The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 8, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #9,856 of 10,994
New owner here.  Picked up a used pair recently and have logged about 15 hours so far.

This is my first "Flagship" headphone I've owned but I've had several other highly regarded phones over the years.  (Currently Fostex TH600 and Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs)  I thought from this point forward, any improvements would be subtle and marginal.  After listening to the T1's for a week or two, I've decided there was more room for improvement than I thought.

The detail on the T1's is the best I've heard, hands down.  Imaging is stellar.  The sound stage is another element that really stands out.  It's the the widest and most natural I've heard.

The T1 is an excellent "all-rounder" for the many types of rock music I listen too.  It comes off fairly balanced on my set up.  

I can see how some people may think the treble is too hot.  I have a DAC/Amp combo on the warm side (Yulong A18/D18) so no problems for me there.  Also, my ears are not particularly treble sensitive and I typically like some sizzle versus a rolled off treble.  For instance, I found the Senn HD600's somewhat dull, but loved the HiFiMan HE-400 treble.

The bass has been interesting to listen to.  It seems to be very recording specific.  The bass can be monstrous at times but other times, it can take a back seat to the mids.  No matter the quantity of the bass, the quality is always there.  There's never a danger of bloated bass drowning out detail in other frequencies.  

Overall, I'm extremely happy with T1's.  For all the detail and clarity, the T1's are still very musical.  I consider myself much more a music fan than an audiophile.  The T1's make music more enjoyable, which is objective #1 for me.  At some point FAR down the road, I hope to try the 2nd gen version.  In the meantime, I will enjoy these very much.

Nov 8, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #9,857 of 10,994
  New owner here.  Picked up a used pair recently and have logged about 15 hours so far.

This is my first "Flagship" headphone I've owned but I've had several other highly regarded phones over the years.  (Currently Fostex TH600 and Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs)  I thought from this point forward, any improvements would be subtle and marginal.  After listening to the T1's for a week or two, I've decided there was more room for improvement than I thought.

The detail on the T1's is the best I've heard, hands down.  Imaging is stellar.  The sound stage is another element that really stands out.  It's the the widest and most natural I've heard.

The T1 is an excellent "all-rounder" for the many types of rock music I listen too.  It comes off fairly balanced on my set up.  

I can see how some people may think the treble is too hot.  I have a DAC/Amp combo on the warm side (Yulong A18/D18) so no problems for me there.  Also, my ears are not particularly treble sensitive and I typically like some sizzle versus a rolled off treble.  For instance, I found the Senn HD600's somewhat dull, but loved the HiFiMan HE-400 treble.

The bass has been interesting to listen to.  It seems to be very recording specific.  The bass can be monstrous at times but other times, it can take a back seat to the mids.  No matter the quantity of the bass, the quality is always there.  There's never a danger of bloated bass drowning out detail in other frequencies.  

Overall, I'm extremely happy with T1's.  For all the detail and clarity, the T1's are still very musical.  I consider myself much more a music fan than an audiophile.  The T1's make music more enjoyable, which is objective #1 for me.  At some point FAR down the road, I hope to try the 2nd gen version.  In the meantime, I will enjoy these very much.

Nice.  Enjoy !!

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #9,858 of 10,994
Getting T70P today/tomorrow.
the denon just looks hilarious with the alpha pad, and it was just too bassheavy for my ear.
I'll be making comparisons with my T1. (maybe also swap earpads and see if it makes any difference).

EDIT:
switched t70P pads out, shoved T1 pads, while T1 gets T70 pads.
(do not try this at home, people)
T1 sounds closed. it still sounds liquid while treble is piercing (assuming because of closed earpads), while T70 sounds more open (still has some noise isolation), but not much as T1

Nov 16, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #9,860 of 10,994
Could someone kindly point me to a site or thread where instructions for reterminating the cable with a 4-pin XLR balanced plug are given?  Thanks.

P.

Nov 17, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #9,862 of 10,994
Nov 20, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #9,864 of 10,994
I'm curious if anyone try to mod the T1 into a closed headphone...its pretty simple but just thought if anyone done it.
Yes, right here actually: http://www.head-fi.org/t/784337/custom-t1-pro-headset

Nov 21, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #9,865 of 10,994
you can also switch T1's ear pads with T70P's ear pad. (or leather earpads if you can find one that can fit DT/T series headphones)
turns it into closed back, somewhat.

Nov 21, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #9,866 of 10,994
  you can also switch T1's ear pads with T70P's ear pad. (or leather earpads if you can find one that can fit DT/T series headphones)

Well, I did do that on top of making them closed-backed.

Nov 22, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #9,867 of 10,994

anybody know how to remove metal part (where screw goes in for holding the cup) out of the headband? I plan to spray it, but spray goes off and scratches on inside, somehow.

Nov 22, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #9,868 of 10,994

anybody know how to remove metal part (where screw goes in for holding the cup) out of the headband? I plan to spray it, but spray goes off and scratches on inside, somehow.

Do you mean this thing (sliding kit)? 

If so then I'd suggest not doing it because it can be damaged during removal. But, if you really want to, there are 2 tabs inside of each sliding kit that work a lot like a zip tie that you have to either pry back or break (that's the hard part, it might just break even if didn't want it too; I'm speaking from experience), and then you'll have to pull it out with a tweezer or something.

By the way, is that a different headband that I am seeing? Did you tear off the old one, ore did you swap out the whole headband completely (which would mean that you already knew how to remove the sliding kit)? Which headband are you using?

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #9,869 of 10,994
I used this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headband-Cushion-Pad-For-BEYERDYNAMIC-DT770-DT880-DT990-PRO-Headphones-/191211056282?hash=item2c85112c9a:g:WyIAAOxyPKNTmIPo
to cover the original headband.

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #9,870 of 10,994
  I used this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headband-Cushion-Pad-For-BEYERDYNAMIC-DT770-DT880-DT990-PRO-Headphones-/191211056282?hash=item2c85112c9a:g:WyIAAOxyPKNTmIPo
to cover the original headband.

Wait do you mean that you put that cushion over the original cushion (giving it double cushioning), or over the metal headband after removing the original cushion? Also what was your reason for doing it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back