The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 16, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #2,521 of 10,994
Quote:
Does anyone else go through phases where sometimes the bass just seems lacking? It's happening to me a lot lately and kind of driving me nuts. I know it's most psychoacoustics since it sounds perfect at times.

Only very briefly if I listen to the ED8 for an extended period of time, but a couple of sessions of listening usually re-adjusts the brain.

May 16, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #2,523 of 10,994
Quote:

I'll put radiohead in the rotation tonight. Any tracks in particular that bug the most? 

I remember the Lyr to be very microphonic, but I only had the LCD2s at the time, which being much darker are more forgiving of the amp. It's not a bad amp but I didn't love it. No idea about the Audio-Gd.

I'll find particular tracks when I get home tonight. 

Been listening to In Rainbows, King of Limbs and The Bends recently. For Muse, I've been finding Origin of Symmetry to be quite sibilant.

May 16, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #2,524 of 10,994
... and i was thinking of sending it back, I just applied a surgery for my T1 and you're not gonna believe it ,,, the rattling is gone completely .. i mean i'm stunned myself .. i just keep puffin the driver and hitting it then freeze it for some time << stupid and desperate efforts i know .. :wink:

here's some pictures in the middle of surgery

( i have to say the build quality from the inside is the same as the outside if not better )

i'm really thankful for Zombie_X for pushing me to do it.

some initial impressions :-

♦ Comparing the T1 to the d5k, it doesn't offer that much for the money.
♦ the odd thing about the T1 that it has much more details, sound stage, separation between instruments and treble but it's not harsh, i don't know how to say it, the treble is kinda rolled off but it's very detailed, the sound in general is very smooth and never sharp.
♦ some of the micro details in the movies it feels like it's coming for your brain. << i'm not exaggerating
♦ the T1 best the d5k in everything except for the bass, i mean the bass is perfect but it's not boomy and hard like the denons, the denon's bass is like subwoofers.
♦ What is so special about the T1 is the highs, it's silky and smooth and very detailed at the same time, you can hear so much in the highs, it's very tempting to turn the volume up all the time.
♦ as for the build quality of the T1 i think you could drop them off a skyscraper and throw them to the wall and they won't get even a scratch on them, believe the T1 has a very solid feel to it, you can say it's built to last for sure.

notice that i'm comparing them unamped ( directly from the laptop ), i really can't wait to see how the T1 perform with the M-stage.

May 16, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #2,525 of 10,994
Quote:
... and i was thinking of sending it back, I just applied a surgery for my T1 and you're not gonna believe it ,,, the rattling is gone completely .. i mean i'm stunned myself .. i just keep puffin the driver and hitting it then freeze it for some time << stupid and desperate efforts i know .. :wink:

here's some pictures in the middle of surgery

( i have to say the build quality from the inside is the same as the outside if not better )

i'm really thankful for Zombie_X for pushing me to do it.

some initial impressions :-

♦ Comparing the T1 to the d5k, it doesn't offer that much for the money.
♦ the odd thing about the T1 that it has much more details, sound stage, separation between instruments and treble but it's not harsh, i don't know how to say it, the treble is kinda rolled off but it's very detailed, the sound in general is very smooth and never sharp.
♦ some of the micro details in the movies it feels like it's coming for your brain. << i'm not exaggerating
♦ the T1 best the d5k in everything except for the bass, i mean the bass is perfect but it's not boomy and hard like the denons, the denon's bass is like subwoofers.
♦ What is so special about the T1 is the highs, it's silky and smooth and very detailed at the same time, you can hear so much in the highs, it's very tempting to turn the volume up all the time.
♦ as for the build quality of the T1 i think you could drop them off a skyscraper and throw them to the wall and they won't get even a scratch on them, believe the T1 has a very solid feel to it, you can say it's built to last for sure.

notice that i'm comparing them unamped ( directly from the laptop ), i really can't wait to see how the T1 perform with the M-stage.

So what did you do when you opened it up, did you use a hairdryer or something?

May 16, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #2,527 of 10,994
Quote:

Don't sit on them
redface.gif
. The metal yolks bend very easily. They are easy to bend back in place, but still having the fit messed up and then have to tweak it to get it back right is a drag.

So the build quality is nice, but they are not bullet proof at all. The yolks use a softer metal which is vulnerable to idiots not watching where they put their weight. Skyscraper fall would probably be a bad idea too 
smile.gif

May 16, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #2,528 of 10,994
Quote:

Don't sit on them
redface.gif
. The metal yolks bend very easily. They are easy to bend back in place, but still having the fit messed up and then have to tweak it to get it back right is a drag.

So the build quality is nice, but they are not bullet proof at all. The yolks use a softer metal which is vulnerable to idiots not watching where they put their weight. Skyscraper fall would probably be a bad idea too 
smile.gif

very funny, i was kidding about skyscraper even if it happens, it won't be a problem.

May 16, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #2,530 of 10,994
Struggling to enjoy these as much when they highlight sibilance so much in most of my music.
frown.gif

Perhaps the Asus Essence STX soundcard is the culprit? The T1 may be more forgiving than the more revealing HD800 but will still sound strident and exhibit harsh highs with less than stellar sources me thinks. You might want to consider swapping the op amps of the Essence STX in getting rid of the sibilance. Food for thought.

May 16, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #2,532 of 10,994
This setup kicks some serious ass. Really dynamic, musical and with a heck of a clean, powerful bass impact.

Leben CS300XS with Mullard EL84's (use it to power Elan 35 speakers normally) . Beyerdynamic T1 recabled to balanced with piccilino cable (cost me more than the headphones). Raysonic CD228 Tube CD player (early internal prototype with power switch on side).

May 16, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #2,533 of 10,994
Quote:
This setup kicks some serious ass. Really dynamic, musical and with a heck of a clean, powerful bass impact.

Leben CS300XS with Mullard EL84's (use it to power Elan 35 speakers normally) . Beyerdynamic T1 recabled to balanced with piccilino cable (cost me more than the headphones). Raysonic CD228 Tube CD player (early internal prototype with power switch on side).

May 16, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #2,534 of 10,994
So is that a headphone amp preamp you are using? I am going to do my jh16s and ue 18s with the piccolino cable p.s If they are balanced i thought you could use balanced xlr on the back but i have never balanced any so it's all new to me, but i see you have a balancer nob on the headphone amp?

The Leben is an integrated amp that happens to have a heaphone to as well.

May 16, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #2,535 of 10,994
Quote:
Beyerdynamic T1 recabled to balanced with piccilino cable (cost me more than the headphones). 

Cables that cost more than the T1? That's pretty, ehm, hardcore.
Out of curiosity, what difference did you find they make?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back