (Magnetic Eye) | USA | Bandcamp
  2. REZN – Solace (REZN) | USA | Bandcamp
  3. Panopticon – The Rime of Memory (Bindrune) | USA | Bandcamp
  4. Church Of Misery – Born Under A Mad Sign (Rise Above) | Japan | Buy
  5. Tomb Mold – The Enduring Spirit (20 Buck Spin) | Canada | Bandcamp
  6. Horrendous – Ontological Mysterium (Season Of Mist) | USA | Bandcamp
  7. KEN mode – VOID (Artoffact) | Canada | Bandcamp
  8. Wayfarer – American Gothic (Profound Lore) | USA | Bandcamp
  9. Plague Rider – Intensities (Transcending Obscurity) | UK | Bandcamp
  10. Cruciamentum – Obsidian Refractions (Profound Lore) | UK | Bandcamp
  11. Bell Witch – Future’s Shadow Part 1: The Clandestine Gate (Profound Lore) | USA | Bandcamp
  12. Cannibal Corpse – Chaos Horrific (Metal Blade) | USA | Bandcamp
  13. Autopsy – Ashes, Organs, Blood and Crypts (Peaceville) | USA | Bandcamp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back