The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 4, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #8,807 of 29,012
Ugh. Got home later than I wanted to from a little trip this last weekend, so I definitely haven't gotten in the listening I've wanted to. Here now, though, and it seems heaven resumes. Nice to see so many posts since Friday night.

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #8,808 of 29,012
RogueGeek, Received my Field diffuse frequency email from Sennheiser yesterday, serial number 282xxx. I believe you have /xxx. Let compare. By the way how do you like your Bifrost/ Asgard with the HD800?

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #8,809 of 29,012
I am thinking about buying a HD800.   Of course- I am scared out of my mind about the brightness issue.

What I'm wondering though- is using computer audio- wouldn't a small amount a equalizing or even crossfeed take care of the issue?

I find crossfeed really softens and rounds out those highs?

Is the brightness of the headphone workable without ruining it's good points?

If so- what recommendations would you give me?

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #8,810 of 29,012
EQ is fine to use and as most do not use
It much it is a good way to enjoy the headphones
Now next they are a very detailed headphone
And the brightness people speak of is just harshness
In poor recordings. Buy them and enjoy them
And a little increase in the leer level helps and a little take away
At about 6 k helps too.

Al

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #8,811 of 29,012
  I am thinking about buying a HD800.   Of course- I am scared out of my mind about the brightness issue.

What I'm wondering though- is using computer audio- wouldn't a small amount a equalizing or even crossfeed take care of the issue?

I bet you don't need to EQ them :wink: But yeah a little EQ can do wonders if need be. as Alrainbow says, a little notch down at 6-7khz will smooth it out. I don't like crossfeed however, it affects the overall balance and smears the image IME.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #8,813 of 29,012

Don't be.

Yes and maybe.

Does it? I like crossfeed quite a lot personally but I've never done it to tame the highs. Maybe I need to listen for that.

Yes.

Buy them.
biggrin.gif

The HD800 is a very transparent transducer. More so than almost any other headphone I know. You can use them as they are and they are great. Some purists don't believe in EQ and that's fine. I personally believe in EQ and feel it can compensate for recording flaws, personal taste or component mismatchs. With EQ the HD800 can be made to be a headshaking basshead dream, a delicate midrange vocalists headphones or a detail monster. Your call really, they are very versatile.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #8,814 of 29,012

What brightness issue? This has never been a problem for me. 
biggrin.gif
Worst case scenario, there's always EQ like others have said.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #8,815 of 29,012

Hi
Surely Senn HD800s must be one of the most easiest headphone to audition?I'm sure if you give your location your'll get an offer from a member who has a pair! I'm listening to mine at I write,no brightness here.

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #8,816 of 29,012
It's usually best not to audition the HD800's... they're not a really a "wow" pair of headphones, and it's easy to get equipment mismatches in a shop. I recommend just buying them.
cool.gif

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #8,818 of 29,012
Cannot resist to post pics of my HD800/HE-4 Head-fi Station 
redface.gif

L3000.gif

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #8,819 of 29,012
RogueGeek, Received my Field diffuse frequency email from Sennheiser yesterday. Let compare. By the way how do you like your Bifrost/ Asgard with the HD800?

Got mine over the weekend as well. Looks fairly similar.

What do you guys think?

As far as Bifrost Uber and Asgard2 go, I like the Bifrost Uber with it. Works well. I don't like the Asgard 2 at all. Far too bright of an amp to run with an HD 800. The Lyr, on the other hand, seems to be doing well. I know I'll probably be looking at a fairly decent amp upgrades soon, though, to ensure I am squeezing everything I can get out of the HD 800.

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #8,820 of 29,012
  Got mine over the weekend as well. Looks fairly similar.

What do you guys think?

As far as Bifrost Uber and Asgard2 go, I like the Bifrost Uber with it. Works well. I don't like the Asgard 2 at all. Far too bright of an amp to run with an HD 800. The Lyr, on the other hand, seems to be doing well. I know I'll probably be looking at a fairly decent amp upgrades soon, though, to ensure I am squeezing everything I can get out of the HD 800.

Your frequency response looks good. I use the Lyr to drive my HD800 and I'm satisfy of they synergy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back