The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games)
Nov 11, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #1,021 of 1,043
Beat SO2R. Loved it as much as I remember loving it. I totally misremembered a lot of the game, though. For whatever reason I was thinking there was a third act after defeating the wise men where Energy Nede combined with Expel or something. And now I'm kinda tripped up because there's 2 continents on Expel that you don't explore, at least on the first playthrough? Probably going to give the game another playthrough to see what I missed.

It's funny to me how much easier the game is to cheese than the original game. I think in the original game you're limited to which skills are available from the start? And you had to buy packs of skills in order to start leveling them. Right from the get-go you can totally take advantage of training and really skyrocket your XP gain. Then I was using replication to make tons of money.

By the end of the game, through a combination of training, scouting, and XP cards I was able to hit level 255 with about 33 hours of total gameplay. The last 100 levels took maybe 4 hours of leveling?

At any rate, I'm super happy with the game, and it's making me want to play SO3 again. That one was maybe my favorite, and I'd kill for a remaster. Even modest remastering ambitions on par with FFXII's would do wonders for that game.

Nov 11, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #1,022 of 1,043
Beat SO2R. Loved it as much as I remember loving it. I totally misremembered a lot of the game, though. For whatever reason I was thinking there was a third act after defeating the wise men where Energy Nede combined with Expel or something. And now I'm kinda tripped up because there's 2 continents on Expel that you don't explore, at least on the first playthrough? Probably going to give the game another playthrough to see what I missed.

It's funny to me how much easier the game is to cheese than the original game. I think in the original game you're limited to which skills are available from the start? And you had to buy packs of skills in order to start leveling them. Right from the get-go you can totally take advantage of training and really skyrocket your XP gain. Then I was using replication to make tons of money.

By the end of the game, through a combination of training, scouting, and XP cards I was able to hit level 255 with about 33 hours of total gameplay. The last 100 levels took maybe 4 hours of leveling?

At any rate, I'm super happy with the game, and it's making me want to play SO3 again. That one was maybe my favorite, and I'd kill for a remaster. Even modest remastering ambitions on par with FFXII's would do wonders for that game.
I never had the chance to play Star Ocean 3, but you’re not the first person I’ve heard mention it’s probably their favorite. I’ve only played 1, 2, and 6. I’m curious if I will misremember the game myself, sadly I wasn’t able to complete SO2 due to my PSP dying on me, but was able to play a good amount I think. Which does add to the desire to play this remaster. I know for a fact I completed SO1.

Speaking of FFXII The Zodiac Age, I have it on Steam, need to get to playing it sometime. I have such a big backlog of games to play. Been spending a bit too much time on FFXIV lately.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #1,023 of 1,043

Oh another man if culture, SO3 is also my favourite. Played it countless times.

SO2R is easy with all the tweaks, not sure if the original was as easy. (Been decades since I played that)
Since it's release I finished SO2R twice, one "new game+" run, since I missed the Philia PA on the first run, and therefore couldn't unlock the final Boss.
First run including Maze of Tribulations and Ethereal queen took me 33h.
Second run to beat Gabriel limiter off took 6h.

I really wish they'd Remake SO3. The QoL options like fast travel, Signs on where Events and time limited PAs are occuring etc would do wonders.

Nov 12, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #1,025 of 1,043
I'm deep into Octopath 2, and this sound track is so good.

I really do like Octopath's battle system, it's quite fun. I made the right decision in picking Ochette. She has so many varieties of attacks

I looked up Star Ocean 3, and it aged badly. crappy polygons

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #1,026 of 1,043
While OG Star Ocean 2 is my favorite, I have a really strong love for The Last Hope. I think it's the best game in terms of battle system, and I enjoyed it feeling like a fun romp through various worlds. Of course the grim part during the middle was quite a jarring transition, but it didn't detract anything for me.

That game got a lot of bandwagon-hopping hatred. Typical hive mind nonsense. It becomes popular to hate on something, to the point any positives are drowned out.

It's the game I've played most next to SO2.

Now you know what SO DOES deserve a lot of negative responses? SO5. We don't talk about SO5... that was a beta release if I've ever seen one. I won't even blame the devs. I blame SE for pushing it out in that state.

Also, I... can't get into SO6. Something about the DUMA mechanics that just irritate me and the vast emptiness of most of the maps, that don't sit well with me. I'll be real in saying I didn't get too far. I was severely put off by the jetpack stuff. Maybe one day I'll give it a better try, but I'm not... excited to rety by any means. Much better games to play.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #1,027 of 1,043
While OG Star Ocean 2 is my favorite, I have a really strong love for The Last Hope. I think it's the best game in terms of battle system, and I enjoyed it feeling like a fun romp through various worlds. Of course the grim part during the middle was quite a jarring transition, but it didn't detract anything for me.

That game got a lot of bandwagon-hopping hatred. Typical hive mind nonsense. It becomes popular to hate on something, to the point any positives are drowned out.

It's the game I've played most next to SO2.

Now you know what SO DOES deserve a lot of negative responses? SO5. We don't talk about SO5... that was a beta release if I've ever seen one. I won't even blame the devs. I blame SE for pushing it out in that state.

Also, I... can't get into SO6. Something about the DUMA mechanics that just irritate me and the vast emptiness of most of the maps, that don't sit well with me. I'll be real in saying I didn't get too far. I was severely put off by the jetpack stuff. Maybe one day I'll give it a better try, but I'm not... excited to rety by any means. Much better games to play.
Yeah SO5 just ended when all others started their 2nd half of the Story.
It was really unfinished (gameplay itself was fine tho)

I really did like 6 tho. I mean I like all SO titles but 6 was better than 4 and 5 imo.

I'd rank them from best to worst
SO3 > SO2 > SO1 > SO6 > SO4 > SO5

Nov 15, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #1,028 of 1,043
Yeah SO5 just ended when all others started their 2nd half of the Story.
It was really unfinished (gameplay itself was fine tho)

I really did like 6 tho. I mean I like all SO titles but 6 was better than 4 and 5 imo.

I'd rank them from best to worst
SO3 > SO2 > SO1 > SO6 > SO4 > SO5
I liked 6 as well, had its flaws but found it had charm and I had fun with the game, gave me hope for the future of the game series. Hopefully with what seems to be success with SO2R, the series will get more funding in the future.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #1,029 of 1,043
Just make it more traditional. Not everything has to be open world/zone nonsense. I'm tired of this.

Somehow developers everywhere thought everything needed to be Horizon Zero Dawn, and now everything is the same.

Just give me a good traditional jrpg with plenty of story. Not just open barren wastelands with points of interests.

Nov 15, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #1,030 of 1,043
Just make it more traditional. Not everything has to be open world/zone nonsense. I'm tired of this.

Somehow developers everywhere thought everything needed to be Horizon Zero Dawn, and now everything is the same.

Just give me a good traditional jrpg with plenty of story. Not just open barren wastelands with points of interests.
So much this

Nov 18, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #1,031 of 1,043
I'm deep into Octopath 2, and this sound track is so good.

I really do like Octopath's battle system, it's quite fun. I made the right decision in picking Ochette. She has so many varieties of attacks

I looked up Star Ocean 3, and it aged badly. crappy polygons

I stopped playing guys. Great soundtrack, and luv the way the graphics look, giving the 16bit era sprite graphics vibes, but that wasn't enough to keep me interested. I needed more variety in the gameplay. The turned based combat gets repetitive. The breaking system is innovative, but I feel like I'm doing mostly the same, and upgrading something that is same. After awhile you see that the 8 character journeys are all done in very similar ways that it can seem repetitive tasks. I need more variety in a game. I think I'm done with turn-based. It can't keep me interested anymore. I guess I'm more of an action RPG guy. I got into Souls games, and now I got deep into Wild Hearts, which is Monster Hunter like game (which is like souls in the fact that it's action focused), but I like it so much better! It's really fun, especially playing in groups to take down monsters! It's very satisfying in a non-souls-ey punishing way. I highly recommend, it's a great game design IMO. Reason why it's getting review bombed is due to bad performance optimization, but people say the gameplay is solid. Performance isn't terrible on PC at this point, and I like it enough to put up with some frame pacing issues.

When I fight Monsters in Wild Hearts, it feel much closer to fighting Bloodborne monsters than Monster Hunter. I would be so into a Monster Hunter game in style of Bloodborne.

If trying out Octopath 2, I highly recommend Ochette, she really a fun character. I will also say that, story in the game isn't anything novel, or all that unique, but not spammy dialogs with some anime style JRPGs like Tales series. I like it when they keep the story to the point, and not draw out the dialogs. I don't need such long expressions, I want to play the damn game!

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 3:38 AM Post #1,034 of 1,043
FF7 rebirth demo is out, and was pretty fun. Hopefully, it's open world. I generally like the FF7 lore and characters.
20 days to go

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:55 AM Post #1,035 of 1,043
I stopped playing guys. Great soundtrack, and luv the way the graphics look, giving the 16bit era sprite graphics vibes, but that wasn't enough to keep me interested. I needed more variety in the gameplay. The turned based combat gets repetitive. The breaking system is innovative, but I feel like I'm doing mostly the same, and upgrading something that is same. After awhile you see that the 8 character journeys are all done in very similar ways that it can seem repetitive tasks. I need more variety in a game. I think I'm done with turn-based. It can't keep me interested anymore. I guess I'm more of an action RPG guy. I got into Souls games, and now I got deep into Wild Hearts, which is Monster Hunter like game (which is like souls in the fact that it's action focused), but I like it so much better! It's really fun, especially playing in groups to take down monsters! It's very satisfying in a non-souls-ey punishing way. I highly recommend, it's a great game design IMO. Reason why it's getting review bombed is due to bad performance optimization, but people say the gameplay is solid. Performance isn't terrible on PC at this point, and I like it enough to put up with some frame pacing issues.

When I fight Monsters in Wild Hearts, it feel much closer to fighting Bloodborne monsters than Monster Hunter. I would be so into a Monster Hunter game in style of Bloodborne.

If trying out Octopath 2, I highly recommend Ochette, she really a fun character. I will also say that, story in the game isn't anything novel, or all that unique, but not spammy dialogs with some anime style JRPGs like Tales series. I like it when they keep the story to the point, and not draw out the dialogs. I don't need such long expressions, I want to play the damn game!
I’ve had the same issue with these types of games, but the truth is that video games are all repetitive. It’s just that graphics and gameplays that have more depth and fidelity can fool you into thinking that there is more to it.

I’d say that it’s good to focus on very few games because even if you’re retired, you’d just get sick of it. And unlike movies, a game is not something you can deal with in a day or a week (if it’s a book). It can take 20-150 hours to finish a game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back