The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 15, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #8,746 of 10,994
Thanks guys! I appreciate y'all's input on the amps being used.

I definitely don't feel the bass lacking, but I have heard what sounds like clipping(?) a couple times, that's how I know I need another amp for these. I'm considering something like a Bottlehead crack to give the T1 a fair chance before moving them along. It's weird, but coming from Grados these feel like closed cans to me. The Grados just feel so open!

Mar 15, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #8,747 of 10,994
I bought a used pair of T1s a couple of months ago.  The earpads felt mushy so I bought a new pair which and noticed round foam sponge which go inside the HPs (as you all already know) and cover up the drivers.  It never dawned on me before that mine were missing these.  The prior owner probably removed them in to tweak the sound to his personal liking.  I decided to use the ones that came with the new earpads and for one thing I find the HPs not only fit better, probably mostly due to the fact that the earpads are new but I find that the T1s sound better.  Before having the foam sponge inside, I always had a hard time fitting the HP properly over my ears having to insert most of my ear inside the pad as opposed to the pad resting on the better part of my ear.  What that did was bring my hearing canal closer to the drivers and although some audiophiles may prefer it that way I now realize that the sound is a  bit more expanded with the pads "resting" on my ears.  I've seen/read a few posts on different threads with other HPs, e.g. the HD800s where some members prefer tweaking the inside sponge or removing it altogether claiming less veil or something of the sort coming from their HPs but I find that my T1s sound better with the sponge foam covering the drivers.  I'm just sharing this in order to point out that I guess we all hear differently as, again, I've also read many times on Head-fi. 

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #8,748 of 10,994
  I bought a used pair of T1s a couple of months ago.  The earpads felt mushy so I bought a new pair which and noticed round foam sponge which go inside the HPs (as you all already know) and cover up the drivers.  It never dawned on me before that mine were missing these.  The prior owner probably removed them in to tweak the sound to his personal liking.  I decided to use the ones that came with the new earpads and for one thing I find the HPs not only fit better, probably mostly due to the fact that the earpads are new but I find that the T1s sound better.  Before having the foam sponge inside, I always had a hard time fitting the HP properly over my ears having to insert most of my ear inside the pad as opposed to the pad resting on the better part of my ear.  What that did was bring my hearing canal closer to the drivers and although some audiophiles may prefer it that way I now realize that the sound is a  bit more expanded with the pads "resting" on my ears.  I've seen/read a few posts on different threads with other HPs, e.g. the HD800s where some members prefer tweaking the inside sponge or removing it altogether claiming less veil or something of the sort coming from their HPs but I find that my T1s sound better with the sponge foam covering the drivers.  I'm just sharing this in order to point out that I guess we all hear differently as, again, I've also read many times on Head-fi. 

Very interesting.. stock T1s don't come with that foam disc. I've always thought that the discs can't be installed on T1s as they have a different housing than the DT880/990 series. Would you care to explain how you did that? Just curious. Might go for a try and see if it's to my liking. 

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #8,749 of 10,994

I'd be tempted to get a tube amp if I were in your shoes, particularly for listening to kpop, and modern pop - the bottlehead gave mine a bit more of a bump in the lower frequencies and certainly sounded more pleasing in the midrange (bit more warmth) with artists like 2NE1, SNSD, Amber, 4minute, f(x) and stuff like Charli XCX, Lorde, Robyn, M.I.A. The o2, is a bit too neutral for my tastes with brighter cans like a T1, HD800, K812 etc. As always YMMV and best to see if you can audition something along the line.

Like your taste in kpop & pop music, my girlfriend is Korean but grew up in New York and LA since she was in high school.  She doesn't listen to kpop as much now since I got her to listen to jazz and classic rock but still enjoys it once in a while, me, I like kpop, more so with the ones that have better voices.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #8,750 of 10,994

T1's don't have a foam ring inside the earcup originally.  DT990's (manufaktur edition) and T1's use identical earpads, T1's don't use the foam inside, but DT990's do, that's why when you get the earpads you get the foam as well.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #8,751 of 10,994
Guys, I've had my T1's for almost 2 years now, and I've always wondered but was scared to try out on my own....how loud can T1's really play?  I mean, how well do the drivers tolerate extremely high volume levels. I usually listen to at about 90 db average with some 100 db peaks, but I've always been careful not to turn them up too high, because I'm afraid I might damage the drivers. So, did anyone actually really try to push them to the limit? Maybe measured how loud they can really get without distortion?  I know it's irrelevant since I'll never listen to them louder than I did until now, but I'd like to have that feeling of security when listening to some bass heavier music at higher volume, instead of having to worry that I might cause some damage to the drivers.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #8,752 of 10,994

T1's don't have a foam ring inside the earcup originally.  DT990's (manufaktur edition) and T1's use identical earpads, T1's don't use the foam inside, but DT990's do, that's why when you get the earpads you get the foam as well.

Well I didn't know that obviously.  Thank you.  I'm keeping the foam in though.  I like the way the HPs sound with it. 

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #8,753 of 10,994

Very interesting.. stock T1s don't come with that foam disc. I've always thought that the discs can't be installed on T1s as they have a different housing than the DT880/990 series. Would you care to explain how you did that? Just curious. Might go for a try and see if it's to my liking. 

First I ordered the ear pads from Moon Audio.  They told me the DT511/ 770 / 880 / 990 / pads would fit on the T1s (they are black).  That's why these specific model ear pads come with sponge discs.  Anyways I'll copy the instructions from the accompanying instructional pamphlet step by step :

1-) Turn one ear cup towards you to remove the ear pad from the housing.

2-) Remove the clamping ring, which holds the foam plate in place to cover the system.  Use a flat, dull knife for this.  

3-) Insert the foam plat, supplied with the ear pad onto the housing.  

4-) Put the new ear pad onto the housing.

5-) Repeat steps 1-4 for the other ear cup.

If you have any specific questions just PM me and I'll do my best to help you.  Good luck.

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #8,754 of 10,994
What Groucho said. The cups are essentially the same and can be installed the same way. I have a set of foam discs but haven't tried them in the T1s but from what I've read in the T1 mod thread, it helps with taming the treble if you're sensitive to it.

Mar 16, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #8,755 of 10,994
  Guys, I've had my T1's for almost 2 years now, and I've always wondered but was scared to try out on my own....how loud can T1's really play?  I mean, how well do the drivers tolerate extremely high volume levels. I usually listen to at about 90 db average with some 100 db peaks, but I've always been careful not to turn them up too high, because I'm afraid I might damage the drivers. So, did anyone actually really try to push them to the limit? Maybe measured how loud they can really get without distortion?  I know it's irrelevant since I'll never listen to them louder than I did until now, but I'd like to have that feeling of security when listening to some bass heavier music at higher volume, instead of having to worry that I might cause some damage to the drivers.

Well you listen at some High SPL.
Doing tests like that will produce insignificant results for hand glued transducers with the exception of the DT48, no T1 has the same excursion. Beyer doesn't regulate strict tolerances for the T1 like they did for the DT48. 
I have happily killed my DT990 600Ohm for the sake of science, you exceed power handling and the voice coil wire is snapping from the contact. In short tests like these are not recommended unless you have a bad driver and you are trying to fix it by dampening it by applying pressure on the baffle at specific points.

Mar 16, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #8,756 of 10,994

First I ordered the ear pads from Moon Audio.  They told me the DT511/ 770 / 880 / 990 / pads would fit on the T1s (they are black).  That's why these specific model ear pads come with sponge discs.  Anyways I'll copy the instructions from the accompanying instructional pamphlet step by step :

1-) Turn one ear cup towards you to remove the ear pad from the housing.

2-) Remove the clamping ring, which holds the foam plate in place to cover the system.  Use a flat, dull knife for this.  

3-) Insert the foam plat, supplied with the ear pad onto the housing.  

4-) Put the new ear pad onto the housing.

5-) Repeat steps 1-4 for the other ear cup.

If you have any specific questions just PM me and I'll do my best to help you.  Good luck.

Judging from the inside of the cups, I had always thought that the T1s wouldn't have the 'clamping rings' in their housing--I mean, since they are designed without the foam discs, why would there be rings for attaching the discs? But clearly I was wrong... The fact is that I never took the pads of my T1s yet. I will try this out when there's free time. Many thanks to @Old Groucho @MrEleventy

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #8,758 of 10,994

T1's maximum power handling is around 300mW. That would translate to 126dB.
You should not worry about damaging T1's drivers. Your ears would be damaged long before you can do T1.

Mar 20, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #8,759 of 10,994
Hi,

just an update on my plans to mount the balance Neutrik connector as a replacement for the 1/4" connector.

As I already mentioned I dropped my plans to do it myself after Beyerdynamic informed me that even just a small modification will make me lose the warranty and offered me to send in the connector and do it for me for a small fee.

Received it back today with a perfectly mounted Neutrik 4-pin XLR connector. They even built me a small adapter cable (XLR female to 1/4"), so I can use it on the Bottlehead Crack, which I ordered recently or with other amps without XLR option. Someone even called me to ask if they can cut of a small piece of the original cable for the connector, so they don't have to charge me for using a completely new one for extra costs. Other companies maybe would have just done it to earn some extra money on the cable. Of course I don't miss rougly 10cm of the original cable. That is how you create customer satisfaction. You actually communicate with your customers, when you work with them on special things. 

The small fee was just 34$ for the worktime including shipping back to me, excluding the cost for the male and female Neutrik XLR connectors, which I purchased before and just sent them in with my T1. It took roughly a week, which is very good if you consider shipping time and manual work.

That is what I call flexibility and perfect customer service! I want to take the opportunity to send out a big thanks to Beyerdynamic, a company which I can absolutely recommend!

Now I am enjoying the T1 on my Oppo HA-1, which has way more juice on the balanced out (just need to turn up to 11 now instead of 3-4 on the 1/4" out before).

Mar 20, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #8,760 of 10,994

Congratulations Wurstteppich,

I was luckier than you, I have a friend who does that kind of thing and charges me less & I got my HPs back the same day.  But the XLR balanced mode opens up the sound really well & you're right about the sound/loudness, I have an Auralic Taurus mk2 & where I had the vol. at 11 & sometimes 12 o'clock with the 1/4 single connector, w/the xlr I have it at 8/9 at the most.  Just more juice powering the T1 and it also opens up the sound as I've already mentionned.  Hope you enjoy them also. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back