The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 15, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #1,876 of 10,994

Quote:
Oh, and this adaptor abolishes any possible sibilance issues there might be with the T1.
@ ZenErik, I just listened to that song you posted. Without the adaptor, there is sibilance with the T1, although I would not say it is unlistenable. I've heard worse. But with the 120Ω adaptor, there is no sibilance. At all.
I strongly recommend to try this rather simple "mod" to anyone who has issues with harsh treble and/or sibilance with the T1. Unless you already have an amp with a high output impendance, that is!

Thanks for the input. Perhaps the adapter smooths out the treble, but I hear the sibilance on all of my headphones and speakers. Not just the T1. Our hearing must be quite a bit different. :)

Make no mistake about it. I'm not saying the T1 is a sibilant headphone. Just that something in my hearing changed so that I pick out sibilance very quickly when I did not notice it before. As mentioned earlier, my critical listening has likely improved for better or worse, haha. I just listened to song I posted via laptop speakers and heard the same issues with the recording. Doesn't matter what I am using. I just seemed to first develop this keen ear to sibilance within my first hour or so with the T1.

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #1,877 of 10,994

Quote:
x2 + bigger Soundstage.

It was the main idea of the beyer engineers to use the T1 with high output Impedance ports.

I didn't notice any changes in the soundstage, but I usually listen with crossfeed which might have some influence on this.

And yes, as far as I know all Beyer headphones are designed for use with a 120Ω output (FWIR, this is an international standard in pro audio equipment). Their own A1 amplifier, which supposedly was designed for the T1, has a 120Ω output as well.
For those interested, there's some more information on the entire output impedance thing on the Meier Audio homepage. That's where I got the idea from in the first place...

To be honest I'm a bit surprised that this little tweak isn't more popular around here, since it does not require to make any changes with the headphone itself, and costs $20 at the most (when using Neutrik connectors).

Quote:
Excellent post. Thanks for the detailed response and findings. Keep us updated!

Thanks, I will post further impressions after doing some more extensive listening.

Quote:
Interesting findings. The stock T1's bass is one of my favourite aspects of it. The lost of "crispness" would be undesirable to me as well. Wouldn't hurt to try it out though.

I gather from your forum signature that you are using the T1 with a WA2, which already has an output impedance of around 60Ω. Have you ever tried the T1 with an solid state amp (output impedance close to zero)?
It's possible that the 60Ω are a sweet spot where the T1 still has its crispness without being harsh. I will eventually make another adaptor with a 60Ω impedance and see how this compares to the 120Ω.

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Perhaps the adapter smooths out the treble, but I hear the sibilance on all of my headphones and speakers. Not just the T1. Our hearing must be quite a bit different. :)

Make no mistake about it. I'm not saying the T1 is a sibilant headphone. Just that something in my hearing changed so that I pick out sibilance very quickly when I did not notice it before. As mentioned earlier, my critical listening has likely improved for better or worse, haha. I just listened to song I posted via laptop speakers and heard the same issues with the recording. Doesn't matter what I am using. I just seemed to first develop this keen ear to sibilance within my first hour or so with the T1.

When you are hearing sibilance with all your equipment then it's quite possibly your hearing that's sensitive to certain frequencies. But don't worry, your hearing will get worse as the years pass and probably this sensitivity will disappear as well. You can somewhat boost this process by blasting music into your ears with cheap earbuds at the maximum possible volume, and standing right in front of the speakers at concerts
biggrin.gif

Personally I'm sensitive to overly bassy headphones, I get a headache when listening too long...

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #1,879 of 10,994

Quote:
When you are hearing sibilance with all your equipment then it's quite possibly your hearing that's sensitive to certain frequencies. But don't worry, your hearing will get worse as the years pass and probably this sensitivity will disappear as well. You can somewhat boost this process by blasting music into your ears with cheap earbuds at the maximum possible volume, and standing right in front of the speakers at concerts
biggrin.gif

Personally I'm sensitive to overly bassy headphones, I get a headache when listening too long...

I think so too. You would have figured my years in drum corps, percussion ensemble, etc., and playing drum set in a few bands over the years would have already destroyed my hearing. Now in my mid-20s, I've been a lot more careful with my hearing over the past 6 or so years. Perhaps that has helped.

Too much bass bothers me as well. For me the T1 has just about the perfect about of bass. It's wonderful for such a wide variety of music.

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #1,880 of 10,994
i will buy some variable resistors to check it out on my 1 OHM amplifier.
A variable resistor is a potentiometer with only two connecting wires instead of three. However, although the actual component is the same, it does a very different job. The pot allows us to control the potential passed through a circuit. The variable resistance lets us adjust the resistance between two points in a circuit.
A variable resistance is useful when we don't know in advance what resistor value will be required in a circuit. By using pots as an adjustable resistor we can set the right value once the circuit is working.
Ra=variable

​

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #1,881 of 10,994
Hi Guys,

I haven't been on since I've had a really bad case of the flu, so I've been confined to my bed. I'm feeling better today so I ventured into my computer room. 

2dyclectic, as odd as it may sound I can't read schematics at all. I want to try and make an adapter like you mentioned so I can use my IEM's and lower impedance headphones on my SPL Auditor. Could you help in explaining what parts I may need and how to build said adapter? Judging from the schematics it looks like I would solder said resistors to the L/R pads in my 1/4" jack and leave the ground untouched, right? Sorry if it's basic stuff my my mind is in a haze as I've only had 4 hours of sleep total over the past few days.

ZenErick, did your M1DAC come yet? If so please let me know what you think. I think the improvement over the stock M-Stage DAC should be enormous. Also if you can, please post pictures.

Jan 17, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #1,882 of 10,994
I must say I'm very pleased with the way T1 sounds from Isabellina>WA2. I've only listened a couple of times. I guess I will still prefer other headphones like HD650 and DT770/600 for older recordings. I was dissapointed with an early Atlantic recording with Aretha Franklin, though the sound was good, there was just too much noise. But I'm positive that with new well recorded music, I will prefer T1 in the future. They are very revealing and enjoyable. If source material, source and amp is right, there is nothing annoying about the sound. They just get it right:) Listening to Tom Jones: Did trouble me, has been the best experience so far. Very intimate and close-up. Also Amy Winehouse: Will you still love me and Cardigans: For what it's worth, was good. Very transparent and detailed.

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #1,883 of 10,994

Quote:
ZenErick, did your M1DAC come yet? If so please let me know what you think. I think the improvement over the stock M-Stage DAC should be enormous. Also if you can, please post pictures.

Ordered on the 6th from Music Direct. Still has not shipped. :'( I've been without a DAC for a while now that my M-Stage sold.

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #1,884 of 10,994
Quote:
i will buy some variable resistors to check it out on my 1 OHM amplifier.

That's an excellent idea. I have thought about using two pot's at first do determine the impedance that works best, but I didn't have two identical ones lying around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Judging from the schematics it looks like I would solder said resistors to the L/R pads in my 1/4" jack and leave the ground untouched, right?

That's right. But I strongly recommend to build a separate adaptor that plugs between the headphones and your amplifier. You can use a spare extension cable if you have one, or buy a cheap one and then solder the resistors into the R+/L+ cables.

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #1,885 of 10,994
I'm not so good at electronics as well but i think this is ok.plz correct me if wrong.
I will by a breadboard as on the picture ~4$  +  extensioncable 0.5M
U can put in components in the hole without soldering .
Some metal film resistors 1W.
OHM  Pieces Left         OHM   Pieces Right
50        3                         50        3
10        1                         10        1
  5        1                           5        1
Different values Combined parallel-serial.
When u are satisfied u can solder the resistor into the cable.

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I haven't been on since I've had a really bad case of the flu, so I've been confined to my bed. I'm feeling better today so I ventured into my computer room. 

2dyclectic, as odd as it may sound I can't read schematics at all. I want to try and make an adapter like you mentioned so I can use my IEM's and lower impedance headphones on my SPL Auditor. Could you help in explaining what parts I may need and how to build said adapter? Judging from the schematics it looks like I would solder said resistors to the L/R pads in my 1/4" jack and leave the ground untouched, right? Sorry if it's basic stuff my my mind is in a haze as I've only had 4 hours of sleep total over the past few days.

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #1,886 of 10,994
In theory, adding the 120 Ohm serial resistor should not affect the treble response much, its only significant frequency response effect would be about 1 dB bass boost, which some may perceive as less treble due to the darker overall balance. The above is based on this impedance graph. In fact, higher output impedance often results in more treble, since headphone impedance tends to increase in the treble range, but this is often outweighed perceptually by the increase in bass.

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #1,887 of 10,994

Hi guys, I registered today as I have finally ordered a set of T1 cans directly from Beyerdynamic. I expect it to take a while due to customs and due to the very inconvenient location I reside at.

As I knew I was going to order the T1 cans, I recently got the Beyerdynamic A1 amp which have got great reviews here on Head-Fi. My current source is an RME Fireface UFX connected USB to a laptop. As for now I only have a pair of old Sony MD-CD780 cans.

I hear a huge difference in quality, presence, resolution, depth etc from listening through my laptop computer as compared to through the UFX but frankly I do not hear much (if any) difference through the A1 amp as compared to the UFX built-in amps.

I guess my questions are:

- Can the RME Fireface UFX be considered a decent source and DAC?
- Am I likely to notice a substantial difference from the built-in amps on the UFX as compared to the A1 when I get my T1 cans?
- Am I likely to be dissapointed by the (lack of) difference between my Sony MD-CD780 and the T1 through this system?

I am so excited I can not even begin to describe it.

By the way I absolutely love this forum despite the fact that it is already starting to rip my wallet to shreds :p

Jan 17, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #1,888 of 10,994
Looks like it's going to be quite a while until I have a DAC again for my T1. Ugh. No DAC is killing me. I haven't even used the T1 since I sent the M-Stage away because I'm afraid of what the T1 will sound like going from iPhone or laptop line out > SPL Auditor > T1. D:

I sent Music Direct a question regarding my order, and this is what they said:
Thank you for your order with Music Direct. We have spoken to Musical Fidelity regarding the MUSICAL FIDELITY - M1DAC A DIGITAL CONVERTER who has informed us that there have been some additional delays. They hope to receive it in their warehouse in about 2 weeks and will ship to us as soon as possible. We will ship to you the same day we receive it. Thank you for your patience. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Jan 17, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #1,889 of 10,994
Hey all....

Found this thread and am looking forward to reading through it. I had placed an order for a new Meier Corda Jazz amp, and then Herr Meier told me about the combo he offers with the T1s. He's very  high on this pairing, and given his reputation around these parts I have no problem taking his advice. So I'll be spending more on phones than I expected, as I was pretty set on the DT880/600s, but needless to say I'm very psyched about moving up to the T1s. I hope to complete the order in the next 2-3 weeks, so I'm looking forward to enjoying the same quality of music that many of you are with your T1s!

Focker Out

Jan 17, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #1,890 of 10,994
Maybe have Music Direct cancel the order as Audio Advisor has it in stock. You'd probably have it early next week doing it this way.

Quote:
Looks like it's going to be quite a while until I have a DAC again for my T1. Ugh. No DAC is killing me. I haven't even used the T1 since I sent the M-Stage away because I'm afraid of what the T1 will sound like going from iPhone or laptop line out > SPL Auditor > T1. D:

I sent Music Direct a question regarding my order, and this is what they said:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back