The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 8, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #467 of 11,341
I wonder if they can compete with Ether C Flow head to head.
Planar magnetic driver being much faster then dynamic ones.

Jep, this is the only question that counts for me. They are in the same price range and both closed cans. So very soon we will see who the winner is I guess. And the winner will get my money ... If I could bet (have not heard both of them) I would say that the Ether C Flow will win, but who knows?

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #469 of 11,341
If I could bet (have not heard both of them) I would say that the Ether C Flow will win, but who knows?

Unless it's in the "Best looking case" award...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #470 of 11,341
Jep, this is the only question that counts for me. They are in the same price range and both closed cans. So very soon we will see who the winner is I guess. And the winner will get my money ... If I could bet (have not heard both of them) I would say that the Ether C Flow will win, but who knows?

I have not had a try with the ether c flow. But if it was up to me, I'd take thr z1r over the ether c (edit). I think that in terms of coherence the z1r does have the upper hand.

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #471 of 11,341
Unless it's in the "Best looking case" award... :D :D :D

I don't remember ever putting a case on my head to listen to music...cardbord boxes are just fine with me.

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #472 of 11,341
I don't remember ever putting a case on my head to listen to music...cardbord boxes are just fine with me.

All I think beowulf is saying is that for $1800, you would expect a liiiittle bit better packaging than what MrSpeakers currently offers.
redface.gif

To each there own, of course.

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #474 of 11,341
If based on case alone, I'd take the Sony. It's roomier. Important for when I end up homeless after spending everything I have on headphones.

Same here!
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #476 of 11,341

Mr. Speakers case designed for actual transport. Z1R case is just for it's grand opening (unboxing).

Maybe.  But you can get a much better looking travel case for your headphone on Amazon for around $20 bucks.

Just sayin'
cool.gif

Sep 8, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #478 of 11,341
You are right, but my son is practising Kendo and Judo to take over, once he got his light sword...

It must be tempered in the pure spring water of Fiji, from a young age, though multi tourist visa's can be arranged, for the tempering must be over several seasons. And he must camp at 4000m, to taste the blade in the first tributary gurgling's. Or use a lithium battery within.

Sep 8, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #479 of 11,341
No one seems to be mentioning that Sony might be tuning these to go hand in hand with the Gold Walkman. Sony has been known to match their products to their DAP on numerous occasions. Not to say the Z1R won't sound good with other systems but tuning is usually done in unison with their other items for their perfect presentation of sound. Which is any representation of Sony, a deep clear bass with good impact (being reference, no mid bass boost here), sweet and clean mids with excellent detail retrieval. Airy highs but no sibilant peaks, and expansive soundstage. Speed might not be planar magnetic speed but quick enough to be able to retrieve all details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back