The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 26, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #10,382 of 10,994
The pads should be extremely comfy but the sound should be terrible

The HD 598 pads blow the T1 pads out of the water. The T1 pads are stiff and not rounded at all. It feels like they took a long rectangle of cheap packing foam, bent it into a circle, and wrapped it with felt. 

You are transitioning from some of the warmest headphones to some of the brightest. Hopefully you know that before you purchased. You might be better served with HD 600 or HD 650. Note, they both have quite a bit of clamp.

As for the pads, they should feel like pillows. If not, you have defective pads. While the sounds dig of beyerdynamic headphones is controversial, it pretty well accepted that are extremely comfortable.

Bottom line, should like you need to return your and get sennheisers -- if you like their sound.

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #10,383 of 10,994
You are transitioning from some of the warmest headphones to some of the brightest. Hopefully you know that before you purchased. You might be better served with HD 600 or HD 650. Note, they both have quite a bit of clamp.

As for the pads, they should feel like pillows. If not, you have defective pads. While the sounds dig of beyerdynamic headphones is controversial, it pretty well accepted that are extremely comfortable.

Bottom line, should like you need to return your and get sennheisers -- if you like their sound.

I don't know how pads can be defective. If I put my fingers on both the HD 598 and T1 pads, I can definitely feel the firm edge of the foam, while the 598 pads are very soft with no distinct edges. 

I knew they were brighter going in, but didn't think it would actually be very fatiguing. I'm going to use them for a few more days to see if I want to keep them.

And that's a shame that the HD 600 have a clamp, as those are the ones I would get if I didn't keep the T1. My head is very sensitive to pressure. That's probably why it hurts so bad after wearing the T1 for a while. My temples are killing me from the stiff pads.

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #10,384 of 10,994
There has to be faulty pads as you sh
I don't know how pads can be defective. If I put my fingers on both the HD 598 and T1 pads, I can definitely feel the firm edge of the foam, while the 598 pads are very soft with no distinct edges. 

I knew they were brighter going in, but didn't think it would actually be very fatiguing. I'm going to use them for a few more days to see if I want to keep them.

And that's a shame that the HD 600 have a clamp, as those are the ones I would get if I didn't keep the T1. My head is very sensitive to pressure. That's probably why it hurts so bad after wearing the T1 for a while. My temples are killing me from the stiff pads.
try sonarworks. T1s sound a lot better with it

Aug 27, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #10,385 of 10,994
There has to be faulty pads as you sh

try sonarworks. T1s sound a lot better with it

I also find using the DT770 pads rather then the stock DT990 pads help tame the treble a little.

That said, the T1 Gen 2 may be better for @hutt132 or a 600/650. The T1 gen 1 is really for treble heads. 

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #10,386 of 10,994
The HD 598 pads blow the T1 pads out of the water. The T1 pads are stiff and not rounded at all. It feels like they took a long rectangle of cheap packing foam, bent it into a circle, and wrapped it with felt. 
For me HD598 pads was the worst from all headphones i tried, lack of airy feel and very cheap feeling was 2 things that come to my mind. For me HD650 earpads, T1 earpads and especially DT990 was clearly superior. I really cant believe you said that HD598 earpads are better than T1 :D...

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #10,387 of 10,994
For me HD598 pads was the worst from all headphones i tried, lack of airy feel and very cheap feeling was 2 things that come to my mind. For me HD650 earpads, T1 earpads and especially DT990 was clearly superior. I really cant believe you said that HD598 earpads are better than T1 :D...
I know doesn't make sense. They are either fake or faulty. T1 pads are the extremely comfy pads. Probably the best I've experienced

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #10,388 of 10,994
Well its not a
They were purchased brand new from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-T1-Audiophile-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B0031RD3YY

The STX does have a headphone amp, and it drives these headphones well. I'm not playing them very loud, as the treble hurts too much, but they can get LOUD with the STX. I've read up a bunch and people use the T1's with the STX and they are driven fine.

Anyone know any actually good and squishy pads for the T1's that don't change the sound signature too much?

Well it's not about how loud itncan go with T1 but ability,potential to get out if T1 the most.

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #10,389 of 10,994

That said, the T1 Gen 2 may be better for @hutt132 or a 600/650. The T1 gen 1 is really for treble heads. 

I am surprised how often the T1 is though of as being a "treble head" HP.  

I find my T1's to be one of the most pleasant, listenable, flat response, detailed HPs I have; also extremely comfortable for long periods.

Now the Grado's are the one's that have some treble excitement, and I mean that in a good way.

I suspect as I always have, that each person has quite a different ear sensitivity curve, that of course changes as we age, which accounts for the wide difference in opinion.

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #10,390 of 10,994
That said, the T1 Gen 2 may be better for @hutt132
 or a 600/650. The T1 gen 1 is really for treble heads. 

I am surprised how often the T1 is though of as being a "treble head" HP.  

I find my T1's to be one of the most pleasant, listenable, flat response, detailed HPs I have; also extremely comfortable for long periods.

Now the Grado's are the one's that have some treble excitement, and I mean that in a good way.

I suspect as I always have, that each person has quite a different ear sensitivity curve, that of course changes as we age, which accounts for the wide difference in opinion.

Hate to break it to you @eeagle, but you might be a treble head :)

Nothing wrong with that. I love my T1 gen too. I thinking gen 2 sounds too,warn and lacks sparkle.

Aug 27, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #10,391 of 10,994
Hate to break it to you @eeagle, but you might be a treble head :)

Nothing wrong with that. I love my T1 gen too. I thinking gen 2 sounds too,warn and lacks sparkle.

Yeah I just may be.  As mentioned I do enjoy the Grado sound as well.  I do like vocals and flutes a lot, but definitely want the full spectrum on the low end to chime in when needed

After much procrastination in this hobby I recently picked up a set of HD800 HPs (focus had a great sale last week) and I must say they seem even a bit brighter than my T1's, I just may have to SuperDupont them.  Still switching back and forth between the two, both very detailed.

Loved NM by the way...spent several years in Alamogordo.

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #10,394 of 10,994
  Returning them tomorrow. Hopefully the HD650 will be a nice upgrade to my HD598.

If you had an issue with the clamping force of the HD-600 the HD-650 will be about the same.  I used to get a headache with both, had to bend the metal sliders on both to ease the clamping force so that I could use them for more than a few minutes at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back