The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 13, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #1,531 of 10,994
i decided, i will get the t1/wa2 combo next month :)

Nov 13, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #1,533 of 10,994

Quote:
i decided, i will get the t1/wa2 combo next month :)

had the setup. its awesome but i remember just browsing the forum that you recently got your current setup.  i went through a ton of gear so fast not really taking time to appreciate what i had. i was reading these forums so much that i wanted what everyone else was talking about.  the wa2/t1 is great but im sure the 6se + whatever u have is equally awesome.  if you are fortunate enough to be able to keep everything thats awesome but i had to sell to buy.  either way. youll have a great setup! congrats.

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #1,535 of 10,994

Quote:
Joelpearce

"and I'm sure you'll like this quote:

"By the way the DT 48 E drivers are very similar to the T 1 drivers. Both drivers have a ring magnet, the big difference though is the material: DT 48 E is ferrite and T1 is neodymium..."

you can guess who told me 
color]
"

So the DT48 has ferrite drivers and the T1 has angled neodymium drivers, but they both have a ring magnet (albeit totally different magnetic flux density), yep practically twins.

FIRST OF ITS KIND
After years of research, our engineers have managed to develop a revolutionary sound converter, a milestone in headphone design. Our new T1 headphone is the first model to break through the one-tesla barrier of magnetic induction. (The unit for measuring magnetic flux density is named the tesla, in honor of one of the world’s greatest visionaries and inventors in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. When Nicola Tesla, a contemporary of Eugen Beyer, died in New York in 1943 at the age of eighty-six, he had filed well over 100 patents.) Measured in tesla (T), magnetic induction plays a central role in the development of headphones. It indicates the ability of a sound converter to transform an electrical audio signal into sound waves and thus convert electricity into sound. Featuring twice the sound pressure of standard headphones, a highly effective, innovative driver in the T1 makes it possible to produce high- performance headphones using minimal moving mass in a 600-ohm coil. This system generates currently unequalled impulse performance. (A converter behaves like a vehicle in this respect. The lower the weight and the higher the performance, the greater the acceleration.) The T1 is the first model in a new generation of headphones.

you can guess who told me
beyersmile.png

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #1,536 of 10,994

Quote:
had the setup. its awesome but i remember just browsing the forum that you recently got your current setup.  i went through a ton of gear so fast not really taking time to appreciate what i had. i was reading these forums so much that i wanted what everyone else was talking about.  the wa2/t1 is great but im sure the 6se + whatever u have is equally awesome.  if you are fortunate enough to be able to keep everything thats awesome but i had to sell to buy.  either way. youll have a great setup! congrats.

thanks!

yeah if the WA2 ends up being too expensive for me, ill just get a T1/LCD-2 for my WA6SE.

i really want the WA2, but i don't know how expensive all the tubes will be. its like 6 tubes compared to 3 for the WA6se, the WA2 also has more expensive tubes (every1 says i have to buy tungsol 5998s)

Nov 13, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #1,537 of 10,994

Quote:
thanks!

yeah if the WA2 ends up being too expensive for me, ill just get a T1/LCD-2 for my WA6SE.

i really want the WA2, but i don't know how expensive all the tubes will be. its like 6 tubes compared to 3 for the WA6se, the WA2 also has more expensive tubes (every1 says i have to buy tungsol 5998s)

Tubes are only as expensive as you want them to be. 
wink.gif

If I were buying a WA2 new from Jack, I'd buy his upgraded Sylvania 7236s and skip the 5998. I'd then buy a pair of nice 6922s (the Mullard Heerlen Holland-made 6922s from the 60s are nice and are usually reasonably priced). I'd stick with the stock rectifiers that come with the amp (assuming Jack is still shipping them with the underrated Ei EZ80s from Yugoslavia), since IMO the rectifiers make far less of a difference than the power and preamp tubes. And bam! A brand new WA2 with $250 in upgraded tubes that will make the T1 sing!

But that's just me.

Nov 13, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #1,538 of 10,994

Quote:
Tubes are only as expensive as you want them to be. 
wink.gif

If I were buying a WA2 new from Jack, I'd buy his upgraded Sylvania 7236s and skip the 5998. I'd then buy a pair of nice 6922s (the Mullard Heerlen Holland-made 6922s from the 60s are nice and are usually reasonably priced). I'd stick with the stock rectifiers that come with the amp (assuming Jack is still shipping them with the underrated Ei EZ80s from Yugoslavia), since IMO the rectifiers make far less of a difference than the power and preamp tubes. And bam! A brand new WA2 with $250 in upgraded tubes that will make the T1 sing!

But that's just me.

listen to this. good advice. ive heard good things about the 5998 though. never personally had the chance to hear them.

Nov 13, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #1,539 of 10,994

Quote:

listen to this. good advice. ive heard good things about the 5998 though. never personally had the chance to hear them.

I have a pair of Western Electric 421a tubes, which have been confirmed by knowledgeable members here to be identical to the Tung-Sol 5998s. I like them a great deal, but I find the 7236s (either TS or Sylvania) to have just a touch more top-end sparkle. With the already warm sound signature of the WA2, I find myself enjoying the 7236s more often for the synergy they provide.

I certainly wouldn't run away from 5998s if you can find them, but I wouldn't make finding them my first priority, either.

Nov 13, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #1,540 of 10,994
Tubes are only as expensive as you want them to be.  If I were buying a WA2 new from Jack, I'd buy his upgraded Sylvania 7236s and skip the 5998. I'd then buy a pair of nice 6922s (the Mullard Heerlen Holland-made 6922s from the 60s are nice and are usually reasonably priced). I'd stick with the stock rectifiers that come with the amp (assuming Jack is still shipping them with the underrated Ei EZ80s from Yugoslavia), since IMO the rectifiers make far less of a difference than the power and preamp tubes. And bam! A brand new WA2 with $250 in upgraded tubes that will make the T1 sing!

But that's just me.

I love this kind of post. Full of common sense. Lacking the hype and flavour of the week mania that drives so many threads in this place.

Cheers!

Nov 13, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #1,541 of 10,994
The 5998 is like a warmer sounding 7236 but does not have the same amping factor as the 7236 (if that's what you call it). It's a darned nice tube and plenty powerful.

Quote:

Nov 14, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #1,542 of 10,994
It's been a while since I've listened to a T1. Over a year, probably.

A friend of mine brought his over the other night, and I must say, I had forgotten just how enjoyable these headphones are. Nothing in particular stood out, but everything felt in-place and just... right.

I prefer the T1 to my "r.1" LCD-2 for sure.

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #1,543 of 10,994
thanks guys, trying to remember most of this for next month 
biggrin.gif

im not the brightest when it comes to tubes.

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #1,544 of 10,994

Quote:
It's been a while since I've listened to a T1. Over a year, probably.

A friend of mine brought his over the other night, and I must say, I had forgotten just how enjoyable these headphones are. Nothing in particular stood out, but everything felt in-place and just... right.

I prefer the T1 to my "r.1" LCD-2 for sure.

Muppetface:

I remember some time ago you were the first Head-fier to post impressions of the Pro 2900, which is my latest headphone and I love it. How would you compare it to the T1?

-Daniel

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #1,545 of 10,994

Quote:
Muppetface:

I remember some time ago you were the first Head-fier to post impressions of the Pro 2900, which is my latest headphone and I love it. How would you compare it to the T1?

-Daniel

Yeah, I bought the PRO 2900 a while back as a gift for my S.O., and I get to borrow them if I want (though I haven't in a while). Unfortunately I'm only going on memory for both of them, so take this with a grain of salt, but I'd say that compared to the PRO 2900 the T1's biggest advantage is a lack of sibilance that kind of bothered me with the Ultrasones. I'm not sure how much of that goes away with burn in, so maybe yours are less harsh than I remember them being. Overall though, the highs on the T1 really outclass anything I've heard on the PRO line. The bass is a little harder to say for me, but the PRO 2900 seems to have more quantity and impact. The T1 is definitely closer to neutral overall.

Unfortunately I can't really remember enough about anything else on the PRO 2900 to give you worthwhile information. Especially with regard to the soundstage, s-logic, etc. Sorry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back