The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 13, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #1,846 of 10,994

Have you had a pair in your hands?  They look and feel very high-end in person, much more than the T1 or LCD2...

Quote:
Honestly, HD800 look like a fischer price thing and not a $1400 can. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #1,847 of 10,994
I actually like the way the T-1 looks the best out of the three cans. The T-1 looks like a luxurious version of the DT-880. The HD800 looks a little too futuristic for me and the LCD-2 looks horrible to me because of the black grills. However, I buy headphones for sound and am considering the LCD-2 since it seems much easier to pair with an amp. I am more concerned about the comfort of the LCD-2 coming from a DT-880.

Jan 13, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #1,848 of 10,994

Quote:
personally i think the lcd look horrendous.  have you looked in the mirror with them on? aesthetics do matter to me. so does comfort, thats why i sold them off.  i then went with the hd800 and really liked them but the t1 is a better all arounder.  i think the t1 looks classy. it doesnt need to be innovative or provocative.  if you line them up with the lower models, you really cant tell which is the top of the line?  that said , i think the d7000 are just beautiful. 

I very much agree, but my post was in reference to why the T1's had not sold as well as some other similar cans. I'm certain part of it, like my post suggested, is due to it's conservative design.

You look at the cans which aren't selling as well (though still doing very well I might add), the T1 and HE-500, both being sonically comparable to the best, and then look at the one's that are selling more, the HD800 and LCD-2....what they both have in common is radical aesthetic design. Same thing with Beats by Dre headphones. What spurred the mass consumerist frenzy and sales was less in the actual sonic properties of the cans, and more to do with branding, style, aesthetic and fashion. They became an icon mainly for their arresting visual style and brand. The LCD-2 and HD800 are a similar thing, only further up the audiophile chain.

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #1,849 of 10,994
Responses to a couple things posted over the past few days:

1. The T1 sounds exceptional from the Liquid Fire. They're a bit more dynamic and edgy and slightly less stereotypically "tube-like" from the LF when compared to, say, the WA2 w/5998 drivers. But the differences are not night and day -- they're still the T1.

2. For me, the T1's soundstage is "just exactly perfect," as Bob Weir would say. They're not closed in like the LCD-2, nor is the soundstage artificially extended beyond what the recording suggests (as I found with the HD800). For me, the T1 and HE-6 are tied for "just exactly perfect" soundstage, with the LCD-3 a half-step behind and the LCD-2 and HD800 tied for third place (but for different reasons, as above).

3. What is the source for the sales figures being discussed here? I know the T1 are not as popular as the HD800, but I'd be shocked if the T1 hasn't sold at least twice as many units as the LCD-2. As for speculation about why the T1's sales are "disappointing" -- well, it's just that, speculation. I happen to like the T1's retro styling, and I know just as many users who are turned off by the styling of the HD800 and LCD-2 as would purchase it for the "cool" design factor.

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #1,850 of 10,994
The audition stage is potentially where the T1 loses some customers. Their prowess lies in their tonal balance and all around ability which is not always apparent after a short audition. In the comparison the LCD2 has the bass which makes an impact straight away. The HD800s serve the same purpose and provide it with that immediate "wow" factor.

Quote:
This is very true, one of the reasons I almost didn't go with a T1, and was about to choose between with either the LCD-2/HD800, was not only design but also they had these wow features they excelled at, LCD-2: Bass, HD800: Detail, Imaging, Soundstage. But after spending time with the T1, I think it was the best choice, good amount of bass impact (and goes deep), and energetic treble, so it gives it this fun/musical sound yet staying quite neutral. The design is timeless, and the build quality is superb.

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #1,851 of 10,994

After having some 15 mm thick Polyurethane foam under the headband
they sound much better.Before the headband started pressing on the head after 6-7 hours usage.
now i can have them for 16 hours without problem.
measure 15*300*50 mm  .Press middle section hard before mounting.

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #1,852 of 10,994

Quote:
The audition stage is potentially where the T1 loses some customers. Their prowess lies in their tonal balance and all around ability which is not always apparent after a short audition. In the comparison the LCD2 has the bass which makes an impact straight away. The HD800s serve the same purpose and provide it with that immediate "wow" factor.

I can see that, but I loved mine when I first listened. The unfortunate thing is that my hearing has seemingly improved since getting them. Because now I can hear sibilance more on ANY pair of headphones or speakers I use. Almost like my hearing range has improved. It's strange. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #1,854 of 10,994

Quote:
I can see that, but I loved mine when I first listened. The unfortunate thing is that my hearing has seemingly improved since getting them. Because now I can hear sibilance more on ANY pair of headphones or speakers I use. Almost like my hearing range has improved. It's strange. 

Are you listening at louder levels? 

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #1,855 of 10,994
No. Not at all. I never listen at extremely loud levels. With my in ears I only go to 3 or 4 ticks out of 16 at most on my iPhone. On the SPL auditor with the T1 I rarely go past 9 o clock. My hearing has just changed a bit, it seems. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #1,856 of 10,994

Quote:
 My hearing has just changed a bit, it seems. 

[size=10pt]More susceptible to higher frequencies, unlikely.  More probable that you are simply listening more critically or other variables are at play.  The recorded material itself (sibilance will only be present with certain recordings/tracks, it is the degree to which your equipment reveals it), your source or amp.  You have recently purchased the Auditor, maybe it is brighter than your previous amp?  Volume at 9 o'clock, does the Auditor have a gain switch?  If it does, reduced the gain, more volume control obviously and according to the "experts" slight improvement in sound quality.[/size]

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #1,857 of 10,994

Quote:

[size=10pt]More susceptible to higher frequencies, unlikely.  More probable that you are simply listening more critically or other variables are at play.  The recorded material itself (sibilance will only be present with certain recordings/tracks, it is the degree to which your equipment reveals it), your source or amp.  You have recently purchased the Auditor, maybe it is brighter than your previous amp?[/size]

Perhaps listening more critically. The sibilance is there in the recordings, for sure. It's just something I rarely noticed on ANY of my equipment prior to getting the T1. But it's not the T1 causing it. Now that I hear it, I hear it on all equipment I use. Be it a hifi T1 or 2 dollar ear buds. The Auditor certainly has far more extension at both ends of the spectrum than my old M-Stage, but that is certainly not the reason for this change.

I noticed it as soon as I got the T1. I very rarely noticed sibilance on the Q701 UNTIL I got the T1. Once I listened with the T1 and heard all the sibilance i could not unhear it, haha. Then I heard it on the Q701 too. And on EVERYTHING I've tried. 

So you definitely could be right about me listening more critically. I can certainly see that the sibilance is there on the foobar spectrum. It's just interesting to me that it is something I rarely noticed before.

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #1,858 of 10,994

Quote:
Perhaps listening more critically. The sibilance is there in the recordings, for sure. It's just something I rarely noticed on ANY of my equipment prior to getting the T1. But it's not the T1 causing it. Now I hear it I hear it on all equipment I've tried. Be it a hifi T1 or 2 dollar ear buds. The Auditor certainly has far more extension at both ends of the spectrum than my old M-Stage, but that is certainly not the reason for this change.

I noticed it as soon as I got the T1. I very rarely noticed sibilance on the Q701 UNTIL I got the T1. Once I listened with the T1 and heard all the sibilance i could not unhear it, haha. Then I heard it on the Q701 too. And on EVERYTHING I've tried. 

So you definitely could be right about me listening more critically. I can certainly see that the sibilance is there on the foobar spectrum. It's just interesting to me that it is something I rarely noticed before.

I try to stay with good recording because of the transparency of the T1 it will let you know when it was recorded poorly. its not just today recordings that are poor its most recordings unless that artist really cares about how their album sounds

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #1,859 of 10,994
The first time I heard Paradie by Coldplay on the T1s I wanted to rip my ears off it sounded so horrendous.

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #1,860 of 10,994

Quote:
The first time I heard Paradie by Coldplay on the T1s I wanted to rip my ears off it sounded so horrendous.

thats why I now try to  listen to the tracks on amazon not a great example but I can tell usually if its crap and compressed recordings. Like Florence and the Machine and Black Keys  and others I wont buy because they will hurt my ears. problem with good gear is you can hear everything and if your not into the hobby most kids today listen to crap and dont seem to care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back