The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 23, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #8,569 of 29,013
But I don't recommend the sabre dac with the HD800's unless you know what you're doing.

Depends on whether you want to maximize the HD800's strengths (speed, detail, clarity, bass control, dynamics) or minimize it's supposed weaknesses IMO.

Obviously as always the quality of the DAC is vital especially with a phone like the HD800's.

Feb 23, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #8,571 of 29,013

Depends on whether you want to maximize the HD800's strengths (speed, detail, clarity, bass control, dynamics) or minimize it's supposed weaknesses IMO.

Obviously as always the quality of the DAC is vital especially with a phone like the HD800's.

Exactly
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #8,573 of 29,013

So I bought my own HD 800 too. :)

Here is my graph: ...
  Now I am playing it with AK100 + DIY headphone amp.
  I will buy more sophiticated DAC + AMP soon. But what? 

1000 USD max...

YULONG AUDIO SABRE DA8 seem not bad!

Congrats!

But I don't recommend the sabre dac with the HD800's unless you know what you're doing.

I'm driving my HD800 directly with a exasound e20 DAC and I'm lovin' it.
I think that just the choice of processor doesn't necessarily translate into a certain sound character. Obviously the developer has to create a design that when all pieces are put together sound like the real thing.

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #8,574 of 29,013

I bought HD800 to have the bigest soundstage a instrument separation and some bass (in this order). I tried it and HD800 was the best I heard. Other models missed one of it.
Now when I have 800s connected to DIY headphone amp and then to AK100 sounds for me enough well. It plays poor recorded MP3s not so horrible. (In the worst case I am using HD 570 headphones) 
But can be better. So I want to reconnect headphones to balance and I need better amp. Combined DAC+ balanced AMP is best choice.
Next candidate is Audio-GD NBF-28...

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #8,575 of 29,013
I don't think it is useful to ask the question "what is the benefit of using HD800 with a balanced amplifier" instead what we should be asking is "what is the benefit of using HD800 with X amplifier which just so happens to be balanced".  IMO if an amplifier is designed to be balanced, then it should be used balanced as that is how it was designed to be used.  Using my balanced amplifier in singled ended results in a more laid back sound, but this doesn't mean that all single ended amplifiers are more laid back than balanced amplifiers.  If there is any possible generalisations about true balanced amplifiers it is that they are intended to have better channel separation and immunity to ground related problems, and possibly more power output (maybe better CM noise rejection?)  I wouldn't buy an amplifier just because it's balanced - I would buy it because it has good performance.

DAC and source are definitely important as HD800 will lay them bare, but I'm not sure how much is best to spend on which area.  In my setup there is easily more money spent in the source, cables, transport and DAC than the amplifier (even my equipment rack costs more than my amplifier) but that is more a reflection of my own choices than any indication of best practice in setting up a hifi system.  Any equipment which improves (not just changes) the performance of a hifi setup is worth investing in in the long run.  Once you have an amplifier and headphones which are transparent enough, you can start to evaluate DAC and source performance, and once the DAC and source are up to a certain level it becomes easier to evaluate amplifier performance.  Its the journey etc...

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #8,576 of 29,013
Finally got me a pair of HD-800's, this has been a long time coming :). Really enjoying them, have been going through all my favorites relistening. Definitely point out the faults in recordings, especially if a recording has some sibilance. I am using them with an EHHA, with pope tubes. Their bright sound signature is something I am not used to, I think partly that should be mended by mental burn in. I have also ordered some wire and connectors, hoping that replacing the stock SPC cable with copper will help, also ordered some telefunken tubes as I was told they are smoother on top. Wish me luck!

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #8,578 of 29,013
  Finally got me a pair of HD-800's, this has been a long time coming :). Really enjoying them, have been going through all my favorites relistening. Definitely point out the faults in recordings, especially if a recording has some sibilance. I am using them with an EHHA, with pope tubes. Their bright sound signature is something I am not used to, I think partly that should be mended by mental burn in. I have also ordered some wire and connectors, hoping that replacing the stock SPC cable with copper will help, also ordered some telefunken tubes as I was told they are smoother on top. Wish me luck!

Congrats. Still having to wait a day or so until I get mine on my head. I'm really hoping this is end-game for me as my wallet just me right now.

Feb 24, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #8,580 of 29,013
Thanks akhyar and roguegeek. I really don't see any reason to go beyond these, for me they are it. Their super detailed, expansive, yet involving sound is quite addictive. I don't see a reason to get anything else.

There's always the STAX SR009.
Don't say I've never warned you. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back