The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 13, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #8,732 of 10,994

Did you change anything? 

I dn't know if it's because they're 600ohm or what, but sometimes I've found with the T1s that I need to take them just a tad higher on the dial. They will only get marginally louder, but yet sound fuller. 

I just turning up the volume and the bass suddenly had a lot more body or punch. I always keep the volume down to avoid distracting others around me. The 1.5mm of space between the cup and yoke on the right side is driving me nuts. Every time them up I can feel, I can feel it sliding about. If only I had a herx screwdriver around. 

Mar 13, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #8,733 of 10,994
hey guys, new T1 owner here. I got these used a couple days ago, and I've been reading the last few pages of this thread for the last few days. I'm glad you guys are touching on this subject right now, since I was just about to ask this too. It seems to me that I get a much better sound outta these but only at higher volumes, and it seems most here are confirming this also. Do any of you guys use these at lower volume? it seems like they are really lacking in this department, although admittedly, I feel like I am not amping them to their max potential. Does this change with better amping much?

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #8,734 of 10,994
Personally - I don't use overly high volumes with the T1 - but I do drive them with either NFB-12 or LD MKIV - so plenty of voltage available.

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #8,735 of 10,994
  hey guys, new T1 owner here. I got these used a couple days ago, and I've been reading the last few pages of this thread for the last few days. I'm glad you guys are touching on this subject right now, since I was just about to ask this too. It seems to me that I get a much better sound outta these but only at higher volumes, and it seems most here are confirming this also. Do any of you guys use these at lower volume? it seems like they are really lacking in this department, although admittedly, I feel like I am not amping them to their max potential. Does this change with better amping much?

I think they're great for low and medium volume listening ok for loud, another story with the LCD-3 I like em loud.

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #8,736 of 10,994
I had always considered myself a loud listener, but only now realized that that's no longer true. I think that coming from Grados, they have helped me turn down the volume and still enjoy the music.
I'm still debating whether to buy an amp just for these, or going a different route.

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #8,737 of 10,994

Hi ​wormsdriver,

Personally I believe that a number of factors need to be considered here, for example, the genre of music, the quality of the production, the period it was recorded, studio or live, etc.  Then the source & amp the listener is using, etc.  For example as I'm writing this I'm listening to a CD, "Travel Log" / by J.J. Cale w/T1s, w/SACD/CD Teac 2000 as my source, in xlr balanced mode w/Auralic Taurus mk2 amp.  The volume is at ten o'clock & the detail is first class, so is the soundstage, the highs & mids shine & the bass is just perfect.  No roll off on the cymbals, quite transient & fast.  Now, I keep in mind that J.J. Cale plays mellow rock/country blues & either plays an acoustic guitar or when he's playing electric it comes through quite clearly because he's a precision note picker and not a heavy metal type guitar player; add to the whole that he also produced his albums from the very start of his career which began in the late '50s & this album was recorded in 1989 = he had become an accomplished producer = the quality of his albums sound wise is first class.  There are other albums which I have, especially "Hits compilations, Gold Series" comprising several different artists which means that some songs sound great and others not so great.  Some I have to play a bit louder in order to hear the low mids for example & hopefully not create distortion in the high mids, etc.  My point here is there are so many intangibles (and I've only pointed out a few that I could think of) that come into play but you've touched on an important point in my opinion in the last sentence of your post which is amping.  Generally speaking there is no longer any doubt in my mind that a quality amp makes a world of difference in bringing out the best possible sound from a pair of quality HPs.  

*everything I've just written is only my opinion based on my years of listening to different HPs, amps & genres of music; I respect every/any opinion which may differ from mine; I believe our aim on this site is to share our personal experience and hopefully help someone else*

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #8,738 of 10,994
  I just turning up the volume and the bass suddenly had a lot more body or punch. I always keep the volume down to avoid distracting others around me. 

Cool, glad that helped a little.  
beerchug.gif

hey guys, new T1 owner here.

Congrats, bro!!! 

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #8,739 of 10,994
  Personally - I don't use overly high volumes with the T1 - but I do drive them with either NFB-12 or LD MKIV - so plenty of voltage available.

I think this is the thing. Driving things well at all, irrespective of volume, requires adequate reserves. I think many people fall into the trap of thinking achieving adequate volume means you're driving a headphone well. The HE-6 brought that particular lesson home for me.

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #8,740 of 10,994
Focker said:

hey guys, new T1 owner here.

Congrats, bro!!! 

thanks!

Hi ​wormsdriver,

Personally I believe that a number of factors need to be considered here, for example, the genre of music, the quality of the production, the period it was recorded, studio or live, etc.  Then the source & amp the listener is using, etc.  For example as I'm writing this I'm listening to a CD, "Travel Log" / by J.J. Cale w/T1s, w/SACD/CD Teac 2000 as my source, in xlr balanced mode w/Auralic Taurus mk2 amp.  The volume is at ten o'clock & the detail is first class, so is the soundstage, the highs & mids shine & the bass is just perfect.  No roll off on the cymbals, quite transient & fast.  Now, I keep in mind that J.J. Cale plays mellow rock/country blues & either plays an acoustic guitar or when he's playing electric it comes through quite clearly because he's a precision note picker and not a heavy metal type guitar player; add to the whole that he also produced his albums from the very start of his career which began in the late '50s & this album was recorded in 1989 = he had become an accomplished producer = the quality of his albums sound wise is first class.  There are other albums which I have, especially "Hits compilations, Gold Series" comprising several different artists which means that some songs sound great and others not so great.  Some I have to play a bit louder in order to hear the low mids for example & hopefully not create distortion in the high mids, etc.  My point here is there are so many intangibles (and I've only pointed out a few that I could think of) that come into play but you've touched on an important point in my opinion in the last sentence of your post which is amping.  Generally speaking there is no longer any doubt in my mind that a quality amp makes a world of difference in bringing out the best possible sound from a pair of quality HPs.  

*everything I've just written is only my opinion based on my years of listening to different HPs, amps & genres of music; I respect every/any opinion which may differ from mine; I believe our aim on this site is to share our personal experience and hopefully help someone else*

I agree on all points and how important amping is. my home amp is a Mad Ear+ HD which does a very decent job of driving them, but I do feel it's not driving them to their full potential.
Hopefully I'll get some time with them today or tomorrow and try out a couple of other tubes I have for the Mad Ear, see how it goes...

I think this is the thing. Driving things well at all, irrespective of volume, requires adequate reserves. I think many people fall into the trap of thinking achieving adequate volume means you're driving a headphone well. The HE-6 brought that particular lesson home for me.

yeah, many people do confuse the two. I tried the T1 on several different sources, just about all of them can give them ear splitting volume, but not the proper drive.

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #8,741 of 10,994
I only listen at low to medium volumes for the most part and I can't say the T1 lacks bass or anything else. Some CDs lack bass but that's a different problem for which there are two solutions:

1) Get a second headphone that accentuates the bass;

2) Use a headphone amp that has a bass control of some kind.

I use the iFi Audio micro iCAN. This is a terrific amp for the money. It plays easily at the level of other amps I've heard costing much more. I compared it directly to an Audiolab 8200CDQ (a close sibling of the M-DAC) and it was every bit as good (using T1's). I compared the 8200CDQ directly to a beyerdynamic A1 (again on T1's) and could not tell them apart. This makes the micro iCAN superb value for money. It sounds amazing with the T1.

Then there is XBASS. The micro iCAN offers two levels of analogue bass boost and very well judged they are. The first level adds some subsonic bass that can be a little lacking on some CDs. The higher level is perfect for putting back what is missing from all those CDs made in the 80's (and a few later ones). It's perfect for classic rock and metal.

Mar 14, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #8,742 of 10,994
Personally speaking I used to turn up the volume on the T1 when I first purchased it. It's a headphone that you can crank up and the sound will not distort and continue to sound coherent. I guess it means it's a technically proficient piece of kit. It also means that you can easily have it too loud and not notice.

I've also noticed that the sound signature of a headphone has an effect on the perspective of volume.

I have my audio technicas at 7-8:30 max before it gets too loud, their forward sound puts the music is nearer to you - so low-med volume is exactly what they are designed for imo.
With the T1 I've set my volume wheel to 09:30-11 max. The T1 puts the music slightly at a distance in comparison to the ATs, and even now I still need to adjust - and I do so just by continuing to listen rather than to push up the volume in order to emulate the AT presentation.

Your experience with the Grado struck a chord with me. It may be that you just need to adjust to the T1's sound. Even if you do, when switching from different headphones, at least for me, there will always be a period when the brain/ears acclimatise.

I try to turn the volume as low as its possible for me to enjoy the music - I want to protect my ears as much as possible.

Mar 14, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #8,743 of 10,994

I had always considered myself a loud listener, but only now realized that that's no longer true. I think that coming from Grados, they have helped me turn down the volume and still enjoy the music.
I'm still debating whether to buy an amp just for these, or going a different route.

cool, i didn't know you got the t1

i came from grado's too, and i listen at low to medium volumes also
the amps i've used with the t1, the woo wa3, the schiit magni 2u, and now the little dot mkiii, have all sounded great to me, the woo gave me the best sound overall, dynamic, spacious, warm but still with plenty of detail, the LD and the magni i feel aren't all the far behind, and both about as good as each other, but a little different in sound, as would be expected .
i'll be looking forward to see how the t1 experience evolve for you

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #8,744 of 10,994
With the T1s, I used a spl meter and found that I listen at around 70-75db, no complaints about the bass. Amped the T1s with a nfb 12.1, darkvoice 336, magni2u, and now a ld mk iii. Love the setup. Might eventually get a ss amp. :)

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #8,745 of 10,994
My amp/dac of choice for my T1 is the Woo Audio WA7 w/tube power supply. It has a high impedance switch for cans like the T1, and I don't normally have to raise volume higher than 9 o'clock to get full sound quality (I mostly listen to hi rez or quality lossless downloads these days). I too come from Grado's and recently added the Fostex TH 900 and they are all quite different but the WA7 is great with each one. I'm a tube guy but there are some great solid state amps too, hope you enjoy the T1!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back