The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Dec 11, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #271 of 23,677
Once ADEL get air pressure, ADEL membrane expands. Once the membrane expand, it lets air pressure go through outside.

Right, the ADEL membrane it is a perfect material in that it allows pressure to escape and prevents the stapedius reflex. A vent is nothing new, we've had vented IEMs for a long time. The ADEL membrane is not the same old mesh vent technology we're accustomed to, it becomes a second eardrum.

Dec 11, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #272 of 23,677
@WCDchee

Douglas - I didn't want to take this off topic any further - so I posted Stephen's reply in their own thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/800882/adel-technology-discussion-thread-update-march-27-2016-please-read-2nd-post-of-the-thread/270#post_13080513

This should help assist everyone's understanding of the tech. Crinacle's description was actually really good.  It is indeed semi-open in that it captures the best of both systems (open and closed).

If you do want any more direct information about ADEL in comparison with APEX - I am more than happy to get the exact differences to you directly from Stephen.  As the founder of the technology - he has more understanding than anyone of what the modules will do, and their limitations.

Dec 11, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #273 of 23,677
@WCDchee

Douglas - I didn't want to take this off topic any further - so I posted Stephen's reply in their own thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/800882/adel-technology-discussion-thread-update-march-27-2016-please-read-2nd-post-of-the-thread/270#post_13080513

This should help assist everyone's understanding of the tech. Crinacle's description was actually really good.  It is indeed semi-open in that it captures the best of both systems (open and closed).

If you do want any more direct information about ADEL in comparison with APEX - I am more than happy to get the exact differences to you directly from Stephen.  As the founder of the technology - he has more understanding than anyone of what the modules will do, and their limitations.

Thank you Paul, I expected no less from you :)

I'll hit you up if there's anything. Cheers! :)

Dec 11, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #274 of 23,677
Seriously though, as long as it sounds good and is beneficial to ears, I'm good

Dec 24, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #275 of 23,677
It is closed.

The membrane closes the system. When pressure builds up in the ear canal, the membrane can bulge outwards. To absorb this pressure. There has to be a vent to allow the membrane to move. However, the system is closed by the membrane which has a limit to how much it stretches.

For most intents and purposes though, this is far more than enough to absorb changes in the ear canal.

As seen in this photo, anything medial (on the side of the ear canal) to the membrane is a closed system sealed off by the membrane.

The video presentation on the ADEL website too states very clearly that the system is still sealed. And this concept of a closed system is explained at 13.30.

The ADEL and APEX systems are as you previously pointed out, two very different systems which aim to relieve pressure. The ADEL does this by sealing with a compliant membrane that can absorb some pressures while the APEX does this by allowing airflow, both of which are very clever ways to achieve this.

There's no such thing as a "membrane that absorbs pressure". It either vibrates or it is porous, or a combination of both.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #279 of 23,677
Is anyone else seriously close to upgrading like me?  I paid $1000 for my U12 and would love to get custom TOTL for $1400 more.  

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #280 of 23,677
  Is anyone else seriously close to upgrading like me?  I paid $1000 for my U12 and would love to get custom TOTL for $1400 more.  

Nope. Not giving up on ADEL. I have perfect hearing and would like to keep it that way.

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #281 of 23,677
Nope. Not giving up on ADEL. I have perfect hearing and would like to keep it that way.

This is the same reason I did not jump on the A18 promo upgrade. I just wish 64audio had maintained the size of the module which will take both ADEL modules and APEX modules. But such is life I supposed. :grinning:

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #282 of 23,677

Curious on their Fourte, but will wait for a custom version and demo units first.

Dec 29, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #283 of 23,677

Without going into the ADEL vs APEX, if you love the sound the A12 gives you, the A18 might not be your cup of tea. The Fourte on the other hand (it doesn't come in custom form), might suit you better and if money isn't an issue, purely on the sound quality, I would upgrade. For the 18 though, give the A10 a try to have an idea of what the 18 sounds like.

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #285 of 23,677
I placed my order to upgrade from U12 to A18.  Can't wait until February now.

I went back and forth between carbon face with 64 audio logo and gold. I wish the gold could have included the 64 Audio logo.  I ordered gold plated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back