The "noob's" review on the Sony MDR-EX500's
Apr 11, 2010 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Totally Dubbed

aka 1337 Gamer
aka totallydubbed2
aka TotallydubbedHD

Video review

Written Review

First off, i am no expert neither do i have much experience.
But that's what i like when i read reviews. Not technical information i don't understand, but easy accessible information from others.

This review will explain what the earphones are about, and what makes them stand out in comparison to their competitors.
Alongside this, I will publish some photos, for you, the customer, like myself to see and get a bigger/better picture of what you are in fact buying.

First off, I would like to say, that I am quite keen on music.
I listen to mainly R'n'B music, with the accompany of Dance and some classic guitar songs, such as some Santana.

I will explain the basics of what makes these earphones (genetically) better than the rest.
I have to admit when I bought these I had to ask some good friends and look online to find out what a diaphragm was. (I never took Biology seriously anyway...:p)
It basically is the coil inside your speaker that produces the waves which are the sounds that come to your ears.
Therefore the Multi Layer Diaphragm means that there are 2 coils operating at the same time.

Now you might ask yourself: But how do these help my hearing?
Basically, 2 is always better than 1, and therefore this means your earphones will produce different sounds at different given times.
Thus in conclusion they give you different sounds at once.
A good example of this would be when listening to guitar music, when you hear the guitar, the bass, and the vocals all in one sound wave.
Whereas normal earphones under £20 would jumble these sounds together, these earphones differentiate the sounds and give you an altogether better experience.

Now enough about the facts, and explanations.
Now I will give my personal input/experience with these earphones:

-The shape/form:
They are odd, in comparison to normal earphones, like the Sennheisers, but these earphones work in a way that they diagonally go into your ear.
Although it says: “vertically positioned in-the-ear”, vertical gives off the wrong impression.
The comfort of these earphones are lovely, you hardly feel them and they aren’t heavy on the ears.
I listen to a lot of music, at any given moment in the day and I will try to put my earphones on whenever I can.
Hopefully the picture should demonstrate what I mean.

-Cord:
If you, like me, find the "one being longer than the other" useless, bulky and annoying...Then you will find the same thing here...
Unfortunately I have never been a fan of the 1 cord being longer than the other.
It's like all earphones out there at the moment, so I can’t really criticise Sony for doing that.
More so, the quality of the wire is excellent (Although they did give way after 1 year of use), unlike Sennheiser’s ones.

Overall, for the price you are paying, I think these are the best earphones you can get for under £50.
I paid £40, and my friend that I recommended it to, paid only £35 (before the slump in the economy).
I love them, and the only few things that were a let-down were:

-The silicon ear buds.
If these were made out of foam, I think they would have been better.
Using Comply’s T-400 or the tx-400’s increase the sound quality (in my opinion) and the comfort.
By comfort i mean that it doesn’t fall off whilst you run, or sweat.

-There is leakage when you listen to these earphones.
Therefore, when you are listening to something, other people will be able to hear it a little.
To be honest, who cares, as long as you are listening to the earphones who cares what others can hear
tongue.gif

-Bit harsh on the treble at first, but your ears learn to love them.
Thus burn-in time i think is almost crucial for the full aluminium goodness of the Ex500's

A final note from me, I realised that turning the EQ off on both the songs and the iPod is much better, than adjusting it.
I found that the sound quality seems distorted and sounds very harsh on these earphones.
They don’t need any help to be outstanding!

I hope that helped, alongside my pictures too
(See the attachments, if you will. Photos were taken over a year ago, so excuse the acne
biggrin.gif
)

Your reviewer,
Totally Dubbed

Attachments cover the:
-Positioning
-Size
-Content that is included alongside the earphones
-Buds provided
-Looks

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 51
Thanks for the review and yes, I love chicken!
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 51
@totally dubbed, nice review , souds like you enjoy them, so i still say send back the ie8 and get the sony ex700 and be happy that you have a new better iem and have saved some money to boot
wink_face.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucozade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@totally dubbed, nice review , souds like you enjoy them, so i still say send back the ie8 and get the sony ex700 and be happy that you have a new better iem and have saved some money to boot
wink_face.gif

was thinking of that, but yet again many mdr-ex700 fakes out there...and sony's CS isn't great lol.
Prefer logitech
smily_headphones1.gif

I just realised someone voted for other meat...how dare them. :p

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #6 of 51
lots of sony fakes out there! i didnt know that, and most of these iems come with a 1 or 2 year warrenty so if anything goes wrong just send them back to the retailer and get a replacement or refund, after the warrenty runs out new better iems will be available and its time for a change enyway
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #7 of 51
I gave the MDR-EX300 as a gift and it went over very well! I'm sure the 500s are nice as well.

As for the poll:

Thou and thee are both second person singular
so it says:
"you will hit you"

Is that what you wanted to say?

Apr 11, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 51
@lucozade: sony and sennheiser are probably the most iem's where counterfeiters make fakes. they are very popular and too expensive :p

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kunlun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I gave the MDR-EX300 as a gift and it went over very well! I'm sure the 500s are nice as well.

As for the poll:

Thou and thee are both second person singular
so it says:
"you will hit you"

Is that what you wanted to say?

There goes the english...
I though thou shall smite thee was right...hmmm oh well :p
If you voted for other meat. I shall eat you, with chicken on the side of course!

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@lucozade: sony and sennheiser are probably the most iem's where counterfeiters make fakes. they are very popular and too expensive :p

yup...i think i got ie8 fakes lol...my freind had mdr-ex700 fakes, but he almost knew after ordering them lol

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There goes the english...
I though thou shall smite thee was right...hmmm oh well :p
If you voted for other meat. I shall eat you, with chicken on the side of course!

I couldn't make sense of it either :p

I think you want:

I shall smite thee!

or Thou shalt be smote!

l2speakoldenglish :p

*puts the thread back on its rails*

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@ rawster, hi ,yes i know there are lots of fake sennheiser out there, didnt know about the sonys though, there not that expencive in this country ,buy i have not heard eny sony iems so maybe they are compaired to there sound quality
happy_face1.gif
, looking at totally dubbeds video i dont think he got fake ie8s,though,just open or used ones.

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #13 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by muxenle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't make sense of it either :p

I think you want:

I shall smite thee!

or Thou shalt be smote!

l2speakoldenglish :p

*puts the thread back on its rails*

haha why thank you good sir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back