The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #271 of 28,989
Quote:
I got a top of the line CD player and DAC and headphone amplifier right now. I don't have a top of the line full sized open headphone now.

How does the HD-800 compare to the PS-1000? Which is more accurate and neutral?

I have to think about either one pretty hard before I make a decision. I don't live near an audio dealer so I can audition them before getting either one.

Quote:

This isn't even close.  Grado hasn't been in the conversation now for an easy 5+ years.  Get the HD800 if that's your entire short list.

Exactly...I wouldn't consider any current production Grado as "accurate" or "neutral". Pretty far from it. Actually my favourite current production Grado is the RS-1i and closely followed by the PS500. That said, in terms of accuracy and neutrality, the HD800s are much better than the PS1000s.

Feb 24, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #272 of 28,989
The fact that there is a conflict between the manufacturer's policy and what is stated on the website, it's only logical to doubt. I'm a very thorough person and I don't go around trusting whatever stores say, without secondary confirmation, because everyone makes mistakes.

Quote:
Then you can order from headroom pay the 1500.00 and you can have your piece of mind. i believe Crutchfield but for the extra 400.00 get piece of mind

Feb 24, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #273 of 28,989
Thank you for the confirmation. Looks like Crutchfield holds an exception with Sennheiser. What's your S/N?
Quote:
Hey guys I bought my HD800 from Crutchfield last week for $1100 and when I registered for my frequency graph I was sent an email from Sennheiser stating that I would have 2 years warranty from the day I purchased it.  So the warranty is indeed two years from Sennheiser themselves.

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #275 of 28,989
Are the HD-800's all about "wow" factor or are do they let the music shine through and speak for itself? I want a full sized open design headphone that will continue to satisfy me not because they're fun to listen to, but because they let the music flow through with the fewest sonic coloration possible. I want the music to shine through with the highest degree of accuracy and transparency.

I'm thinking there's no other than the HD-800's in this regard.

I am seriously thinking about getting them in about two more months.

Are you still satisfied long term with yours?

Would you recommend them to me?

What makes them less than perfect?

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #276 of 28,989
Quote:

This isn't even close.  Grado hasn't been in the conversation now for an easy 5+ years.  Get the HD800 if that's your entire short list.

Where can I see a HD800 vs. HE-500 frequency response?

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #277 of 28,989
Are the HD-800's all about "wow" factor or are do they let the music shine through and speak for itself? I want a full sized open design headphone that will continue to satisfy me not because they're fun to listen to, but because they let the music flow through with the fewest sonic coloration possible. I want the music to shine through with the highest degree of accuracy and transparency.

I'm thinking there's no other than the HD-800's in this regard.

I am seriously thinking about getting them in about two more months.

Are you still satisfied long term with yours?

Would you recommend them to me?

What makes them less than perfect?

Not wow factor at all. Perhaps at first the extreme resolution will shock you coming from other headphones, but it gives way to understanding this is how it should sound anyway. As far as free from coloration, I think only the SR-009 can make any reasonable claim for that. The HD800 is certainly one of the best but not entirely perfect.

I've had mine for almost a year and am planning on basing everything I do for the next few years with them as my primary cans.

They sound like they suit your needs perfectly, unless you have $10k to dump into SR-009 and high end stat amp to go along with whatever high end source you may need to get.

Less than perfect - mids could use some smoothing and body. Treble can sound harsh when it's extremely busy up there. Otherwise, perfect for me. Here's my review with the LCD-2 and HD800: http://www.head-fi.org/t/652394/my-take-on-lcd-2-and-hd800

Where can I see a HD800 vs. HE-500 frequency response?

http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #279 of 28,989
Quote:
Are the HD-800's all about "wow" factor

They don't have a "wow" factor to me.
What could impress:
- the clean sound
- the big and natural  soundstage
- the quite realistic mid bass (just listen  to a gong, or similar it's almost as if it's physically present).
- the pleasing mids (you wanna hear more voices).

I  wish they were more "aggressive" , when it's the character of the music, but  perhaps the laid back soundstage doesn't suit every genres.
They are not for "bass heads" either (I  won't imagine someone  bobbing their head with them).

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #282 of 28,989
Anybody who owned or still own W5000 and *like their signature* what was the most noticeable when switching to HD800, details, soundstage, more natural timbre, something else?

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #283 of 28,989
HD800 are possibly the most comfortable high-end headphone from all... Superlight and almost zero clamping force.

The HD800's are light and very comfortable. Better even than my 650's....

Thanks lads. Thus far, these things haven't interested me much since I'm not really a fan of Senn and I think they are butt ugly - but finding my curiosity starting to get the better of me somewhat (damn :frowning2: ) ...

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #284 of 28,989
How does the HD-800 compare to the Etymotic ER-4S in terms of accuracy and neutrality? If you have both, then I'd appreciate a comparison. I know these are different products, but I'm looking for something that is very close, but with a much bigger sound stage and wider dynamic range without compromising accuracy. In other words, I realize the purpose of the HD-800s, but I want to know if they can be used as full sized open headphones for recording engineers, producers, mixers, and audio engineers. I just don't see the HD-800s used widely in recording studios because of their size and cost. These are more for audiophiles with deep pockets like myself. I'm looking for dynamic drivers that can be used in unbalanced mode to listen to live and pre-recorded music to spot recording problems.

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #285 of 28,989
Quote:
I'm looking for dynamic drivers that can be used in unbalanced mode to listen to live and pre-recorded music to spot recording problems.

From what I've understood , the hd800 are not very used by "audio engineers", and it's not just a matter of cost.
The hd600/hd650 are more popular for music production, although they tend to to be forgiving on flaws.
I remind someone using the hd600 to remove noise hiss, and then after using speakers, realizing that the noise was still there. My srh940 does the opposite, it makes noise related flaws more obvious .

A the tombraiderforums, there's a "remastered" version of the tomb raider soundtrack, and I  know the hd800 was used to do the remastering .

EDIT: "professionals" discussing what could be the best headphone (for monitoring/mixing/mastering/producing electronic music)

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=242636&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=hd800&start=0

I guess I could find similar thread at gearslutz. I know steve hoffman like the hd600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back