The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #8,401 of 11,341
The TA amp complements the Z1R perfectly, go for it

Some here have commented that the pairing is too warm together.  I have not demoed so just repeating some other feedback which has been posted

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #8,402 of 11,341
The Z1R companion has just changed again... with a switch that will probably confuse some of you. It sure confused me...

So after two decades of CD3000 awesomeness, I tried to replace it with the 800S. Which of course, was a fail. Then the Z1R arrived, and that changed the game, but still, they're both awesome, leaving a problem.
The 800S didn't survive, but the Z1R did. And the CD3000 finally found someone who would give it some deserved respect, by replacing that filthy Sony PU Leather with proper leatherwork. So the CD3000 is gone from my inventory, but not gone from Head-Fi. I hope the new owner will show us a nicely modded classic soon.

For my stash, after getting rid of the 800S, I added the 800. Does it make sense? And sharing ear time with the Z1R? To my ears, yes. They're two awesome tools for different purposes.

That reminds me, it's been almost 6 months since I got the Z1R from the first batch in Europe (not as awesome as out fellow headfier with 0001 tho) and two days after I got them the review was 4/5, but shortly after that it hit 5/5 and that has remained solid until now. These are cans you can keep for decades, IMHO.

And that late night comfort, that's worth a lot too besides sound. I'm listening some Melissa Menago on Chesky again while typing this, with the HD800 that still have the pads in good shape, it's a really comfortable headphone, Senn comfort with the Japanese ancantara. Still, when I take them off and grab the Z1R for a bit of A/B, the sense of smoothness and extra comfort is just great. The Z1R pads are shaped quite well (to my ears/head) and the headband pressure and overall weight is just perfect. The Z1R remain the comfier hear-things I've used, even compared to some IEMs.

Slightly lost track of the main focus while ranting. I guess it is "Buy it while it's out there, especially if you get great pricing deals".

Mar 16, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #8,404 of 11,341
Some here have commented that the pairing is too warm together.  I have not demoed so just repeating some other feedback which has been posted

I would have to compare with other pairings to comment.
My experience was going from the 1A direct to using the TA and the improvement was notable, it's warm sounding but in a good way never veiled or thick just textured with great dynamics and timbre but very detailed and airy at the same time.
Direct from 1A loses in dynamics mostly and is a bit less open

Mar 16, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #8,406 of 11,341
I would have to compare with other pairings to comment.
My experience was going from the 1A direct to using the TA and the improvement was notable, it's warm sounding but in a good way never veiled or thick just textured with great dynamics and timbre but very detailed and airy at the same time.
Direct from 1A loses in dynamics mostly and is a bit less open

Based on my direct experience, I agree with your assessment completely.

For Z1R, I compared my Hugo 1 to the TA amp and to stock 1A and my preference is Hugo > TA > 1A. Hugo sounds livelier, more resolution, clarity and less warm sounding than the TA amp. This is also the same assessment as in Whathifi's review. Which is why they give TA 4 stars cause it lost that 1 star to the Hugo.

Z1R direct to 1A sounds flat, lack of dynamics and sounds less realistic in comparison. But if you don't compare the three together, it still sounds ok.

I have extensive listening test on balanced for TA and 1A.

Chord is single ended but still comes out on top.

I highly recommmend getting Hugo instead.

Also, I compared Hugo 1 vs Hugo 2 at canjam and it's even better! And I'm itching to upgrade.

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #8,407 of 11,341
Hi there. To be specific, I wasn't using 4.4 Sony KK, but the MUCB20BL1, the one with two 3.5 Jack. Source was ZX1 - > TA-ZH1ES. My experience was a short lived one since I found the upper mids to be little forward sounding for my taste. Now, I was told that new 4.4 Sony KimberKable could be a different story but I didn't go for it. I was offered to try Axios, and it sorted out the harshness.
The Z1R I was listening to had roughly about 10 hrs of usage so that could be one of the reason me not liking the way it was sounding then. Regardless, I brought home the Axios and been loving it since then.
I would say don't buy it blindly just because someone's saying good things about it. Demo it once and see for yourself if it fits your preferences.

Thanks for your feedback. Yeah I will give it a try before buying it. I just don't fancy the sales talk and pressure to buy after auditioning.

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #8,408 of 11,341
Thanks for your feedback. Yeah I will give it a try before buying it. I just don't fancy the sales talk and pressure to buy after auditioning.

Well, preparing yourself to say no thank you or ask to come back before making a buying decision is better than just buying something so expensive only to find out you don't like it. I agree, pushy sales closing te3chniques and pressure can be extremely unpleasant and any reputable business I'm sure would avoid alienating a potential customer in this manner, or so I would hope.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #8,409 of 11,341
It is recommended to shop for food well-fed, so you don't overdo it.
Telling someone at the start of an audio audition that you don't intend to buy today may reduce the push on their part. They must know you'll be back for more sooner or later if you eventually purchase one item. The art of purchasing power is an important thing to express when you buy something special. -Fair and square.

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #8,411 of 11,341

After reading countless posts here, I finally pulled the trigger and here it is
atsmile.gif

Thanks everyone for contributing their opinions in here!

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #8,413 of 11,341
The TA amp complements the Z1R perfectly, go for it

Yeah give me a few months to accumulate the funds first and re-organise my equipment collection and I'll get my grubby hands on them for sure.

Mar 17, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #8,415 of 11,341
Based on my direct experience, I agree with your assessment completely.

For Z1R, I compared my Hugo 1 to the TA amp and to stock 1A and my preference is Hugo > TA > 1A. Hugo sounds livelier, more resolution, clarity and less warm sounding than the TA amp. This is also the same assessment as in Whathifi's review. Which is why they give TA 4 stars cause it lost that 1 star to the Hugo.

Z1R direct to 1A sounds flat, lack of dynamics and sounds less realistic in comparison. But if you don't compare the three together, it still sounds ok.

I have extensive listening test on balanced for TA and 1A.

Chord is single ended but still comes out on top.

I highly recommmend getting Hugo instead.

Also, I compared Hugo 1 vs Hugo 2 at canjam and it's even better! And I'm itching to upgrade.

That's what I did. Got Hugo TT instead of TA. Don't know what I am missing, but I am very happy with the Hugo. It drives Utopia nicely as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back