The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #6,033 of 11,341
I had a chance to spend a couple days comparing the Z1R's to my Z7's. The comparison was done using a Sony NW-WM1A driving both phones balanced with the same cable. The first thing that I obviously noticed was just how similar these phones sound. Bass clarity and impact were similar on both. Too similar to differentiate. High frequencies were also too close for me to chose one over the other. The only difference that I am absolutely sure of is the midrange of the Z1R is smoother and better balanced, most noticeable with female vocals. The more I listened, the more obvious this became. Even though the midrange is obviously better with the Z1R, I don't feel that it is $1500 better. For that reason, I am returning them. I will keep my Z7's for fun listening and mixing. My HD800S's will continue to be my reference phones for mastering and relaxing "me" time.

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #6,034 of 11,341
Well, I don't have my Z7 any longer so I can't say with any certainty, but by memory the Z1R is the better of the two easily. That said, diminishing returns for sure with any pricey gear so it is always a judgement call.

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #6,035 of 11,341
Well, I don't have my Z7 any longer so I can't say with any certainty, but by memory the Z1R is the better of the two easily. That said, diminishing returns for sure with any pricey gear so it is always a judgement call.

Depends on the level of satisfactory from each person. I for once, when I heard an improvement, there is no going back :D. Wish I could just do away with some EarPods or beats by dre...lol

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #6,036 of 11,341

Yup, bass is generous on both but on the Z1R has more control.  Soundstage and imaging are considerably better as well.

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #6,038 of 11,341
Plugged a Norne Silvergarde cable into these babies, single ended into mojo. Sounded great, such depth and filfnessnof tone. Looking forward to trying them balanced into my Violectric V280 at the weekend!

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #6,039 of 11,341
I'm curious to hear your feedback vs your modded HD650.  You did the 3 mods ? 

I've done the coin hole mod, removed the rear spider and foam and added dampening. Lovely pair of headphones!

Should have some impressions this evening.

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #6,041 of 11,341
I am of this opinion too.  It's much better (stock...at least).

To me they are quite close in stock form. Again the Z1r makes me appreciate the Z7 even more.

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #6,042 of 11,341
I used to like my stock HD800 but after A/B with my Z1R it suddenly sounds like ****! Its really not its fault since it supposed to be a "reference" type of sounds but I can't deny I love the Z1R more and I know I'll hardly use it. Now I'm contemplating on what to replace it with...

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #6,043 of 11,341
One thing the Z1R does that many closed headphones don't do is make you reconsider the usefulness of an open back headphone. I am amazed sometimes at the airy and spacious sound they can produce.

Totally agree. I do not miss having an open phone with these cans. And you get the added isolation. FTW

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #6,044 of 11,341
  If it doesn't allow space for the Sony-Kimber cable, it's not that useful to me. (Great sounding cable IMHO.) Ha ha, guess I need a Samsonite or Tumi.

I like the cables quite a bit too. I'm not sure if it's just the ooh aah factor that makes me find them more pleasant than the stock cables or if there's any significant measure of difference and quality between the stock and the S/K cable, but I do enjoy it more. It got me looking into the Axios line. I honestly just bought the S/K cable because I thought it looked neat, I liked the branding from both companies, and it gave more length to the too-short-for-me balanced cable included with the Z1R.

That length would be great for the Walkman models, but not so great for a stationary listening setup, me thinks.  

I'm probably going to be sitting on two pairs of Z1Rs until the prices on Amazon UK stop fluctuating, haha. The very thing that helps also bites too!

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #6,045 of 11,341
  I used to like my stock HD800 but after A/B with my Z1R it suddenly sounds like ****! Its really not its fault since it supposed to be a "reference" type of sounds but I can't deny I love the Z1R more and I know I'll hardly use it. Now I'm contemplating on what to replace it with...

Have you ever tried Sonarworks with your 800?  Free 21 day trial...maybe you'll keep them after all.  

Bern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back