The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #8,776 of 29,013
I apologize to Lugbug1 and his family. Posting personal pics grabbed on Facebook is unfair.  

I'm so sorry 
redface.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #8,777 of 29,013
PMSL indeed!
biggrin.gif

I was thinking of posting something like that but I'm on Jude's "bad boy" list right now so I have to keep my shoes shined and shirt tucked in.
cool.gif

Remember - we're not laughing at you, we're laughing near you!
beerchug.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #8,778 of 29,013
To go back in topic : I currently give a try to an O2 amp.  Anyone else tried it ?  

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #8,780 of 29,013
Oh that's fine. I do the same thing here : REGA dac + MG Head vs REGA DAC + O2  as I did for the Schiit Vali a few days ago ...  
beerchug.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #8,781 of 29,013

Oh yeah I just received one again, I like the new desktop version from walter. I'm going to get to the bottom of the "myth" and do some careful comparison with my Benchmark DAC2..
popcorn.gif

I have never seen that version before. It looks good. What is the purpose of the front input since there is also a rear input but no selector? Are they simply tied together? And the rear output allows it to be used as a preamp?

Im curious to hear your opinion. When I had the O2 and DAC1 I couldnt tell them apart. Cliche, I know, but it is what it is...
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #8,782 of 29,013
Seriously I'm really impressed. With both my REGA and my NFB12.1 , this litlle amp sounds very good.  A little bit more edginess than my MG Head but not less impact & body. Maybe a bit looser bass but overally the result is good. :) . I'm even more surprised to see that O2 drive my HE-4 perfectly to very loud volumes. 

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #8,783 of 29,013

I Loaded my Asus E-1 with the last 2 Muses-01 OpAmps and it is now moded to a full Muses-01 edition, minus the difference in the pot and gain switch the Muses edition brings. My HD800 has roughly 45 hours of burn in, so decided to have a nice listening session with the wife out of town and the kids away :)

Ok so coming from the HD700, the 800 are a tad heavier but not by much, the clamping works well with me and I had no fatigue or any complaints. The HD700 are more comfortable and lighter. I don't think theres a more comfortable full size can than the HD700 at least that I've tried but the 800 are not to far way.

Some quick observations....
I think the one thing that you immediately notice about the 800 is the sound stage it s really big, my room was quite and dark and it's was as though I was listening to my Paradigm studio 20 for a second.
The Other thing I notice was how much air, detail, and how super resolving these cans are, it's so much fun when you listen to a track for the 1000th time and you picked something that you may have never noticed and that's what it was like listening to this combo last night what was going to be a short listening session when I started at 9:pm lasted to after 2:am I couldn't get enough. Anyways that's my quick impression, the HD800 are going to stay with me for while I don't see myself wanting another set of cans, now the Amp well.. :D

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #8,784 of 29,013
Nice write up there Bacchus,

Speaking of amps.... got this in the mail yesterday.

Balanced no less, and with some fancy tubes as well.

Impressions to follow
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #8,785 of 29,013
I've just bought Lindsey Stirling CD, which I think is my first and so far only bass heavy album and I am really, really surprised by the amount of bass the HD800 actually have with bass heavy music. I thought these are supposed to have anemic bass, but really, IMO the bass quantity can still satisfy bass-heads.

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #8,786 of 29,013
I forgot to mention I also do that . Stupid non symmetrical head. I read somewhere once that the more symmetrical you are the better looking you are......... :-/

I apologize to Lugbug1 and his family. Posting personal pics grabbed on Facebook is unfair.  

I'm so sorry 
redface.gif

PMSL indeed!
biggrin.gif

I was thinking of posting something like that but I'm on Jude's "bad boy" list right now so I have to keep my shoes shined and shirt tucked in.
cool.gif

Remember - we're not laughing at you, we're laughing near you!
beerchug.gif

ROFL!! 

Hey best laugh I've had today 
beerchug.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #8,787 of 29,013
Sweet!! Congrats! Why os there no drool emoticon? 
biggrin.gif

In my research for a TOTL amp, eagerly waiting on your impressions.

Quote:
  Nice write up there Bacchus,

Speaking of amps.... got this in the mail yesterday.

Balanced no less, and with some fancy tubes as well.

Impressions to follow
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #8,788 of 29,013
I've just bought Lindsey Stirling CD, which I think is my first and so far only bass heavy album and I am really, really surprised by the amount of bass the HD800 actually have with bass heavy music. I thought these are supposed to have anemic bass, but really, IMO the bass quantity can still satisfy bass-heads.

I've not heard of her, do you recommend the album ?

Mar 1, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #8,789 of 29,013
Have any one here heard the HD800 via EarMax Pro Silver Edition? It is an OTL amp too.

Price is not cheap for this tiny amp... is about 850euro new.

Mar 1, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #8,790 of 29,013
I've not heard of her, do you recommend the album ?

Well... she's got some kind of talent that's for sure.

IMHO she's trying a bit too hard and I find it a bit hard to relax and just enjoy her music. I get the impression that the only message her music has is "I'm hot, I'm sexy and I can play violin! Look at me!"

But then she is pretty darn young and I'm sure she's having the time of her life so i don't blame her. I would like her a lot better if she wasn't so showy.

I prefer artists that are artists/musicians first and performers second.

For contrast & clarification: This is being an ART-ist first and performer second:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back