The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #7,051 of 29,013
  Just want to let you guys know my HD-800 with balanced cable is up for sale :)

Lol, as was mine. Good luck with the sales.

Absolute madness. 
biggrin.gif

Suppose there's no accounting for taste...
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #7,052 of 29,013
Apparently the $100 Wire didn't tap the Senns potential Brunk?
redface.gif

In other news, the Vali's bass just thumps with the HD800 at times.what a great little monster amp for it's price-probably sneaking it the top 5 amps for the HD800 that I've owned-cost no object either. ZDSE, P1u, Bryston, Vali/m-Stage is my quick five second order...

-Daniel

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #7,053 of 29,013
  Apparently the $100 Wire didn't tap the Senns potential Brunk?
redface.gif

In other news, the Vali's bass just thumps with the HD800 at times.what a great little monster amp for it's price-probably sneaking it the top 5 amps for the HD800 that I've owned-cost no object either. ZDSE, P1u, Bryston, Vali/m-Stage is my quick five second order...

-Daniel

Hmmm next pay day.. :D

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #7,054 of 29,013
  Hmmm next pay day.. :D

For what-the Vali? I was just telling Cradon via PM that the Vali reminds me  a lot of the WA5LE w/tube upgrades w/ the HD800. The Woo is more transparent, but they seem to have similar sonics imo: thumping rounded bass, 'big' upfront sound, nice highs that are still somewhat sibilant. And yes, I took the Woo into consideration while making the above list. :O

-Daniel

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #7,055 of 29,013
  Apparently the Wire didn't tap the Senns potential Brunk?
redface.gif

-Daniel

No, The Wire BAL-BAL is an absolute monster amp for the HD-800. I just no longer prefer their sound signature. Matter of fact, I don't think there's a much better option than a fully balanced wire amp regardless of price. Exceptions would be some tube amps to tailor your flavor of course. My HD-800 is still up for sale guys! I also have an 8ft. balanced extension cable available if you like to move around :)

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #7,056 of 29,013

For what-the Vali? I was just telling Cradon via PM that the Vali reminds me  a lot of the WA5LE w/tube upgrades w/ the HD800. The Woo is more transparent, but they seem to have similar sonics imo: thumping rounded bass, 'big' upfront sound, nice highs that are still somewhat sibilant. And yes, I took the Woo into consideration while making the above list. :O

-Daniel

I'm having Cradon come over to my house for a mini meet... Looking forward to trying his DNA Stratus again! Last time his M7 wasn't playing nicely with my surface pro, so I couldn't use my own music. He was pretty impressed by the Vali though :p

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #7,057 of 29,013

-Daniel

Yeah the Vali. I'm gona see if it can compete with my better vintage amps at the mo :) For the price its a no brainer! 

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #7,058 of 29,013
  No, The Wire BAL-BAL is an absolute monster amp for the HD-800. I just no longer prefer their sound signature. Matter of fact, I don't think there's a much better option than a fully balanced wire amp regardless of price. Exceptions would be some tube amps to tailor your flavor of course. My HD-800 is still up for sale guys! I also have an 8ft. balanced extension cable available if you like to move around :)

I thought you didn't get the balanced one?? Either way-do you have impressions anywhere?

I'm having Cradon come over to my house for a mini meet... Looking forward to trying his DNA Stratus again! Last time his M7 wasn't playing nicely with my surface pro, so I couldn't use my own music. He was pretty impressed by the Vali though :p

Looking forward to your impressions...the Stratus seems to be all the rage for the HD800, I'm sure you guys will have a blast!

Yeah the Vali. I'm gona see if it can compete with my better vintage amps at the mo :) For the price its a no brainer!

Nice-I wish I still had an m-Stage to compare side by side. I think I still might prefer it's warmer sig with the Senn overall, although they are both ridiculously good at their pricepoints. I might just give the m-Stage HPA-2 a shot in the near future-John's preliminary reports seem to indicate it's better than the original.

-Daniel

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #7,059 of 29,013

I thought you didn't get the balanced one?? Either way-do you have impressions anywhere?

-Daniel

Yeah I built a balanced one. This amp is seriously good. You don't even realize it's powered on, dead quiet. There is no shortage of power, approx. 7W into 100 ohms, and I can't even measure the output impedance with a standard DMM. Music is effortless, airy, and is the most transparent headphone amp I have never heard lol! I am currently using it with just the DA8's preamp output, but I can tell it deserves more. I wouldn't hesitate to put this in front of a much costlier DAC. Bass is also incredible, but it has no bloom, so what you get is exactly what your DAC is capable of. It really is a gem, and I can't believe no one else around here hasn't thought of getting this amp. It's also quite small, and I am wanting to put either a Khozmo or Alps quad pot inside the box. If I was to sum up this amp in one word it would be "pure".

Best,
Brunk

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #7,060 of 29,013
  Yeah I built a balanced one. This amp is seriously good. You don't even realize it's powered on, dead quiet. There is no shortage of power, approx. 7W into 100 ohms, and I can't even measure the output impedance with a standard DMM. Music is effortless, airy, and is the most transparent headphone amp I have never heard lol! I am currently using it with just the DA8's preamp output, but I can tell it deserves more. I wouldn't hesitate to put this in front of a much costlier DAC. Bass is also incredible, but it has no bloom, so what you get is exactly what your DAC is capable of. It really is a gem, and I can't believe no one else around here hasn't thought of getting this amp. It's also quite small, and I am wanting to put either a Khozmo or Alps quad pot inside the box. If I was to sum up this amp in one word it would be "pure".

Best,
Brunk

Ok I'll take it. How much? :wink: My diy skills would be terrible I bet so I have haven't pulled the trigger. Anyone sell them prebuilt?

-Daniel

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #7,061 of 29,013
  Ok I'll take it. How much? :wink: My diy skills would be terrible I bet so I have haven't pulled the trigger. Anyone sell them prebuilt?

-Daniel

I can definitely build one for you :) Just send me a PM with options you want and I'll shoot you a quote. Unity gain or higher? I recommend unity gain for HD-800. Dual Mono PSU? 7N Silver UP-OCC Wire? Volume Pot and what brand/type? Again I recommend without, so you can put a high-end pre in front of it, your call. What kind of case/color do you desire? Is a Hammond box, or Chinese headphone amp box acceptable, or do you want something nicer? 

Best,
Brunk

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #7,062 of 29,013

-Daniel

I can definitely build one for you :) Just send me a PM with options you want and I'll shoot you a quote. Unity gain or higher? I recommend unity gain for HD-800. Dual Mono PSU? 7N Silver UP-OCC Wire? Volume Pot and what brand/type? Again I recommend without, so you can put a high-end one in front of it, your call. What kind of case/color do you desire? Is a Hammond box, or Chinese headphone amp box acceptable, or do you want something nicer? 

Best,
Brunk

Altoids metal box for heat sink properties.

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #7,063 of 29,013
Dec 30, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #7,064 of 29,013
Dec 30, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #7,065 of 29,013

Stretch the can!

or use this (even has lid color options):
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/lunchbots-uno-stainless-lunch-container-stainless-lid-1-container/1y-1005?sourceType=sc&source=PG&cm_mmc=PriceGrabber-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&utm_source=PriceGrabber&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=Lunchbots&utm_content=1Y-1005&mr:referralID=add814ea-71a7-11e3-beb7-001b2166c2c0#.UsH9pv-A3mE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back