The Official Massdrop/Fostex TH-X00 Owners' Impressions and Discussions Thread
Dec 17, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #31 of 419
if you've ever wanted to read 6,800 words about this pair of headphones: http://www.head-fi.org/products/fostex-th-x00-massdrop-exclusive/reviews/14803

Dec 17, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #32 of 419
  if you've ever wanted to read 6,800 words about this pair of headphones: http://www.head-fi.org/products/fostex-th-x00-massdrop-exclusive/reviews/14803

Nice!

Edit: Got confused over what thread I posted in

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #33 of 419

Thanks good read on your experience. At first I thought you were linking back to the review thread where everyone were posting about every step of their package tracking lol 

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #34 of 419

Nice write-up. I generally agree.

The bass is incredible, fun, controlled and engaging. The mids leave you wanting a bit more...perhaps not in quantity, but in quality. As you said, they're a bit distant in certain situations. I feel the highs can at times get close to sibilant, but when you think it'll clip, it behaves.

Overall, I actually feel these are pretty balanced and can play nicely with my AKG K702-65 and Audio-Technica MSR7.

My main gripe is with the cable. I actually don't mind they're non-detachable, but the length and braiding don't work for me. When it rubs up against your collar or shoulder, you hear it. It's not intolerable, but feel this aspect could have been better.

Besides that, construction and aesthetics get a 9/10 for me. Very happy with my purchase and will keep these forever and ever and ever and ever.

Dec 18, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #35 of 419
Very happy with my purchase and will keep these forever and ever and ever and ever.

These may be the first thing I have ever purchased that I intend to never throw away or sell. I may even get rid of my Q701's eventually, when I get a better pair of monitors, but these are an indefinite keeper.

Dec 18, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #36 of 419
I will be doing a full comparison between stock pads and alpha pads when they arrive. I'm in the market for some Shure 1540 alcantara pads, as well.

I am waiting on my alpha pads. In the meantime I did try some alcantara pads I had around. They fit great, they are super comfortable, but they really do lose a lot of the fun and impact of the bass these headphones have. I switched back to my stock pads fairly quickly.

Dec 18, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #37 of 419
I've been listening to a lot of Santana with these headphones. Highly recommend. It's like you're sitting in the front row of a small lounge. Very engaging and intimate yet not confined.

Dec 18, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #38 of 419
  I've been listening to a lot of Santana with these headphones. Highly recommend. It's like you're sitting in the front row of a small lounge. Very engaging and intimate yet not confined.

ooh I like Santana 

honestly though some of you were curious about the TH X00 with the Vali 2, imo it's a touch... slow an a little too bloated for my tastes. I like the speed an tautness of my TH X00 out of my iBasso Pb2, going with the Vali I loose a little bit of that tautness 

Dec 18, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #39 of 419
  ooh I like Santana 

honestly though some of you were curious about the TH X00 with the Vali 2, imo it's a touch... slow an a little too bloated for my tastes. I like the speed an tautness of my TH X00 out of my iBasso Pb2, going with the Vali I loose a little bit of that tautness 

I agree.
I like what the TH-X00 does on its on, straight from a solid-state source. It needs no additional buttering up to sound its best.

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #40 of 419
  I agree.
I like what the TH-X00 does on its on, straight from a solid-state source. It needs no additional buttering up to sound its best.

Yeap, an to my ears both the Vali 2 an Starlight hybrid tube amps do the TH x00 no favors 

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #41 of 419
Okay now, these are only early impressions, but I think I'm digging the stock pads more than the alphas. Yes, the bass tightens up and is sonically improved with the alphas, but I seem to prefer the slower decay and thump of the the stock pads.

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #42 of 419
Okay now, these are only early impressions, but I think I'm digging the stock pads more than the alphas. Yes, the bass tightens up and is sonically improved with the alphas, but I seem to prefer the slower decay and thump of the the stock pads.

I appreciate all the impressions and thoughts on pad swapping with the X00's. I'm likely to give the Alpha's a try when they're back in stock. I experienced the alcantara pads when I owned the Shure 1540. While they're comfortable, I didn't dig the textural feeling. To each their own...

I do find the stock pads on the X00 to be of decent quality and comfort. A little warm, but nothing that's bothersome to me. 

On a completely different topic, The Killers Hot Fuss album sounds great through the X00.

dt880smile.png

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #43 of 419
I appreciate all the impressions and thoughts on pad swapping with the X00's. I'm likely to give the Alpha's a try when they're back in stock. I experienced the alcantara pads when I owned the Shure 1540. While they're comfortable, I didn't dig the textural feeling. To each their own...

I do find the stock pads on the X00 to be of decent quality and comfort. A little warm, but nothing that's bothersome to me. 

On a completely different topic, The Killers Hot Fuss album sounds great through the X00.

:dt880smile:

I may sell my alpha pads, if you're interested. Just pm me.

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #44 of 419

:dt880smile:

Thanks for the info on the pad swap. I have to wait till Christmas for my girl to give me my Lawton pads and then I'll post some impressions. Does anyone have impressions with the th900/600 pads?

Dec 18, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #45 of 419
Thanks for the info on the pad swap. I have to wait till Christmas for my girl to give me my Lawton pads and then I'll post some impressions. Does anyone have impressions with the th900/600 pads?

Please report back when you do get them. I'm really liking the sound from stock, but I have big ears :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back