The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 9, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #8,011 of 10,994

*very* nice but out of budget is Beyers own A2. Their A20 might also be an interesting option, though I've not heard that combination for long enough.

As @Focker mentioned Meier Audio amps pair very well with the T1. I own a Corda Classic and can support that claim. Jans gear offers solid value for its price, so stretching your budget a bit to reach the Classic (or waiting for a sale, maybe around Christmas) is well worth it.

Good call..I always forget about the Beyer amp. Have heard many positive reviews on it. 

Oct 9, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #8,012 of 10,994
Bit of a left field suggestion maybe but I'm VERY happy with my Metrum Aurix.  T1 sounds great out of it, less coloured than my previous V200, allows the natural characteristics of the T1 shine without being harsh.  Not thick and tubey but great, natural timbre

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #8,013 of 10,994
Thanks for all the suggestions thus far, you guys rule.
smily_headphones1.gif

On my list of interest so far :
NuForce Ha-200
Matrix M-Stage
Meier Corda Jazz
Meier Corda Classic
Lake People G103S or P

Got a lot of homework to look over.
smily_headphones1.gif

You might want to replace the Matrix M-Stage with the Matrix Quattro (amp, not DAC) because it's almost the same amp in single ended mode, but runs fully balanced (in & out) too. It's been my reference SS amp for a while now and like the M-Stage is amazing value. I rolled the op amps in mine so it's even better now. Mine happens to also be for sale, but I'd be telling you this even if it weren't and there's no push to buy mine, but do check them out.

Oct 10, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #8,014 of 10,994
Thanks for all the suggestions thus far, you guys rule.
smily_headphones1.gif

On my list of interest so far :
NuForce Ha-200
Matrix M-Stage
Meier Corda Jazz
Meier Corda Classic
Lake People G103S or P

Got a lot of homework to look over.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd replace the G103 with the G109P as its the only model of that series with relay protection in the output stage.

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #8,015 of 10,994
Any more impressions between the newer and older versions, any improvement in overall SQ? I currently have an LCD-3 and think of getting a T1, sometimes I just leave my headphones on for a long time and the LCD-3 makes my head hurt  :frowning2: .  I might even sell the LCD-3 moded with fazors :O

Any noticed change when going from SE to Balanced ?

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #8,016 of 10,994
  Any more impressions between the newer and older versions, any improvement in overall SQ? I currently have an LCD-3 and think of getting a T1, sometimes I just leave my headphones on for a long time and the LCD-3 makes my head hurt  :frowning2: .  I might even sell the LCD-3 moded with fazors :O

I own the T1's and I have followed this thread for a long time. Beyer does not claim any change between new or early T1's. Some valued members on this forum have heard a difference in T1's models but not due to specific age. Then we have people like Macedonian Hero who has owned more than one pair one old and one newer and claim no difference. I think the only reasonable conclusion is that quality control from  Beyer has not been all it should be at this price point. 

I have no complaints about the sound of my T1's and they are nearly 2 years old. The only change I heard is when I ordered new ear pads to replace the original using the correct Beyer part and I found them  to be different, warmer sounding than the original. The ear opening was also slightly smaller. If Beyer has made actual production changes they have kept it secret. Were I to order a new pair and they sounded thin and bright as some claim I would just return them .I enjoy mine and never had a problem with them. Just order from a place that accepts returns.

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #8,017 of 10,994
You might want to replace the Matrix M-Stage with the Matrix Quattro (amp, not DAC) because it's almost the same amp in single ended mode, but runs fully balanced (in & out) too. It's been my reference SS amp for a while now and like the M-Stage is amazing value. I rolled the op amps in mine so it's even better now. Mine happens to also be for sale, but I'd be telling you this even if it weren't and there's no push to buy mine, but do check them out.
Duly noted. Balanced output was an option that I was considering. The nuforce Ha-200s can be used as a monoblock amp. Just have to buy another one. :)

I'd replace the G103 with the G109P as its the only model of that series with relay protection in the output stage.
My understanding of relay protection is very basic to nil, I've heard the term and it's usually to prevent the power on thump/surge. Other than that, is there a reason to have it?

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #8,019 of 10,994
  pulling my T1 off the rack this week to give my LCD-X and my neck a little break :wink:  turn it up loud enough it sounds pretty good. loads more sparkle, bit thinner in the body and bass.

i concur

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #8,020 of 10,994
is good for acoustic guitar, spanish guitar, dire straits, airier vocals on quainter tracks etc...

3 guesses the song i am listening too while writing this...

private investigations

you know i just realized how u2's latest album actually steals it's style from jane's addiction - the great escape artist. the similarities are uncanny.

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #8,021 of 10,994

I forgot how comfortable the T1 is.  I just got them for the third time, been about a year since I last had them.  I was going to install mini xlr's inside the cups, but it was somewhat more safe to make some adapters from OCC Litz pure copper.  I'm using the DHC Molecule Extreme right now.  I have four of the latest design cables that use Type 4/6 LItz.  The T1 likes it's copper, actually the stock cable is not too bad, but the new Litz designs have better bass response, more texture, and a wider soundstage.  The Molecule Extreme is Peter's latest ventures using 18 awg type 6 Litz design.  The sound has more body, with better tone, using this cable.  Using my Denon 4800 vintage 2000, makes some beautiful detailed music, using speaker taps to feed the T1, 125wpc into 8 ohms...they like power, makes a more rich sound!

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #8,022 of 10,994

I forgot how comfortable the T1 is.  I just got them for the third time, been about a year since I last had them.  I was going to install mini xlr's inside the cups, but it was somewhat more safe to make some adapters from OCC Litz pure copper.  I'm using the DHC Molecule Extreme right now.  I have four of the latest design cables that use Type 4/6 LItz.  The T1 likes it's copper, actually the stock cable is not too bad, but the new Litz designs have better bass response, more texture, and a wider soundstage.  The Molecule Extreme is Peter's latest ventures using 18 awg type 6 Litz design.  The sound has more body, with better tone, using this cable.  Using my Denon 4800 vintage 2000, makes some beautiful detailed music, using speaker taps to feed the T1, 125wpc into 8 ohms...they like power, makes a more rich sound!

i think all headphones like more power and on average headphone amps are a little on the shy side as a bucket statement.  ofcourse there are a few with significant power but in general i think they make them a bit too weak. would be nice to see a trend of punchier headphone amps across the board.

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #8,023 of 10,994

i think all headphones like more power and on average headphone amps are a little on the shy side as a bucket statement.  ofcourse there are a few with significant power but in general i think they make them a bit too weak. would be nice to see a trend of punchier headphone amps across the board.

The T1's are rated for a max of 300mw but I have used them with several different amps and its been my experience also that they really like a beefy amp with lots of power. I currently have them with the Taurus and the extra power reserve brings out more detail.

Oct 11, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #8,024 of 10,994
How the headphone sounds with an amp has nothing to do with lots of power. It can only take the amount of power as it is rated for. Using a 1 W amp against a 500mW amp may sound different but nit because It has more power. T1 can only take 300mW.

If you say T1 needs 1 Watt of power to sound good prove it crank up the volume all the way to max of that 1W amp at max volume and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back