The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 3, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #1,636 of 10,994

Quote:

lol then all is good! 

hmm this is interesting.  could be my cheap source and i kind of always thought it was because its not the csp2 or the t1/hd650.  either that or maybe some settings in foobar are wrong.  i am using optical. 

The reason I went back to one box because of the jitter I had heard in all dac's because of cables when I had a two piece system. I had used coaxial but the reports of jitter being present in all cable connections is something to explore. I hear none of whats been reported on my CD players. I know USB has been a big issue as well as timing errors in all cable connections while being reduced is still evident in most cable solutions. Could be that is what you are experiencing.

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #1,637 of 10,994

Quote:
The reason I went back to one box because of the jitter I had heard in all dac's because of cables when I had a two piece system. I had used coaxial but the reports of jitter being present in all cable connections is something to explore. I hear none of whats been reported on my CD players. I know USB has been a big issue as well as timing errors in all cable connections while being reduced is still evident in most cable solutions. Could be that is what you are experiencing.

It's there when I run my desktop speakers straight from my laptop's headphone out.

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #1,638 of 10,994

Quote:
It's there when I run my desktop speakers straight from my laptop's headphone out.

It could be your sound card also but I admit I am not versed on PC music so the SACD I have has zero distortion and I have no issues with her other recordings but thats me in my system and I will leave those disc out at the Jan mini meet to see if anyone experiences distortion as we will have many systems here. I Like I said I have not used individual stand alone dacs in years and I really do not use any PC systems yet so for me Iam not as well versed in using pC or laptops for music.

Dec 5, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #1,641 of 10,994
I am overhauling my cd collection with either Shm-SACD or SHM for that very reason.I was shocked at how lousy the Amy Winehouse "Back to Black" domestic cd sounded.I have pretty much gone exclusively Japanese in my purchases of music

Quote:
X2 just shows you it a headfi thing. Complain Complain and Complain
L3000.gif

Quote:
It should do fine powering the T1s and do a good job.

But, with these new flagships, its really about building a system around them...source/dac/amp/cables, etc... for them to really shine.

Quote:
I re-ripped them a few times before I realized that the problem was in the CD.

You and I might quibble about cables, but I agree with you about Norah Jones... I really like Norah Jones too.

Some of the same songs are in the movie sound track of "Love Actually" and they sound great there.

Quote:
If you have a decent source and don't use EQ then 95% of the time any distortion/clipping is coming from the recording itself. Its depressingly prevalent these days.

Dec 12, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #1,642 of 10,994
Never been sharing my impressions on this forum since now, but let's start...

To begin with, let's go back in time... 'till 1979... when my mom (can you believe that ?) bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-440 600 Ohms (I guess the 250 Ohms ones weren't existing at that time) for listening to her recorded sophrology classes, along with a Marantz tape player/recorder and a HiFi microphone...
My father never admitted it, but I s'ppose he was part of these choices, whatever he saws now ^^
After six months of duty, the headphones went back in the box, and the box in a closet...
At that time, my father was more likely using vinyl and a monaural tube amp (hard to remember which ones exactly, I hardly remember them working).

Going further in time, here I come :)
In the late 1990s I rediscover those headphones in the dust of a closet, and also the Marantz player. As I didn't already have a computer, I used them for music listening with those good old Philips tapes... Even if the lather for the ears had disappeared long ago, they were usable... and enjoyable, but the comfort wasn't quite good :frowning2:

As a student, I had'nt much cash to spend on music, so with my first computer I began downloading mp3s and all the **** we could find on the net in the 2000s... I even ripped original CDs in mp3 (argh)...
Then... slowly... I began to discover the obscure world of lossless audio (it came along with the increasing HDD capacities... remember your 20 Gb Maxtor were Windows occupied 10% of the available space ? lol)...
On the source side, I began with a Philips Acoustic Edge 501 (?), which was a decent AC97 soundcard, offering digital in and out coaxial ! (used the digital in for TV on my computer with my Freebox V2, you need to be French to understand).

Without having a clue if it would work, I one day plugged my DT-440 on the line-out. As strange as it sounds, the soundcard was able to drive it correctly with modern pop-rock CDs. For classical music it wasn't that good, as it lacked some decent amplification...
I could then rediscover all my music... what a pleasure...

As I already had put an ear or two in HiFi the infernal cycle began... I upgraded my soundcard as soon as my financials could support it, and my choice went on an Onkyo SE-150 (seemed pretty decent back then)...
Another experience began : listening classical music was then comfortable, and all what I had listened to before sounded new to me (there were cymbals in the background there ? I don't remember hearing the singer breathing, etc.).

But can an audiophile newbie stop there ? Impossible, once you get in you only get out when you're deaf... and even in that case i'm not quite sure about it. ^^
So I went on... and decided I needed new headphones.
I stuck with Beyer, after reading dozens of pages on Head-Fi, and here came my DT-880 600 Ohms at the end of 2008.
Again, event though I already had some good improvements, a new world of listening opened to me... More stereo, more bass, more clarity, raaah lovely (again you need to be French, Gotlib inside).

Now having a decent salary, I could make the next move : buying an headphone amp to plug after my Onkyo soundcard (speaking of wich, she became an SE-200, before it went radioactive in Japan, I think I liked the caps on the photos at the time... don't take me wrong, it's a great musical sound card with bit-perfect but no HDCP support :'( )
We were in 2009, and long before it resurfaced in the HiFi world, I chose the A1, again from Beyer... and again after reading Head-Fi, but not only, 'cause it was hard to find some decent reviews about it back then... I liked the headphones sound, why wouldn't I like the amp afterall ? (stupid idea I guess, I could have :) )

At last listening to classical music was comfortable... and the bass improvement also non-neglectible... and the better resolution in some songs... it took a bit of time for the DT-880 to burn in, but after that time, I never regretted buying all these components.

And there we were, in autumn 2011... it was time to buy something useless I didn't really need... a pair of Beyer T1 :))))
I had the cash (approximately the same amount that I throw away with the A1), the desire, the hope it will sound better, I spoke some bits of German... I was ready to burn out my credit card !
I gave up reading all that had been said on Head-Fi (page 110, but if you cut the useless comments, we could go down to... hum... maybe 30 pages ? Already too long if it's not raining during a month). After a small hesitation with the HD800 from Sennheiser (just writing that for the fun), I made the mistake of choosing DHL standard for the delivery.

For the price, Beyer support is following the tracking for you, and I was quite confident at the beginning with the two weeks delay.
But suddenly... all went wrong... Beyer told me they needed the entry code (why the hell the delevery boy didn't asked the caretaker ? Guess he never really entered the backyard), which I gave them feverishly...
And then... nothing... when I asked Beyer for the tracking number some days later, I discovered it wasn't DHL, but DPD (pronounced in French it's as if you where saying "a bunch of faggots"), and the smart deliverey boy hadn't found anyone at home the second time, even if I had told to give the package to the caretaker :'(

But as in all uncle Walt stories there's an happy ending... and if it wasn't the case I guess I wouldn't be writing all this :)
Tonight, I'm proud of announcing it... I finally received my T1s !!!
Let's pass on the metal box, completely useless and ugly, but it's a good protection during transport...
Let's also not talk about the small notice on how Beyer began manufacturing in 1924 and blahhhh... not even in color... for the price I would have expected something more interesting about their Tesla technology (we are far away from the Sony HiFi brochures of the 1970s)...

Then... the T1s... really comfortable... and I must say far better than the DT880... but harder to position on your head, especially with the inclination of the drivers.
Classy design, but I don't give a ****, I rarely look at myself in the mirror when listening to music :)
The first minutes were quite disappointing... an expanded stereo image compared to the DT880s... a bit more bassy... but nothing exceptionnal... was I another fool having trashed his money on a chimera ?

Then I realised the volume was a bit low :xf_eek:)
Old habits from the DT880... BTW it seems completely wrong thinking these T1s are more esay to drive because of the Tesla thingy as I've read it somewhere... you clearly need to push a bit more the volume... and it's a joy to do that as it's so good hearing the music with them...
How to sum it ? Impossible... almost another world (don't take me wrong, DT880 were great, but now I can't imagine putting them back on my head... don't event want to compare...).

First, the increased space between your ears and the drivers is certainly part of the expanded stereo image.
Beyer has also thought about getting rid of the lather, which is quite a good thing... afterall it messes a lot with sound on the DT880.
After... more detailed instruments... classical music is exceptionnal with them (the Bach Suites played by Yoyoma are wonderful with all the details of the music from of the cello)... the bass are really, really good (Growing Up from Peter Gabriel, The Art of Noise or Black Eyed Peas, back in Black), and also very fast... hearing the drums is completely different...
The voices ? Ahhhh... a joy... really... The Consortium Vocale in 24bit 96kHz is simply gorgeous... I can even hear a little larsen at the end of the recording I never noticed before... to bad there are so few of these recordings at the present moment...
The rendering of movies OST like Batman (old and new one), the Planet of the Apes, le Roi et l'Oiseau, is superb... it's almost like if you were in front of the screen at the theater... the rendering of the bass part being what it is with headphones... you cannot go against physic laws...

It's quite simple... I put them on my head almost 3 hours ago and wasn't able to do anything else than trying to listen to all the music being stored on my computer... it's like a drug... and I know I'm pushing the volume to high... but it's so good to hear the music in this never like before way... currently listening to a piano-voice by William Sheller and it's terrific...
Dunno if you've ever been hearing a hang in the street, but it's almost the same than in reality with the T1s (of course you need a good recording)...
But if you're only listening to recent pop-rock CDs you can stick with your current headphones, the T1s will only emphasize all the defects of the bad mastering... on the contrary it glows with those pressed in the 80s... and surely with some SACD... but as they cannot be played on computers...

So... all this ******** to say I'm fully satisfied with what I'm hearing... another useless comment :xf_eek:)

NB : sorry for the poor English... but I'm French :xf_eek:)

Dec 12, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #1,643 of 10,994
sorry for the poor English... but I'm French :xf_eek:)

No need to apologize, your English is fine. Thanks a lot for sharing your story and your memories with us, it remindes me a lot of my own youth as I began to discover the joy of listening to music.

Currently I use and love a Beyerdynamic DT 990/600 Ω. The Beyerdynamic T1 I ordered recently shall arrive next week in my home. If you don’t mind I’ll return here and try to describe my first impressions after a few hours listening to my favorite songs.

Kind regards,

Werner.

Dec 12, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #1,644 of 10,994

Quote:
Never been sharing my impressions on this forum since now, but let's start...

To begin with, let's go back in time... 'till 1979... when my mom (can you believe that ?) bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-440 600 Ohms (I guess the 250 Ohms ones weren't existing at that time) for listening to her recorded sophrology classes, along with a Marantz tape player/recorder and a HiFi microphone...
My father never admitted it, but I s'ppose he was part of these choices, whatever he saws now ^^
After six months of duty, the headphones went back in the box, and the box in a closet...
At that time, my father was more likely using vinyl and a monaural tube amp (hard to remember which ones exactly, I hardly remember them working).

Going further in time, here I come :)
In the late 1990s I rediscover those headphones in the dust of a closet, and also the Marantz player. As I didn't already have a computer, I used them for music listening with those good old Philips tapes... Even if the lather for the ears had disappeared long ago, they were usable... and enjoyable, but the comfort wasn't quite good :frowning2:

As a student, I had'nt much cash to spend on music, so with my first computer I began downloading mp3s and all the **** we could find on the net in the 2000s... I even ripped original CDs in mp3 (argh)...
Then... slowly... I began to discover the obscure world of lossless audio (it came along with the increasing HDD capacities... remember your 20 Gb Maxtor were Windows occupied 10% of the available space ? lol)...
On the source side, I began with a Philips Acoustic Edge 501 (?), which was a decent AC97 soundcard, offering digital in and out coaxial ! (used the digital in for TV on my computer with my Freebox V2, you need to be French to understand).

Without having a clue if it would work, I one day plugged my DT-440 on the line-out. As strange as it sounds, the soundcard was able to drive it correctly with modern pop-rock CDs. For classical music it wasn't that good, as it lacked some decent amplification...
I could then rediscover all my music... what a pleasure...

As I already had put an ear or two in HiFi the infernal cycle began... I upgraded my soundcard as soon as my financials could support it, and my choice went on an Onkyo SE-150 (seemed pretty decent back then)...
Another experience began : listening classical music was then comfortable, and all what I had listened to before sounded new to me (there were cymbals in the background there ? I don't remember hearing the singer breathing, etc.).

But can an audiophile newbie stop there ? Impossible, once you get in you only get out when you're deaf... and even in that case i'm not quite sure about it. ^^
So I went on... and decided I needed new headphones.
I stuck with Beyer, after reading dozens of pages on Head-Fi, and here came my DT-880 600 Ohms at the end of 2008.
Again, event though I already had some good improvements, a new world of listening opened to me... More stereo, more bass, more clarity, raaah lovely (again you need to be French, Gotlib inside).

Now having a decent salary, I could make the next move : buying an headphone amp to plug after my Onkyo soundcard (speaking of wich, she became an SE-200, before it went radioactive in Japan, I think I liked the caps on the photos at the time... don't take me wrong, it's a great musical sound card with bit-perfect but no HDCP support :'( )
We were in 2009, and long before it resurfaced in the HiFi world, I chose the A1, again from Beyer... and again after reading Head-Fi, but not only, 'cause it was hard to find some decent reviews about it back then... I liked the headphones sound, why wouldn't I like the amp afterall ? (stupid idea I guess, I could have :) )

At last listening to classical music was comfortable... and the bass improvement also non-neglectible... and the better resolution in some songs... it took a bit of time for the DT-880 to burn in, but after that time, I never regretted buying all these components.

And there we were, in autumn 2011... it was time to buy something useless I didn't really need... a pair of Beyer T1 :))))
I had the cash (approximately the same amount that I throw away with the A1), the desire, the hope it will sound better, I spoke some bits of German... I was ready to burn out my credit card !
I gave up reading all that had been said on Head-Fi (page 110, but if you cut the useless comments, we could go down to... hum... maybe 30 pages ? Already too long if it's not raining during a month). After a small hesitation with the HD800 from Sennheiser (just writing that for the fun), I made the mistake of choosing DHL standard for the delivery.

For the price, Beyer support is following the tracking for you, and I was quite confident at the beginning with the two weeks delay.
But suddenly... all went wrong... Beyer told me they needed the entry code (why the hell the delevery boy didn't asked the caretaker ? Guess he never really entered the backyard), which I gave them feverishly...
And then... nothing... when I asked Beyer for the tracking number some days later, I discovered it wasn't DHL, but DPD (pronounced in French it's as if you where saying "a bunch of faggots"), and the smart deliverey boy hadn't found anyone at home the second time, even if I had told to give the package to the caretaker :'(

But as in all uncle Walt stories there's an happy ending... and if it wasn't the case I guess I wouldn't be writing all this :)
Tonight, I'm proud of announcing it... I finally received my T1s !!!
Let's pass on the metal box, completely useless and ugly, but it's a good protection during transport...
Let's also not talk about the small notice on how Beyer began manufacturing in 1924 and blahhhh... not even in color... for the price I would have expected something more interesting about their Tesla technology (we are far away from the Sony HiFi brochures of the 1970s)...

Then... the T1s... really comfortable... and I must say far better than the DT880... but harder to position on your head, especially with the inclination of the drivers.
Classy design, but I don't give a ****, I rarely look at myself in the mirror when listening to music :)
The first minutes were quite disappointing... an expanded stereo image compared to the DT880s... a bit more bassy... but nothing exceptionnal... was I another fool having trashed his money on a chimera ?

Then I realised the volume was a bit low :xf_eek:)
Old habits from the DT880... BTW it seems completely wrong thinking these T1s are more esay to drive because of the Tesla thingy as I've read it somewhere... you clearly need to push a bit more the volume... and it's a joy to do that as it's so good hearing the music with them...
How to sum it ? Impossible... almost another world (don't take me wrong, DT880 were great, but now I can't imagine putting them back on my head... don't event want to compare...).

First, the increased space between your ears and the drivers is certainly part of the expanded stereo image.
Beyer has also thought about getting rid of the lather, which is quite a good thing... afterall it messes a lot with sound on the DT880.
After... more detailed instruments... classical music is exceptionnal with them (the Bach Suites played by Yoyoma are wonderful with all the details of the music from of the cello)... the bass are really, really good (Growing Up from Peter Gabriel, The Art of Noise or Black Eyed Peas, back in Black), and also very fast... hearing the drums is completely different...
The voices ? Ahhhh... a joy... really... The Consortium Vocale in 24bit 96kHz is simply gorgeous... I can even hear a little larsen at the end of the recording I never noticed before... to bad there are so few of these recordings at the present moment...
The rendering of movies OST like Batman (old and new one), the Planet of the Apes, le Roi et l'Oiseau, is superb... it's almost like if you were in front of the screen at the theater... the rendering of the bass part being what it is with headphones... you cannot go against physic laws...

It's quite simple... I put them on my head almost 3 hours ago and wasn't able to do anything else than trying to listen to all the music being stored on my computer... it's like a drug... and I know I'm pushing the volume to high... but it's so good to hear the music in this never like before way... currently listening to a piano-voice by William Sheller and it's terrific...
Dunno if you've ever been hearing a hang in the street, but it's almost the same than in reality with the T1s (of course you need a good recording)...
But if you're only listening to recent pop-rock CDs you can stick with your current headphones, the T1s will only emphasize all the defects of the bad mastering... on the contrary it glows with those pressed in the 80s... and surely with some SACD... but as they cannot be played on computers...

So... all this ******** to say I'm fully satisfied with what I'm hearing... another useless comment :xf_eek:)

NB : sorry for the poor English... but I'm French :xf_eek:)

your english is fine. and very very nice story. definitely enjoyed reading it! 

can't wait to get my T1s for new years 
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #1,647 of 10,994
Yeah, only slightly though. Pretty sure it was straight when I got it so its probably my fault. My amp is below my seating level so thats probably what caused it. Didn't happen to my other cans though.

Dec 12, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #1,648 of 10,994

Quote:
Yeah, only slightly though. Pretty sure it was straight when I got it so its probably my fault. My amp is below my seating level so thats probably what caused it. Didn't happen to my other cans though.

Even if your amp is below seating level, the cable is long enough so that there shouldn't be any force on the tip when it's plugged into the amp.  Something extraordinary must've happened to bend a metal plug of that diameter.

Are you sure it didn't come bent and you just didn't notice due to excitement of having the T1s?

Dec 12, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #1,649 of 10,994
Honestly I don't know but I usually notice these things. Its too late now to know either way. 

Quote:
Even if your amp is below seating level, the cable is long enough so that there shouldn't be any force on the tip when it's plugged into the amp.  Something extraordinary must've happened to bend a metal plug of that diameter.

Are you sure it didn't come bent and you just didn't notice due to excitement of having the T1s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back