The New Meier Oehlbach Replacement Cable for the Sennheiser HD580/600/650
Jan 12, 2004 at 8:45 AM Post #32 of 68
> what kind of sleeve is on the cable? It looks like tech-flex

No Tech-Flex, as this would definitely decrease flexibility. As for looks, the cable is very similar to the stock-cable, but just a little bit thicker.

> Any chance you will be offering a replacement cable for the K1000's also?

Noop!

:)

Jan

Jan 12, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #33 of 68
I plugged mine in yesterday. It is a very well made cable, with molded connectors that actually fit tighter than the Sen originals. The main connector plug is also molded in. It is a very good mechanical design, which is where most aftermarket cables fail to meet my standards.

The sound is great, but I haven't compared it side by side with any other cables. To be honest, I have never heard an aftermarket cable make a big enough sound improvement to justify the price. I think that the Oehlbach was worth the price.

Jan, I do have a question: why are there splice joints in the leaders? Since they are making their own connectors, I would have expected a single run without joints. Not a complaint, just a curiosity.

gerG

Jan 12, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #34 of 68
Jan,

any chance that the Meier Oehlbach replacement cable will be available in a 15ft. length in the future? Your price seems to be very reasonable. Like fewtch, and some of the other guys around here I just can't justify spending $200 on a Senn 580/600/650 cable.

Jan 13, 2004 at 8:11 AM Post #35 of 68
Unless there is exposed braiding of multiple wires tech flex will only make things worse. It looks cool, but I find it snags on just about everything. And it's pretty easy to sever a few of those little weaves.

Will be interesting to hear what everyone thinks of this cable. It's the cheapest aftermarket HD580/600/650 cable so far.
-Ed

Jan 13, 2004 at 8:48 AM Post #36 of 68
"why are there splice joints in the leaders?"

The conductors inside are single run.

The major reason to apply two pieces of shrinking sheet is the reduction of mechanical noises. The PE-isolation of the two conductors is very stiff and thus transmits any noise to the earcups, which can be rather annoying. The pieces of shrinking sheet partly absorb and partly reflect some of these noises.

"any chance that the Meier Oehlbach replacement cable will be available in a 15ft. length in the future?

Sorry, can't help you on that one.

Jan 14, 2004 at 1:02 AM Post #37 of 68
Well I got my cable today!
biggrin.gif

First the shock: The mailman shoved the package in the mailbox with all his might, tearing the package in the process... You have to understand that I live in Canada and that at this time of the year the temperature is in the -30C and that we usually have our mailbox outside the house (a hole in the door wouldn't be convenient at these temperature...). Also when the temperature drop below the point were you better not keep your eyes open for too long because they freeze (don't laugh its true), everything is kind of rigid and usually not very encline to be shoved in a small apperture...

At first glance the cable was undammaged... ouf! A nice beefy (but flexible) cable very well constructed, something better than I was expecting from the picture on Jan web site.

The fit with the Senns is very tight, to the point that I wasn't sure if the connection was made all the way trough. I went to check if the connection was OK by hooking the gear to my system and then it hit me: WOW! I wasn't going to do a serious listening, just checking the connection. In the first 5 seconds I heard the improvement (I had the stock cable previously). The cable is not yet broken-in, well it's not even at room temperature!

That can't be placebo effect, I wasn't expecting anything yet! The difference is evident but not far from the original sound. The sound characteristic of the Senns is still the same but more involving more forward. Sadly I can't compare with the other aftermarket cables, I never had the chance to hear them.

I will post more comments after proper burn-in, but in my opinion you can't go wrong at this price.

System:
SimAudio Eclipse
Meier Corda HA-2
Modified Senn HD600 (foam removed)
Locally made high quality copper / bullet plug interconnect
OEHLBACH/Meier headphone cable

Jan 14, 2004 at 3:01 PM Post #39 of 68
still waiting for comparisons with other cables...
cool.gif

Jan 14, 2004 at 3:03 PM Post #40 of 68
After 12h of burning, I didn't hear a signifiant change in the sound but I had the time to get a good listen. The sound is really better than with the stock cable, more detailled, closer soundstage and more "air". For the first time I hear what my top notch source is capable of AND IT'S DELIGHTFULL! It's strange but I fell that I wouldn't hear such a difference with a "regular" source. The new cable feels like I'm directly hook to my source with no degradation. It's like going from redbook CD to HDCD.

Again I can't compare with the other aftermarket cables but at this price it's easy for any owner of Senns to buy this cable and hear for themself.

Jan 15, 2004 at 5:19 AM Post #41 of 68
Great to hear that you like your Meier cable. We are still waiting for a comparison of the various "new" replacement cables for the HD600/650 headphones - Meier Oehlbach/Bayley Diamondback - with the other "established" replacement cables - Zu Mobius/Equinox/Silver Dragon. Of course, someone needs to be wealthy enough to buy all of the various cables and so they can do a comparison.
tongue.gif

600smile.gif

Jan 15, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #43 of 68
AnsBjork now owns a one of a kind Cryogenically-treated Oehlbach cable: the FrrrOehlbach. I am jealous, but not so much so that I would move to the sub-arctic.
tongue.gif

Maybe I will order another one and have it stored in his mailbox for the winter.

gerG

Jan 16, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #44 of 68
Quote:

AnsBjork now owns a one of a kind Cryogenically-treated Oehlbach cable

I wanted to write that one but I wasen't able to spell "Cryogenically"!
wink.gif

By the way the cables have not changed much after 48h of burn-in. I still find them every bit as good as on my first listen.

Jan did right by insisting on the flexibility of the cable (no tech-flex); How do you guys with the other aftermaket cables cope with the rigidity of what must feel like speaker cable? Don't you find it annoying when you turn the head? These cables are probably the best of the bunch regarding comfort and still I find them OK but on the verge of being too rigid for listening confort.

Jan should not advertise that he makes "no nonsense cable" but "cables that makes a lot of sense".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back