The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Nov 7, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #586 of 1,522
For Spanish and EU members:

I just ordered a pair from this vendor: http://www.fnac.es/JVC-HAS400B-Auriculares-Hi-Fi-Negros-Auricular-HIFI-Auriculares/a821947

Price 23,40€ (30,05$). Considering that we pay a 21% of VAT I find the price very good. So I ordered them while I am waiting my HAS500 to arrive from Japan.

I use the M-80 as my portable can and the Senn HD600 for my home rig... I am looking forward to find out how the JVCs compare to them.

Next stop will be looking for some AKG pleather pads.

Thx for sharing both passion and information regarding these cans. 

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #588 of 1,522
I've got 3 of these : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251176748900

A little tight but the S400 and S500 will fit nicely into these case without bouncing around should you shake it. 

Thank you!

I really am torn between the S400 and S500, and I seem to have got recommendations for both. Can anyone help me as to which is better suited alternative/rock/ punk? Maybe being more specific with genres will help me get a more accurate answer.

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #589 of 1,522
Quote:
Thank you!
I really am torn between the S400 and S500, and I seem to have got recommendations for both. Can anyone help me as to which is better suited alternative/rock/ punk? Maybe being more specific with genres will help me get a more accurate answer.

Now with the lower European prices I'm back to that dilemma. I don't know if it's worth spending an extra 22€ for s500

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #591 of 1,522
Quote:
Lower European prices? The cheapest way I could think of was amazon.com shipped to the UK... where are you going to buy yours from?

I was thinking to buy from fnac.es as andkoppel suggested but I have just read that for electronics they can only deliver in Spain and Portugal so for me this is not an option anymore. The s400 are already available in France and Italy too but the price is 40€

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #593 of 1,522
Quote:
Hayang, your picture makes the HA-S400/500 look almost like the M50's but with smaller cups. haha

Haha it should be noted that the notebook is mini-sized, probably like 6x9.5 inches.  You're right that the photo makes it look like the M50s... so here's some better pictures with some size references too:

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #594 of 1,522
They are really nice looking headphones!! I really want to get a pair

One a these days...
rolleyes.gif

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #596 of 1,522
Quote:
Thank you!

LOL ....it's one of those loaded questions.
wink.gif

I liked the S400 for the way it renders vocals but does that means I'll be selling away my S500 ? Nope !  ...not gonna happen, I like the way the S500 gives me the THX like movie experiences, it is also the headphone I'll pass to co-workers (those sporting Beats and Skull'candy gears) for a listen just to 'shake' their audio faith foundations.
If I know a co-worker is an audiophile and has preferences for a balanced signature, I'll pass him/her the S400. The S400 is one of those phones which is relatively easy listerning but it is only after you've settled down and listerning critically that it's full song could be heard.

I think they're affordable enough to buy both to see which signature you prefer, I am not surprised at all to find guys liking one over the other.

If budget is really a big constrain for you, then may I suggest getting the S400 first and the S500 later when it becomes more mainstream. 

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #597 of 1,522
Quote:

LOL ....it's one of those loaded questions.
wink.gif

I liked the S400 for the way it renders vocals but does that means I'll be selling away my S500 ? Nope !  ...not gonna happen, I like the way the S500 gives me the THX like movie experiences, it is also the headphone I'll pass to co-workers (those sporting Beats and Skull'candy gears) for a listen just to 'shake' their audio faith foundations.
If I know a co-worker is an audiophile and has preferences for a balanced signature, I'll pass him/her the S400. The S400 is one of those phones which is relatively easy listerning but it is only after you've settled down and listerning critically that it's full song could be heard.

I think they're affordable enough to buy both to see which signature you prefer, I am not surprised at all to find guys liking one over the other.

If budget is really a big constrain for you, then may I suggest getting the S400 first and the S500 later when it becomes more mainstream. 

You're too mean and nasty ghost!!! Leave those poor suckas to their delusional beats fantasy-land. They want style over substance and that's what they get. LoL

Hey ghost since you seem like a bass fan as well, go try the tape mod that musubi1000 discovered, it makes my S500s and S400s sound so much more godly. No joke, so simple yet so effective esp. for the bass department.   
beerchug.gif

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #598 of 1,522

Budget doesn't bother me loads, however I'd rather buy not both at the moment. As someone who prefers a balanced sound though S400s aren't a bad choice, right? And with AKG pads they still sound reasonably balanced? (stuffed or un- stuffed for balance?). Thanks man

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #599 of 1,522
Quote:
Budget doesn't bother me loads, however I'd rather buy not both at the moment. As someone who prefers a balanced sound though S400s aren't a bad choice, right? And with AKG pads they still sound reasonably balanced? (stuffed or un- stuffed for balance?). Thanks man

Yes.

The S400 is more balanced, the S500 has that "wow" factor with a bigger sound, bass and highs.

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #600 of 1,522
You're too mean and nasty ghost!!! Leave those poor suckas to their delusional beats fantasy-land. They want style over substance and that's what they get. LoL

Hey ghost since you seem like a bass fan as well, go try the tape mod that musubi1000 discovered, it makes my S500s and S400s sound so much more godly. No joke, so simple yet so effective . for the bass department.    :beerchug:

How do the S400 compare to the S500 with the mods?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back