The NEW Headphone Lounge Thread
May 12, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #391 of 719
that's a nice cable.  it's the "reference" right?  it looks a bit thick actually.  how does it feel compared to a stock westone cable?  any noticeable difference in sound?

May 12, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #392 of 719
  that's a nice cable.  it's the "reference" right?  it looks a bit thick actually.  how does it feel compared to a stock westone cable?  any noticeable difference in sound?

Ya, that's correct. Its the 24 AWG Silver Litz ("The Reference") cable. The cable is thicker than the westone cable but its a given since the cable has 4 braids (very well woven, might I add) and are each 24 AWG. In return for the slightly more thickness, not so much weight, is a much nicer sound.
Based on my Westone UM Pro 50, everything feels clearer. It makes it feel like the veil that was there, is gone completely. The bass is still present and strong, but tighter and feels better overall in all aspects. The mids are clearer and just overall more articulate. The highs are a beauty. It helps pull the quite dark sound signature of the Pro 50s. It's still warm and cozy but its articulate and hearing every instrument, from a guitar's string buzz to the realistic hi-hats, is even more enjoyable. Really, it made an already amazing, and severely underrated, IEM and made it even more stunning. I don't get tired of listening to it.
Compare that to the stock Westone cable, and its no comparison. When I sent it back to Ted to get some repairs done, because I messed them up, I had to use the stock. It was a gigantic leap and it was enough to make me to decrease my usage from 8+ hours a day to maybe 1 hour per week or less. Its like driving a Corvette, or any high speed vehicle, on the Autobahn and bringing that back down to a hybrid Honda driving at 40mph at max. Its boring and not exhilarating one bit.
I heard a difference and that's coming from a Note 4 (Snapdragon SoC), so imagine if I had a DAP or some form of dedicated audio setup.

May 14, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #393 of 719
Well after unsuccessfully trying to mod my Senn HD650 cable to a kobiconn balanced connector, I decided to order a silver plated copper balanced cable from Ted.  I must say that I was a little hesitant at first after following much of the previous thread that was previously closed and all of the hoopla. 

That being said I am completely impressed with not only the cable and the difference it makes going balanced through my Duet, but also with Ted.  He made the cable lightning fast and is completely great to deal with.  Kudos Sir!  I am looking forward to ordering additional cables in the future.

May 15, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #394 of 719
I recently ordered a SPC 24awg wire from Ted. After owning solve for a while, I wanted to know how much of a difference SPC had against pure silver. I can't wait!

May 15, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #395 of 719
He made the cable lightning fast

So jealous. Still waiting on mine. I hope its on its way to Thailand now. Yep totally agree that Ted is going above and beyond in corresponding and caring for his customers. He's a very busy guy building cables and poor guy has to also try to answer emails as fast as possible, sometimes within the hour. Talking about multiple hands. Wish he's getting help.

May 29, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #396 of 719
Just got my SPC cables in from Ted. Here's my quick short impressions:

Damn these things are beautiful. Combine that with the carbon fiber and rhodium plated brass y-split and 3.5mm barrel jack, the whole thing flows impressively well together. The clear "shielding" is instead dark colored, unlike the completely clear ones used on his silver and copper. A nice touch to the overall appeal, and while not as "soft" as the silver or copper, it is quite supple. In fact, it feels soft and supple enough to know that its a nice shielding but hard enough to feel the denseness and strength that it has. I definitely enjoy the feel of this.
Just like with all his work, the handmade wires are excellent. These have such attention to detail, that its awesome to see the quality of work when left in capable hands. You can tell these are handmade and its precisely why I bought from him yet again. Like always, his braiding is awesome and there's really nothing negative I can say that is a negative. Maybe except being sent in a titanium case to go along with the beautiful wires 
etysmile.gif

As for sound, I am testing them on my Westone UM Pro 50s. Holy cow! I thought I LOVED the silver, but I strangely love the SPC even more. I was worried about how I might not like it or something because of the constant SPC complaints from users about other companies but I was proved wrong. I enjoyed the dark body of the Pro 50s to start off, but this took it on a whole level. What I mean is that it kept the same body and fullness that was there but brought even more clarity, microdetail, and soundstage. Honestly, I am blown away yet again.
Imagine the Pro 50s with stock wires like sitting next to a fireplace by yourself, enjoying the warmth and coziness of the fire. The SPC wire keeps that same feeling of coziness and warmth but with friends and family during a joyous celebration with smiles, laughter, and lots of partying. Its a whole new animal.

Aside from my weird analogies, I enjoyed the quick test. I simply just forgot about the hard and annoying day I had at work. For dark sounding IEMs, since that's all I have tested, these are awesome if you want to bring some brightness, clarity, and such but still wanted to keep the same base sound. While I enjoyed my silver, which I take massive pride in owning, I feel I enjoy the SPC much more. I thank Ted for making one, at such a quick creation time too, and would recommend his cables yet again.

Pictures soon!!!

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #397 of 719
I got Ted to make these wonderful interconnects for me. The cable qualities are top-notch. Thanks Ted for the quick turnaround, excellent customer service, and of course, the unbeatable pricing! :)

Jul 2, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #398 of 719
I've ordered a couple cables from Ted,  the component quality is excellence. Rhodium plated brass plugs, OCC Neotech litz wire, flexible PE insulation, Cardas quad eutectic solder, I wouldn't go to anyone else for a cable! Then add his amazing customer service, craftsmanship and fair pricing, and it makes one of those rare instances in life where it is not too good to be true 
cool.gif

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #400 of 719
Jul 2, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #402 of 719
do all these cables really make a diff to the sound?
:D

Lol. Tongue firmly in cheek there?
When I was last asked that question by someone, I pulled out two different brands of high-end IEMs, and two different brands of high-end cable, and asked my sceptical friend to listen to the same music through both IEMs, swapped the cables and tried again. It worked :).
I'd say the difference is larger than is is between some DAPs. PS: For context, I believe in brain / ear burn in, not gear burn in.

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #403 of 719
Lol. Tongue firmly in cheek there?
When I was last asked that question by someone, I pulled out two different brands of high-end IEMs, and two different brands of high-end cable, and asked my sceptical friend to listen to the same music through both IEMs, swapped the cables and tried again. It worked
smily_headphones1.gif
I'd say the difference is larger than is is between some DAPs. PS: For context, I believe in brain / ear burn in, not gear burn in.

certainly, brain adaptation to the "new" sound is a valid hypothesis, and can be proven with fMRI imaging of key brain structures in a willing volunteer.

p.s. gear burn-in is valid for power amps with big capacitors and large speakers with substantial drivers.

Jul 2, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #404 of 719
but I do agree with y'all. Ted is a terrific Kablemeister. I hope he branches out from just kables....maybe also do bespoke headphone stands, headphone dust covers, and custom pads for HFMan, Audeze, and Sennheiser?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back