The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Sep 1, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #7,051 of 9,165
Quote:
Hey guys,
i am having a problem with my AK100. It basically will not do anything. It would scan the library as it says it is out of space but i have deleted all music off the device. I also can not upgrade firmware as it thinks it dont have the 50mb free needed. I have reset setting but that does not help. Is there a way to do a factory restore, to like make it as if it just come out the box.

I think someone else had the same issue few pages ago. Can you connect it to your computer and format it? If not, I think the only way would be to contact iRiver.

This is quite interesting. I had a similar issue, but it was fixed as soon as I rebooted my AK100. Is this a firmware issue?

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #7,052 of 9,165
Quote:
Hey guys,
i am having a problem with my AK100. It basically will not do anything. It would scan the library as it says it is out of space but i have deleted all music off the device. I also can not upgrade firmware as it thinks it dont have the 50mb free needed. I have reset setting but that does not help. Is there a way to do a factory restore, to like make it as if it just come out the box.

are you using a mac? did you empty the trash can before trying to upgrade?

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #7,055 of 9,165
Yes i am using a mac! So i should empty the trash can? This was a problem before trying to upgrade. I am on 1.33

When the drives in your AK are mounted in your computer, the deleted files are technically not actually deleted. They are basically renamed and hidden - and linked to your trash. So, it is deleted in the sense that the files are not usable. However, they still take up space because they are really in your "trash." You have to delete the content from your trash to fully delete them. Make sure that you properly eject the device as well.

Hopefully, this will remove enough to allow you to do a fw update.

Let us know if this works or not.

----

Okay, nevermind. I see it worked.

Sep 2, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #7,056 of 9,165
Quote:
When the drives in your AK are mounted in your computer, the deleted files are technically not actually deleted. They are basically renamed and hidden - and linked to your trash. So, it is deleted in the sense that the files are not usable. However, they still take up space because they are really in your "trash." You have to delete the content from your trash to fully delete them. Make sure that you properly eject the device as well.

Hopefully, this will remove enough to allow you to do a fw update.

Let us know if this works or not.

----

Okay, nevermind. I see it worked.

Great advice.

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #7,057 of 9,165
If you get the rwak100 and find you miss the added impedance on the TG334, you can buy one if these for $18 to add it back:
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=290372905689&cmd=VIDESC

You can get them in 22 ohm, 33 ohm and a lot more. Much more elegant way of adding impedance than having it built in the dap where you can't remove it easily.

I know this post is very old, but is there a same adaptor that does the opposite? Instead of adding, reduce the impedance? =D

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #7,059 of 9,165
It's called Red Wine Audio (RWA): http://redwineaudio.com/mods/rwak100

No adapter can reduce impedance (resistance).

That's what I thought so too until someone told me there's an impedance converter which is like a 3.5 to 3.5 socket to block the impedance =.=
Really prefer unmodded, sadly we can't have everything eh :frowning2:

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #7,060 of 9,165
That's what I thought so too until someone told me there's an impedance converter which is like a 3.5 to 3.5 socket to block the impedance =.=
Really prefer unmodded, sadly we can't have everything eh :frowning2:
I think Rin made a adapter that should reduce the impedance issue. Apparently, it works.

BTW, I would need a mini toshlink cable for ak100, right?

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #7,061 of 9,165
I think Rin made a adapter that should reduce the impedance issue. Apparently, it works.

I'm very open to being corrected here, but from my understanding it's impossible to reduce impedance with an adapter and the only alternative is to increase the impedance of the earphones. The adapters I've seen actually increase output impedance and make the problem worse (from experience).

The only way to increase impedance of your phones would be modifying the crossovers / filters on the actual drivers and that's a messy proposition.

The mods (RWA and others) only improve the AK100 with no drawbacks. As shotgunshane said, you can always increase output impedance with an adapter (but I don't know why you would in this situation)

Sep 2, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #7,062 of 9,165

Wow how did that turn out? And is there any for sale?

I'm very open to being corrected here, but from my understanding it's impossible to reduce impedance with an adapter and the only alternative is to increase the impedance of the earphones. The adapters I've seen actually increase output impedance and make the problem worse (from experience).

The only way to increase impedance of your phones would be modifying the crossovers / filters on the actual drivers and that's a messy proposition.

The mods (RWA and others) only improve the AK100 with no drawbacks. As shotgunshane said, you can always increase output impedance with an adapter (but I don't know why you would in this situation)

Have you tried the ones that increase the impedance on the earphones? Any drawbacks on that or does it work like a charm?

Sep 2, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #7,063 of 9,165
Quote:
Wow how did that turn out? And is there any for sale?
Have you tried the ones that increase the impedance on the earphones? Any drawbacks on that or does it work like a charm?

I don't think such a thing really exists (i.e. it actually increases the output impedance, not the headphone impedance even though it's outside the device), but if someone knows otherwise, please correct me as I haven't seen one to try it.

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #7,064 of 9,165
Quote:

I don't think it reduces the impedance. I really don't know the science behind them. Ask Rin about how it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back