The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 8, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #481 of 11,341

Still, the Sony box looks like a major factor of the price increase.

Probably less so than you would think.

But I think some people here are kind of missing the whole point about creating a flagship product.

The whole point of making a flagship product is to not cut any corners (packaging included) and to just make the best possible product that the company is capable of making and then price them accordingly based on the R&D, BOM, labor, etc. that is required to make them a reality.

The proof is always in the listening, but if the Z1R is able to live up to the lofty standards of the past Sony flagship headphones, I would say that they are well worth the asking price.

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #482 of 11,341

Probably less so than you would think.

But I think some people here are kind of missing the whole point about creating a flagship product.

The whole point of making a flagship product is to not cut any corners (packaging included) and to just make the best possible product that the company is capable of making and then price them accordingly based on the R&D, BOM, labor, etc. that is required to make them a reality.

The proof is always in the listening, but if the Z1R is able to live up to the lofty standards of the past Sony flagship headphones, I would say that they are well worth the asking price.

We have to look at "flagships" as like limited runs, they are only going to sell a few so they have to price them to make the same money they would if they sold a boatload of $200 headphones. People don't listen to music on fancy hi-fi systems and headphone amps...only a few of us here. Most listen off their phone and are happy with a $50-$100 phone.

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #484 of 11,341

I agree. That should be true of all flagships but many companies still cut some corners like leaving out a balanced xlr cable. HD800S is one of few that includes it (and SE). With Mr. Speakers you have to choose one: SE or balanced. My T1.2 came with SE cable only.

Sony does at least provide both even if the balanced cable is again proprietary.

Now we can feel free to move on from the packaging and discuss the Z1R cables........

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #485 of 11,341
One second ago we were decrying the lack of technology behind the driver...now we're complaining about the box?
tongue.gif

Until they are released, what topics are acceptable to discuss about the Z1R?

Sep 8, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #487 of 11,341
Sony distribution here in Canada is lousy. Other than low end hp, poor online, retail, and in product offerings, what gives.

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #488 of 11,341
A brief trip back in time:

I've heard most of the world's best headphones, but somehow missed the Sony MDR-R10.
Only 2,000 were made. Production started in 1989, and at $2,500 a pair, it was the most expensive headphone in the world.

The MDR-R10's 50mm "Bio-Cellulose Dome Diaphragms" are credited with producing the [COLOR=B80000]headphones[/COLOR]' superclear treble and oh-so supple bass.  The headphone also sported real lambskin-covered ear pads, and the large sculpted ear cups are made from aged wood from [COLOR=B80000]Zelkova[/COLOR] trees.  Sony did make a few other headphones with Bio Cellulose drivers -- the MDR-CD3000, 1991, MDR-E888 in 1995, MDR-CD1700 in 1996, and the MDR-CD2000 in 2000 -- but those headphones never attained the stature of the MDR-R10. No, it's never just one thing that makes the great ones great, it's the whole design.

So the question is raised: If Sony was clever enough to design a world-class, uber-audiophile headphone back in the day, why can't they do it again?  Or make something almost as good and sell it for a lot less? I really don't have a clue, but the MDR-R10 may have really been the Holy Grail, at least as far as dynamic headphones go.

2016:

I want me some Bio-Cellulose Dome Diaphragms, please or will this new dome beat it?  

footnote: content taken from http://www.cnet.com/news/sony-mdr-r10-the-worlds-best-headphone/

final thoughts: 27 years later - these are 200.00 cheaper than the MDR-R10

The r10's had a street price of $2500 here and there but their retail price was $3600 or 360,000 yen to be more precise.

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #489 of 11,341
I think the issue is the wooden housing. Chopping down a 200 year old tree to make a perfect housing for a flagship headphones is no longer an option.

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #490 of 11,341
If we are allowed to discuss about cables :wink:.

For your info, just found out from Sony Japan website that the Kimber Kable (MUC-B20SB1) for the Z1R with balanced 4.4 mm costs 26,000 yen before tax (8% if i am not wrong).

Including tax and assuming a USD1 : YEN100 exchange rate, it roughly translates to USD281.

But since it is Sony, and they like to price their headphone cables ending with .USD ..9.99, I am guessing they will round up the MUC-B20SB1 price up to $299.99.

Cheers

Sep 9, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #491 of 11,341
Just a what if situation (as there's no way in hell I can afford Z1R in any near future), but I actually appreciate a nice box to keep the headphones in, especially to protect a $2000+ headphones in some occasions like being away from home for weeks.
I don't mind more time spent on opening the box and attaching the cables each time I want to use the headphone. It would all be worth it if when I open the box, I could see it safely and beautifully nestled inside.

That's why I always wonder why a summit-fi headphones rarely include a nice box to keep them, it's not like for someone that can and are willing to pay for $1500+ mind the few extra cost for shipping is it?

Sep 9, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #492 of 11,341
This thread might best be left to those actually interested in the new Sony headphones, and not those critical of everything Sony didn't anticipate by offering a flagship in the top-tier segment of can technology.
Bust some balls at Lexus for not providing a silver plated cigarette lighter in their flagship hot-rod and get back to us about how that went. Or better yet, harangue Louis Vuitton about their limited color selection and pricing "scheme".
I don't see any serious complainer interested in buying the new Sony headphones. Why on earth are you even pestered about this thread?
Check out the Bentley discussion threads and bash some heads there about the lack of a dedicated ginger ale tap in the left passenger seat.
This is getting old. -and why do you people expect to get answers from people on this thread anyway? Call Sony directly if you care so much. Brush up on your Japanese expletives.

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #494 of 11,341
Lol, I thought I heard it all when you mentioned Imelda but go on..
This thread might best be left to those actually interested in the new Sony headphones, and not those critical of everything Sony didn't anticipate by offering a flagship in the top-tier segment of can technology.
Bust some balls at Lexus for not providing a silver plated cigarette lighter in their flagship hot-rod and get back to us about how that went. Or better yet, harangue Louis Vuitton about their limited color selection and pricing "scheme".
I don't see any serious complainer interested in buying the new Sony headphones. Why on earth are you even pestered about this thread?
Check out the Bentley discussion threads and bash some heads there about the lack of a dedicated ginger ale tap in the left passenger seat.
This is getting old. -and why do you people expect to get answers from people on this thread anyway? Call Sony directly if you care so much. Brush up on your Japanese expletives.

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #495 of 11,341
Please do compare with Ether C and Ether C Flow, I am getting a closed can, and Ether is pretty much my choice
before I see this new headphone.
The Z1R looks gorgeous, I hope it kicks some TOTL headphones out there.
I'll save-up for it, if it is good for the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back