The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Apr 5, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #3,662 of 9,165
I could browse by artist and album since the day I received the RWAK100 back in early Jan. It was the first batch of the RWAK100 and I forgot which version of firmware did it came loaded with.

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #3,664 of 9,165
Guys, granted ill be using spdif-optical cable and feed it to optical in of lets say Anaconda (D12); what is the advanrage of this route rather than using pure analog (3.5-3.5) to an amp? Is there any SQ improvement?

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #3,665 of 9,165
I can also confirm no problems browsing in firmware 1.33 from Album/Song/Artist.

I have just over 2000 tracks spanned across a 64gig card, a 16gig and the 32gig internal memory. 99% of my music is FLAC, with maybe 2 mp3 albums.

In 1.32 I was having a fairly regular problem of the content from the 64gig card not showing up straight after a scan. The fix was to turn of and on again and rescan. In 1.33 this problem seems to be completely gone. 

Boot up time in 1.33 seems slightly faster than 1.32 as well. Could be my imagination though

All in all 1.33 seems to be a good improvement, however I do only have around 2000 tracks on my device 

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #3,666 of 9,165
i prefer browsing by folders and so 1.33 has nothing for me, at the same time i find 1.30 stable. I use 32G cards so no issues here.
I wish new firmware would allow to use CUE lists then I would upgrade. Otherwise I just wait for next one to see if that might be worth.

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #3,667 of 9,165
Doing this you will bypass the ak100 Dac, so if the d12 dac is better, you will indeed improve other analog, where you just double amp.
Guys, granted ill be using spdif-optical cable and feed it to optical in of lets say Anaconda (D12); what is the advanrage of this route rather than using pure analog (3.5-3.5) to an amp? Is there any SQ improvement?

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #3,668 of 9,165
I am beginning to think the issues some experience might be related to the software used to rip music files, and/or the directory structure used to store the music. I rip with Winamp, and I store in the following structure:

Artist 1
   Album1-1
      Songs
   Album1-2
       Songs
   Album1-n
       Songs
Artist 2
   Album 2-1
   Album 2-2
   Album 2-n
Artist n
   Album n-1
   Album n-2
   Album n-n

Apr 5, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #3,670 of 9,165
I have been doing a lot of different headphone use with my Ak100 and there has been only two that i have been able to enjoy so far.

Firstly the Lear LCM-5. It does with the FR but not hugely. It just gives it an elevated bass and makes them a little less neutral and a bit more fun yet still very accurate. However it is not how the LCM-5 are intended to be!

Secondly we have the MyST Nail IEMs, both the 1 and 2. They have 60 ohms and 120 ohms impedance respectfully and both use a single armature driver. Frequency response as it should be and we finally have decent dynamics with this player, a really spacious soundstage and just immense detailing, nothing like when using the RE-400 or the rest of my IEM collection with the AK100.

As for the Ak100 its self i have found few glitches so i guess i have been lucky so far.

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #3,671 of 9,165
Quote:
I have been doing a lot of different headphone use with my Ak100 and there has been only two that i have been able to enjoy so far.

Firstly the Lear LCM-5. It does with the FR but not hugely. It just gives it an elevated bass and makes them a little less neutral and a bit more fun yet still very accurate. However it is not how the LCM-5 are intended to be!

Secondly we have the MyST Nail IEMs, both the 1 and 2. They have 60 ohms and 120 ohms impedance respectfully and both use a single armature driver. Frequency response as it should be and we finally have decent dynamics with this player, a really spacious soundstage and just immense detailing, nothing like when using the RE-400 or the rest of my IEM collection with the AK100.

As for the Ak100 its self i have found few glitches so i guess i have been lucky so far.

Have you tried either of the Tzar's Swimsonny?

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #3,673 of 9,165
Of course you can. I'm insanely in love with them :)

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #3,674 of 9,165
Quote:

You will probably find that the impedance is about 1/2 of specified in the bass if it was taken at 1000hz. In single driver BAs it also ends to increase significantly there after. They don't behave like single dynamics. Not arguing with your conclusions regarding the sound but neither may still be that great technical impedance match.

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #3,675 of 9,165
Hi folks,

can anyone recommend where I could purchase online the leather case for AK100 ??? To be shipped afterwards to Asia or Europe?

thx for your recommendations :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back