The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games)
Apr 19, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #1,036 of 1,043
Granblue Fantasy Relink is absolutely amazing! Go get it!!
As a former player of web-based GBF, seeing characters with detailed 3D modeling satisfies me already. However, even if you're not a fan, I think you can still appreciate it, the plot has terminology explanations, and you can also understand the game background through character plots and main storyline recaps.
As an arpg, the feeling-of-hit in combat is also very good imo(except for the overwhelming amount of materials to grind in the later stages).
If you're interested, be sure to give it a try guys!

May 2, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #1,039 of 1,043
I really enjoyed secret of mana on SNES and the remastered

May 3, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #1,040 of 1,043
Granblue Fantasy Relink is absolutely amazing! Go get it!!
As a former player of web-based GBF, seeing characters with detailed 3D modeling satisfies me already. However, even if you're not a fan, I think you can still appreciate it, the plot has terminology explanations, and you can also understand the game background through character plots and main storyline recaps.
As an arpg, the feeling-of-hit in combat is also very good imo(except for the overwhelming amount of materials to grind in the later stages).
If you're interested, be sure to give it a try guys!

Relink is great! Got plenty of hours out of the game myself.

I did find the endgame grind for sigils to get a bit tiring though. I feel like more boss variety would’ve helped a lot too.

May 4, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #1,041 of 1,043
Guyz, I'm playing StarOcean: 2nd Story R. It's refreshing to play a jrpg with dialog that are to the point without much nonsense. Story is quite interesting starting out since it's sequenced well I believe. Although, the cliche meteor crash landing and making everything evil plotline.

I like the Rena character, she seems to be developing well so far. Ambiance music is very fitting for the scenes as well.

The graphic revision feels that they put care into the remaster. 3D modeling is a good touch. Japanese voice acting seems like they put a lot of care into the dialog. I believe what makes this game distinguishing is the way tells the story. There a bit of deliberate-ness to expressing the story in this game. I highly recommend playing with Japanese voice dialog. The emotions are in the Japanese dialog.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 3:20 AM Post #1,042 of 1,043
Star Ocean: The Devine Force

Another tropie JRPG. You get a XXL wide open space world with hardly anything occupying it like Xenoblade Chronicles style, and you go from town to town. You buy items in towns. Do this over and over again (make the town look different, but have the same thing. An Inn, and an item shop. lol), and you have a JRPG formula! Oh the dialog has to be really cheezy as well. Characters has to blurt out stuff that's has no relavence whatsoever. The story is typical JRPG trope. When I got to one town that had a port, and there was an issue of not being able to get on the boat, I was thinking, this happens in every JRPG game! lol And the girls faces has to look really cute and have big boobs to add character. Nice.

Boobs
FZ5A4bWUcAQei4O.jpg

This is basically like Tales of Arise. Looking back, Tales of Arise was a very avg game with JRPG tropes. And the dialog. So much dialog that has absolutely nothing in it.

Seriously, they need to come up with something different. It gets old. It was ok in the SNES/PS1 golden age era, but the formula gets old after awhile. You can't keep doing the same formula for 40 years. Things has to evolve for the better. And it has evolved to Soulsborne/Nioh games (which by the way are JRPGs (Japanese role playing games since they are from Japan and are role playing games)).
Tales of Arise was a lot of fun, but the second half of the game had mediocre writing. It was fun, though, having the MC and FMC both be adults rather than 14/15-year-olds to save the world.

Star Ocean was interesting, but I found it boring, and the faces were odd—very baby-faced. I preferred the graphics and overall gameplay of Tales of Arise over it.

May 5, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #1,043 of 1,043
Tales of Arise was a lot of fun, but the second half of the game had mediocre writing. It was fun, though, having the MC and FMC both be adults rather than 14/15-year-olds to save the world.

Star Ocean was interesting, but I found it boring, and the faces were odd—very baby-faced. I preferred the graphics and overall gameplay of Tales of Arise over it.
Yes, Tales of Arise just doesn't sustain interests very long after the early impressions of the presentation/graphics, etc.. This is why the marketingd was probably so effective with the trailers, which mainly shows off the presentation. It's a bit of a departure from the other Tales games with significant graphics improvements. The dialog got really annoying and too drawn out that I couldn't stand it anymore. Got repitative.

Well, Star Ocean: the second story R (SOSSR) was originally from the PS1 era when jrpgs were in the verge of getting into to 3D graphics, and most of the jrpgs on the platform was sprites based. It's like the SNES Square jrps with deformed figures that's more of an abstract representation of the the actual characters, which has it charms (leaving more for the imagination), probably mainly for those from the era when jrpg figurines were deformed and abstract.

I find that the story is more interesting than the typical bland jrpgs, however, the gameplay is not great given modern standards. It is still a old school game with old school battle mechanics, in which got me bored real fast. Not enough variations for me, gets repetitive. This is an old school jrpg from an era of different standards, probably doesn't measure so well today unless looking under nostalgia glasses.

Edit: I just saw that you are referring to Devine Force. Yes, Start Ocean: The Devine Force graphics is pretty mediocre given today's standards. Gameplay is bland IMO. The anime graphics doesn't work so well in 3D style, but better off in anime style. It's just bad styling decision they made, and ended up looking lifeless.

Even with the new FF 7 rebirth game, I'm not too eager. It doesn't do anything new that I haven't seen. I personally think the new FF 7 game scores are positively biased due to reviewers that played the original.

Same for FF 16. Don't care for the game. I don't think I've cared for FF much since 7, and when looking back at 10, it looks corny as hell looking at it from today's perspective. 10 looked technically impressive for it's time.

Today, I think 'shin megami tensei' or 'Persona' games are more modernized for today's audiences. Although I don't care for the series.

I think games like this is more of the modern styling of jrpgs. This is the anime style that the Star Ocean game could have gone with.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back