The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 11, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #6,076 of 10,994
The other thing about the cable though, is that it is perfectly ready for an XLR swap! It's very easy with this cable, and I've seen a few people do it. But oddly enough (IMO at least) there's just no talk about the T1 with any balanced amps. I've been curious about trying balanced for a while, but I don't want to jump in without some ideas and opinions to start from, haha.

I got my T1 modded with balanced cable from the get go. I'm using the Hifi-M8 for my balanced setup. For me the difference between Balanced and single-ended for T1 is so subtle in terms of soundstage and stereo separation. The difference may also vary depending on the records you play. Some will have no discernable difference at all and some more profound .

The tonal quality across the FR does not appear to differ in between setups.

If you already have a balance amp then it does make sense to try it. But it's not a must for T1 I can say.

I'm actually going to have a little DIY project creating a lighter shorter 3.5mm plug single-ended cable for my T1 so I can bring it with me sometimes when I feel like walking around the park. It actually sounds great with portable amps like the C5D or UHA-4. The balanced cable is just too long, the dual 3-pin XLR connectors are bulky and heavy which is not a problem when you are sitting at your desk at home. But definitely a burden if you plan to take the T1 on a stroll. :)

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #6,077 of 10,994
  The other thing about the cable though, is that it is perfectly ready for an XLR swap! It's very easy with this cable, and I've seen a few people do it. But oddly enough (IMO at least) there's just no talk about the T1 with any balanced amps. I've been curious about trying balanced for a while, but I don't want to jump in without some ideas and opinions to start from, haha.

there are a few people who use it balanced  but i cant remember who. Check the images in this thread - find the balanced t1 pics and the person who posted them. This has come up before, there are only a few authorized vendors that can re-cable the t1 and keep the headphone in guarantee. 

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #6,078 of 10,994
  there are a few people who use it balanced  but i cant remember who. Check the images in this thread - find the balanced t1 pics and the person who posted them. This has come up before, there are only a few authorized vendors that can re-cable the t1 and keep the headphone in guarantee. 

Moon Audio is authorized to re-cable the T1. I had them install a Black Dragon for me. Looking back, I would've done it myself to the stock cable, but I was not into DIY like I am today.

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #6,079 of 10,994
I reterminated mine to balanced recently. Just cut 1 foot off the stock cable and make a XLR to SE dongle. Cost me pennies comparing to using aftermarket recablers and just some time . . . and cursing when I burned my finger.  LOL
biggrin.gif

I think the biggest difference is soundstage increase, perhaps better controlled bass.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #6,080 of 10,994
  I reterminated mine to balanced recently. Just cut 1 foot off the stock cable and make a XLR to SE dongle. Cost me pennies comparing to using aftermarket recablers and just some time . . . and cursing when I burned my finger.  LOL
biggrin.gif

I think the biggest difference is soundstage increase, perhaps better controlled bass.

I found the same results. Lower crosstalk and better power-handling. The most noticeable being controlled bass.

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #6,081 of 10,994
So i bought the t1 about a month ago and a musical fidelity m1 hpa amp. But i was very unlucky the amp died after about 20 hours. And i sent it back and got a new one and it died in the same way. Must 've been from a faulty batch or something then i decided to get a beyerdynamic a1 amp instead and it's probably a better amp and match for the t1's. 

I'm still waiting for the new amp to arrive next week.... When the a1 arrives my setup will be complete:

Macbook Pro Retina -> USB cable -> MF v-link 192 usb to spdif converter -> digital coax cable -> hegel hd20 -> rcacable -> beyerdynamic a1 -> beyerdynamic t1

All cables are supra which is nice quality cables.

I'm thrilled to hear everything with the a1 amp, the m1 hpa amp was ok but a bit harsh in the treble.. 

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #6,083 of 10,994
I just got a pair.

OMG...I don't know what to say (and I can't say much 'cause I've got a big smile on my face right now). 
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #6,085 of 10,994

Yes, they are fantastic!  

I knew they are fantastic.

I had heard them before, but not in the privacy of my house with my own equipment and my own music.

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #6,086 of 10,994

I knew they are fantastic.

I had heard them before, but not in the privacy of my house with my own equipment and my own music.

what amp do you use

Dec 15, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #6,087 of 10,994
  what amp do you use

Right now I'm down to one "amp" - the headphone out of my Yulong D100.   The T1 still sounds wonderful out of the Yulong.

I'm still debating about which amp to get.  I'm thinking about the WA7, but that purchase will have to wait until I can get the funds together (my girlfriend has other ideas for my money...like house improvements).

I wonder if an Aune T1 can tide me over until then.

Dec 15, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #6,088 of 10,994

Right now I'm down to one "amp" - the headphone out of my Yulong D100.   The T1 still sounds wonderful out of the Yulong.

I'm still debating about which amp to get.  I'm thinking about the WA7, but that purchase will have to wait until I can get the funds together (my girlfriend has other ideas for my money...like house improvements).

I wonder if an Aune T1 can tide me over until then.

sell your girlfriend on ebay and get the WA2 
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #6,089 of 10,994
  sell your girlfriend on ebay and get the WA2 
wink.gif

I'll trade her for the WA7
tongue.gif

I just got rid of my HA-160 because I wanted to get a tube amp.  Initially I thought I was going to get a Crack because the thought of putting it together seemed interesting...but the WA7 is just so freaking beautiful - it's like some kind of high-tech sculpture (art for geeks).

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #6,090 of 10,994
Yes, they are fantastic!  

+1 !

the V200 has been running for about a 100 hrs now and everything falls into place. The bass is so deep and fast! With a slight EQ of -5 at 8 kHz they really start to sing. Using the Apple plug-in EQ in Pure Music for that. The Metrum Hex is a perfect match for this set. Fast as hell and delivering everiy bit of information without loosing touch to the music ....

can't wipe that grin off my face either...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back