The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 30, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #24,211 of 29,013
SDR helps to tame the 6khz peak . then the masking effect of the peak is less strong hence the fact mids/hig mids sound less recessed. IMO, IME, YMMV. 

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #24,214 of 29,013
Shortcoming is maybe the Sonarwork prebuilt EQ settings won't be as appropriate anymore ? in case, you'll need to use a parametric EQ and do the job yourself.

Another point for people interested in SDR:

I sold three pairs to a professional studio a few days ago. they told me they finely "tuned" the SDR with very fine adjustement of the fit. they did it by ears and after that they used a Spectrum analyzer in order to be sure the two channels had exactly the same tuning.

Fit matters. Take care of how you put the SDR in your HD800, check my instructions and video to do it properly :)  

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #24,215 of 29,013
This thread is at its best when it's initiating new HD800 owners. It's like a mini christmas.

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #24,216 of 29,013
  SDR is the real deal. It's a very inexpensive way to make the hd800 more musical and enjoyable. 

I see absolutely no downside.

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #24,217 of 29,013

I see absolutely no downside.

yeah, it's a great product/mod.  as Sorrodje mentioned, the only possible downsides are if you're using a stock calibrated EQ setting (a la sonarworks) or you aren't careful with the fit.  But for people going straight out of a DAC and amp, it's great.  I like the controllability of sonarworks, otherwise I would absolutely have a SDR in my HD800.  Also, I think it completely does away with any need to "upgrade" to a HD800S.

Nov 30, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #24,218 of 29,013

yeah, it's a great product/mod.  as Sorrodje mentioned, the only possible downsides are if you're using a stock calibrated EQ setting (a la sonarworks) or you aren't careful with the fit. 

Have we been able to describe the hallmarks of an imperfect fit? How can we tell?

Nov 30, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #24,219 of 29,013
Back from work and doing some more listening.

I'm amazed that pop/electronic sounds so amazing, even unmodded through a SS amp.  The T90s made pop/electronic virtually unlistenable.  Not only is it listenable on the HD800, it is revealing previously hidden layers to the music.

And GOD they are so comfortable.  I am not used to having nothing touching my ears!  The cups are so ridiculously roomy.  They make the HD6XX feel positively claustrophobic in comparison.

I removed the dust covers to see what effect it would have.  It sounds ever so slightly more clear (especially the upper mids), but seems to lose a slight bit of the holographic feel of the soundstage.  I am debating whether to keep them in or not.

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #24,220 of 29,013
  Have we been able to describe the hallmarks of an imperfect fit? How can we tell?

The creatology ring ( with the little hole) must be flush to the top of the hole and the closed side of the resonator fully at the bottom of the hole. Then the SDR is fully stretched in the HD800 hole.  Wrong fit is when the resonator is squeashed in the hole. In that case it behaves like any damping material and not as a resonator. 

That's it. 

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #24,221 of 29,013

The creatology ring ( with the little hole) must be flush to the top of the hole and the closed side of the resonator fully at the bottom of the hole. Then the SDR is fully stretched in the HD800 hole.  Wrong fit is when the resonator is squeashed in the hole. In that case it behaves like any damping material and not as a resonator. 

That's it. 

Indeed, but how is an incorrectly set resonator audibly noticeable? For example, maybe it looks right but wasn't set right. How can we tell?

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #24,222 of 29,013
Also, have you ever considered a resonator for that poor, poor, poor sack of crap HD700?

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #24,223 of 29,013
Honestly , i didn't experiment bad and good fit to tell you how is the difference. measurements show us the good fit is the best. that's all.  

Moreover, I'm not that much into headphone mods. I did that for the HD800 because it's my favorite headphones and the one I use daily. 

Nov 30, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #24,224 of 29,013
The LC is no better solution for the hd800 than the Jot IMO. For the money the Vali 2 with a decent tube may be your best bet. Possibly a used Valhalla 2 would also fit your bill, not as "wet" sounding as the vali 2 though. 

Or better yet a Bottlehead Crack.Seen a few in the classifieds & they are priced around the Jotunheim price.

A tube amp will definitely help with adding more wet & lush sound.

Nov 30, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #24,225 of 29,013
They are starting to sound a bit less dry to me now... probably brain burn in, but I am just loving them more and more all the time.  So much layered goodness and holographic euphony.  Raidohead never sounded better.  Everything I play just sounds 10 times better than it ever has.  This is how music should sound.  Now just need a Gumby or Yggy and I am THERE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back