The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #9,016 of 11,341
everyone's opinion can be varied....it's good to have a balanced perspective.
then you get what hi fi and sound and vision both giving it 5/5 stars in their reviews, as  below.
https://www.whathifi.com/sony/mdr-z1r/review
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/sony-mdr-z1r-headphones-review

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #9,017 of 11,341
Yes I can confirm that they (Pentaconn female 4.4mm socket) do exist...and I plan to bring some in for my own usage. Need to check up on MOQ and pricing a bit later

They exist, but they are very rare and expensive and...surface mount for chassis only. There are no Female 4.4mm frehang style for the public mass yet

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #9,019 of 11,341
Now I see that you are obsessed
biggrin.gif
lol....you are too rich to have grabbed a few of those....
biggrin.gif

Me obsessed? I don't know what you mean 
tongue.gif
 And well, the way I look at it, why cheap out on the connector after going all out for the DAP and headphones.

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #9,020 of 11,341
Forgot about the Beryllium. I thought the Elear was fantastic so I have no doubt the Utopia would be the pinnacle of quality for dynamic headphones. In the end I decided to return the Elear. The Beyerdynamic 1990 is a better open backed headphone for me - technically superior while still being energetic and punchy sounding like the Elear (and $400 cheaper).

The Z1R more than satisfies as the closed counterpart but I did pre-order the MrSpeakers Aeon. That has a cool design and by all accounts has excellent comfort and sound.

I'm curious what you think of the Aeon when you get it. I've been eyeing that headphone.

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #9,021 of 11,341
  I'm curious what you think of the Aeon when you get it. I've been eyeing that headphone.

I'm also interested, but at the same time worried it will be bass lean as the Ether C Flow is reported to be by some. At least lean as compared with a bassy headphone.

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #9,022 of 11,341

I'll definitely let you know my impressions when I get them.

I've read that bass is fuller on the Aeon than on the Ether C. It's the one headphone in the MrSpeakers lineup that is more consumer oriented but still striving for balance and accuracy. It seems that some even prefer the Aeon to the Ether C.

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #9,023 of 11,341
  not exactly a purist headphone since it has more aggressive coloration compared to other TOTL headphone, this is probably why.
I found that most people who are into headphone of this caliber usually strives for neutrality quite a lot.
Other reason could be the price, since other competing "closed" headphone is more affordable (ehem ehem ZMF)

I only listen for enjoyment, so whatever works for me.

Well, I finally got to audition the Z1R at the LA CanJam this weekend. Impressions posted on the following thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/843727/canjam-socal-2017-impressions-thread/180

Bottom line for those who don't want to wade through my lengthy post there is that I liked them quite a bit, but felt they were only a marginal improvement over my Denon AH-D7100 cans. For anyone who loves the Z1R sound but can't afford them, I highly recommend trying to snag a used AH-D7100 or AH-D600 at a small fraction of the cost. The Denons provide a very similar tonal presentation at a fraction of the cost. I also think they are more comfortable. Certainly less bulky.

The matching Sony amp gets my vote for worst electronics at the show in a landslide. I generally only auditioned very high end gear, though.

I must say that I have a lot of respect for this review. I do feel that the reviewer seems a bit partial to the ZMF's, but out of the cans he tested, I'm quite familiar with the TH-900 and Z1R (heard the LCD-XC and Ethers too briefly to really judge them), and FWIW, I hear their respective tonalities almost exactly as he describes them. In this hobby, where one has become used to wildly varying listening impressions, that is almost uncanny. The only thing I cannot explain is how he comes up with the idea of the Sony sounding "thin". Apart from that, his sound descriptions are spot-on, as far as I'm concerned. I very much agree with his assessment of the treble, mids and bass sections of both cans. In my book, this would result in a "sort of mediocre" grade for the Z1R due to all three ranges being solid, if not really exceptional, and a "downright bad" rating for the TH-900 with its outstanding subbass region, okayish, but lean midbass, basically nonexistent midrange and plain awful treble. I also think it's fair to measure the Z1R (as well as the other cans) against its MSRP, and agree that it's way overpriced, so in absolute terms, this would play in favor of the TH-900 (and the other contenders). Like the reviewer, I'd expect the Sony's clarity/transparency to be at a somewhat higher level, given what it retails for. This is an important trait for me, and I feel it's what separates truly high-end (or "summit-fi") headphones from the middle ground. Others may have different criteria. 

"Dead last" is not entirely true though. In the "Reviewer's Preference" section, which is the actual conclusion, the Z1R ranks 4th of seven, beating the TH-900, LCD-XC and Ether C Flow. Looking at the rankings in the sound department, you'll see that the Sony actually performs quite okay, it just gets massively weighed down by being $700 more than the second most expensive contender and twice as much as the more expensive of the ZMFs, the Eikon.

The only advantage to me of the Elear over the Z1R is comfort level - for some reason it feels a little bit lighter and less clamping force. The Z1R is very comfortable for sure but I give the Elear a slight edge. The Elear mid-range has more heft but bass is not as tight as on the Z1R. The Z1R is also better with detail retrieval.

But the Elear is priced reasonably. As much as I like the Z1R, it's arguably not worth $2,300.

That is definitely a reason (not a 'purist' headphone) as well as not doing as well on microdetails vs others (i.e. I did think that Ether Flow-C was a bit better on that regard but simply liked the Z1R more as a whole) why the Z1R is not universally loved. The tonality and frequency is basically geared towards people that like a "fun" sound which also brings up to what I think it is the MOST important reason and that is: PRICING.

I think this is why the headphone gets a lot of flak on other sites. At that kind of price, people, especially ones who have tried TOTL open-backs, expect a whole lot more regarding micro-detail, bass control, smoothness of treble, etc. Due to the Z1R having a "fun" signature, it actually places it almost "on par" to lower tiered headphones. I remember mentioning that diminishing returns is a REAL thing. We have up above someone who likens the Z1R to the Denon D7100/D600 line and that is NOT far off (I did have the D600 and liked it). I did the same mentioning the Ultrasone Signature DJ (which I still think is one of the most underrated closed backs). But really, take those two (D600/Sig DJ) and a host of similarly tuned headphones and for a fraction of the price you get something you could probably enjoy the same way. ZMF headphones seem to offer a similar approach at better/cheaper prices. So of course, the reaction is definitely expected.

I will definitely try ZMF's newest one of these days (did tried a couple of his older Fostex builds, just wasn't too much of a fan of the Fostex driver). But in the meantime, I'll keep enjoying the Z1Rs... :wink:

I'm also interested, but at the same time worried it will be bass lean as the Ether C Flow is reported to be by some. At least lean as compared with a bassy headphone.

Pretty sure it will be lean as well compared to any fun headphone including the Z1Rs... will definitely wait for impressions on this one from ppl I trust. Going blind buying the Ether Flow-Cs was a mistake (for my preferences). :p

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #9,024 of 11,341
# Filter: ON LS Fc 80 Hz Gain -1 dB
# Filter: ON PK Fc 100 Hz Gain 0 dB Q 10
Filter: ON HSC 20 dB Fc 100 Hz Gain -2 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 130 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 4
Filter: ON PK Fc 2700 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 3
Filter: ON PK Fc 3250 Hz Gain -8 dB Q 10
# Filter: ON PK Fc 3250 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 10
Filter: ON PK Fc 3400 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 20
Filter: ON PK Fc 4100 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 10
Filter: ON PK Fc 4900 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 5
Filter: ON PK Fc 5800 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 5
Filter: ON PK Fc 6600 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 10
Filter: ON PK Fc 9200 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 5
Filter: ON PK Fc 10000 Hz Gain -6 dB Q 15
Filter: ON PK Fc 15000 Hz Gain -6 dB Q 10
Filter: ON PK Fc 19000 Hz Gain -4 dB Q 10
Filter: ON HSC 20 dB Fc 11000 Hz Gain -2 dB

Add these parameters to Equalizer APO as a file and you will thank me in the end. MDR-Z1R becomes incredibly transparent.

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #9,026 of 11,341
  # Filter: ON LS Fc 80 Hz Gain -1 dB
# Filter: ON PK Fc 100 Hz Gain 0 dB Q 10
Filter: ON HSC 20 dB Fc 100 Hz Gain -2 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 130 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 4
Filter: ON PK Fc 2700 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 3
Filter: ON PK Fc 3250 Hz Gain -8 dB Q 10
# Filter: ON PK Fc 3250 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 10
Filter: ON PK Fc 3400 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 20
Filter: ON PK Fc 4100 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 10
Filter: ON PK Fc 4900 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 5
Filter: ON PK Fc 5800 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 5
Filter: ON PK Fc 6600 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 10
Filter: ON PK Fc 9200 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 5
Filter: ON PK Fc 10000 Hz Gain -6 dB Q 15
Filter: ON PK Fc 15000 Hz Gain -6 dB Q 10
Filter: ON PK Fc 19000 Hz Gain -4 dB Q 10
Filter: ON HSC 20 dB Fc 11000 Hz Gain -2 dB

Add these parameters to Equalizer APO as a file and you will thank me in the end. MDR-Z1R becomes incredibly transparent.

​That is quite a few filters. I would think it is a very personal thing at that level of adjustment. Still, might play around with it.

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #9,027 of 11,341
@gelocks In all fairness, very few people paid that full retail price. I would bet the average is below $2000 people paid, some got these for quite an amazing price. I would think that at around the $1700-1800 price point the value would be excellent considering the totality of the headphone.

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #9,028 of 11,341
I tried to neutralize it according to the frequency response.
You can try to make it more crispier if you play with the high shelf filter at 11 kHz, you can drive MDR-Z1R very loud with these eq parameters without any ear fatigue 

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #9,029 of 11,341
Originally Posted by onurco /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I tried to neutralize it according to the frequency response.
You can try to make it more crispier if you play with the high shelf filter at 11 kHz, you can drive MDR-Z1R very loud with these eq parameters without any ear fatigue

Yes I was looking at the filters and trying to see what you were doing. Worth trying. I use EasyQ within JRiver so I should be able to duplicate these settings.

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #9,030 of 11,341
I hope you will enjoy it. I was trying to find the most optimal settings for 2 weeks. This is what I came up with, I was reading all these comments and I thought that I should show what these headphones are capable with optimal equalizer settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back