The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #21,796 of 29,010
@cscales, thanks. Amp recommendations always depend on budget and desired sound. From a general standpoint, I can tell you that this is the route I would go at some pretty common price points:

< $500 - Bottlehead Crack + Speedball
< $1000 - Cavalli Liquid Carbon
< $1500 - Questyle CMA800R
< $2000 - Cavalli Liquid Crimson @ show special price
< $3000 - DNA Stratus
< $4000 - Cavalli Liquid Gold

Subjectively, of the stuff on that list, the Crimson and Stratus are my favorites. The Crimson is still a steal, even at full price.

How is the Taurus MKII in comparison to a DNA status or Cavalli Liquid Gold? Are they much better?

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #21,798 of 29,010
Take a look at my gallery. It's pretty much all there in pictures.  Basically, Schiit {Bifrost Uber, Lyr with lots of tubes, Vali}, Woo {WA7 & WA6}, Naim DAC-V1 {which I still have, use and love but it's in my main AV system now - way under rated but see Jude's review in the Buyers Guide} and then the major jump to the McIntosh.

Quote:
MickeyVee, what path amp wise did you follow leading up to the McIntosh?

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #21,799 of 29,010
[@=/u/418728/cscales]@cscales[/@], thanks. Amp recommendations always depend on budget and desired sound. From a general standpoint, I can tell you that this is the route I would go at some pretty common price points:

< $500 - Bottlehead Crack + Speedball

< $1000 - Cavalli Liquid Carbon

< $1500 - Questyle CMA800R

< $2000 - Cavalli Liquid Crimson @ show special price

< $3000 - DNA Stratus

< $4000 - Cavalli Liquid Gold

Subjectively, of the stuff on that list, the Crimson and Stratus are my favorites. The Crimson is still a steal, even at full price.

How is the Taurus MKII in comparison to a DNA status or Cavalli Liquid Gold? Are they much better?

I've spent a total of maybe 15 minutes with the Taurus. I don't really have enough experience with it to offer any real comparative value. I remember liking it and thinking it was less dry than some people make it out to be, but that's about it. Sorry! :)

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #21,800 of 29,010

I've the Naim V1 on loan those last days and Indeed it"s very good. I'm really surprised. Clean and clear , detailed but not boring or ungaging. very nice pairing with my HD800/HD800S.  

Jan 24, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #21,801 of 29,010

I've the Naim V1 on loan those last days and Indeed it"s very good. I'm really surprised. Clean and clear , detailed but not boring or ungaging. very nice pairing with my HD800/HD800S.  

The VI is indeed a nice piece of kit.  Used as a DAC only its really something special also IMO,  the way Naim implemented the BB1791A is nothing short of astounding not to mention the fact that it utilizes one of Naims stellar power supplies.

Definately underated around here.

I'm hanging onto mine (not selling), running it through the 430HA as I type this (fixed mode).  Has an energy to it thats addicting and detailed all the while mainatining a non digital glare / harshness to it.

Admittedly though Ive always had a soft spot for Naim.

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #21,802 of 29,010
Why the latest firmware update, the Naim DAC V1 now does DSD though I don't have any files to test it.  Also, it's supposed to sound better overall.  Worth installing it.

Quote:

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #21,803 of 29,010
Yup. never paid attention to that Naim V1 but you can consider me as impressed. Vivid/clear/detailed yet not harsh . Good soundstage  and very engaging - maybe not what I could call "natural sounding" but it eats easily a hugo for diner. 
biggrin.gif
 . Sincerely I didnt know the price when I received that beast but when I discovered it , i wasn't that surprised to be honest. 

Not for people who want warm/gooey stuff for their HD800 though. 

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #21,804 of 29,010
  Why the latest firmware update, the Naim DAC V1 now does DSD though I don't have any files to test it.  Also, it's supposed to sound better overall.  Worth installing it.

Quote:

Very true M.V....if you recall I sent you an IM back in Dec mentioning the 1.16 update with the DSD support now added lol.

I am enjoyng the recent update and agree it does offer a better "window" into the music.  Although there are still a few detractrors on the Naim forums who appreciate the older 1.6 firmware still.

FWIW check out http://bluecoastmusic.com/free-downloads for some slightly more obscure artists in DSD format.  Great way to sample some of the V1's new feature set without spending $$
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #21,805 of 29,010
  Yup. never paid attention to that Naim V1 but you can consider me as impressed. Vivid/clear/detailed yet not harsh . Good soundstage  and very engaging - maybe not what I could call "natural sounding" but it eats easily a hugo for diner. 
biggrin.gif
 . Sincerely I didnt know the price when I received that beast but when I discovered it , i wasn't that surprised to be honest. 

Not for people who want warm/gooey stuff for their HD800 though. 

Good to hear you are enjoying it.

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #21,806 of 29,010
My stock cable accumulated some damage on the left channel right after the headphone connector causing it to crackle when moved (wish Senn used better stress relief near the connectors). I ended up picking up a Cardas Clear Light as a replacement. No sound quality comments, since the Senn cable was partially broken. The Cardas cable is thinner yet less flexible than the Senn cable, but doesn't make the mistake Senn made and is fabric coated along the entire cable (the rubber on the upper part of the senn cable split a little, causing the issue). The upper part is very thin, which isn't ideal (I do worry about having this issue again, HD800 cables are stupidly expensive), but since I paid half the price of a new stock HD800 cable, I'm pretty happy with it. :)

Anyone else using cardas cables? What are your thoughts?

Jan 25, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #21,807 of 29,010
  My stock cable accumulated some damage on the left channel right after the headphone connector causing it to crackle when moved (wish Senn used better stress relief near the connectors). I ended up picking up a Cardas Clear Light as a replacement. No sound quality comments, since the Senn cable was partially broken. The Cardas cable is thinner yet less flexible than the Senn cable, but doesn't make the mistake Senn made and is fabric coated along the entire cable (the rubber on the upper part of the senn cable split a little, causing the issue). The upper part is very thin, which isn't ideal (I do worry about having this issue again, HD800 cables are stupidly expensive), but since I paid half the price of a new stock HD800 cable, I'm pretty happy with it. :)

Anyone else using cardas cables? What are your thoughts?

I have a Cardas cable from c3 audio. It's not as flexible as I would have liked but has held up in terms of build quality. I don't recall the stock cable being that bad in terms of build quality (but pretty bad in terms of tangling and such) the first time I owned them when I used the stock cable. I'd probably go with another cable if I had to do it over again due to the flexibility but I don't use the HD800 enough to warrant another cable purchase. 

Jan 25, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #21,808 of 29,010
  Hey guys, I'm new here. 

Hopefully this is the right thread to ask this. If not, I'll edit my post (I apologize). I recently got the HD800. Been dreaming about getting them ever since they first were released. The money was finally right, and so was the timing. So I grabbed one for my birthday/christmas gift. But I made the classic mistake of not having the proper equipment to drive them (so I bought the headphone first, rather than the set up to properly use them). I know, really stupid. I guess I've just been dreaming about them for so long, I let it finally get the better of me. (I actually cried when I finally got them).

That said, I currently have the Anax Mod 2.0 installed. I have a Schiit Lyr amp, and a Fiio E17 DAC. I'm doing all this from my PC. Personally, I'm in love with the HD800 sound. I guess maybe it's because I'm a casual audiophile, but they are blowing my mind. But I also know that I'm not getting the best out of my headphones (I've tried properly DAC/AMP versions before, so I know the difference in sound). 

Being realistic, I have an $800 budget to get a decent DAC/AMP combo. I know that's not enough, and I'm not expecting to get the best out of my headphones. I plan on getting a really nice DAC/AMP in 3 years. So I'm basically trying to get a decent DAC/AMP to hold me over for 3 years. 

I've considered the Magni Uber 2 and Modi Uber 2 + Wyrd stack. But I've also read that they are too clinical/bright with the HD800, so they aren't a good pair. Also, since I already have the Lyr amp, wouldn't that be a downgrade? I assume my DAC would be a better upgrade though (since I'm currently using the E17). The Magni/Modi/Wyrd stack is very tempting, given the price. And they look so sleek and sexy. But I've also read that might not be the best route.

I think going  to the Magni + Modi would be a downgrade from what you have. At least in for the AMP stage.  The Lyr is no slouch as an AMP on your budget. Given that you plan a major upgrade in at some point, I think you'd do well to leave that in the chain.  As many people have noted, just roll the tubes. The stock tubes that come in Schiit products are just enough to get you going, putting some good tubes in greatly enhances performance.  My fav are the Telefunken E88CC, though the Amperex Orange Globes are much cheaper and huge jump up from the the stock tubes. 

I  it's also been suggested that you upgrade the DAC to the Bimby ( Schiit Bifrost Multibit ). I would second that. It's a pretty major step up from the Fiio DAC ( I have the x5ii  and the Bimby is much clearer, especially when there is alot of intruments in the music ). Orange Globes ( $120 - $150 ) +  Bimby ( $699 )  is near  to your budget. If the budget needs to be under $800 the Bifrost Uber is also very nice and might allow you to get some Telefunkens.  If you are planning a major upgrade in the future you may find that you don't need to upgrade from the Bimby, that's an endgame DAC for alot of people.

Jan 25, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #21,809 of 29,010
Just got my HD800S a few hours ago, and comparing it to my existing HD800. So far, it doesn't seem like a true upgrade, merely yet another side-grade. Air is traded off with the reduced treble and fatigue, bass is more perceptible due to reduced treble but not any more impactful. Massed vocals, especially female, just do not sound as compelling as on the stock HD800, a bit muted & distant and lacking energy. Instrument timbres for violins and cellos are a bit richer & fuller. I can listen to more poorly recorded material without wincing, but it isn't engaging, doesn't have that soaring, thrilling contrast between highs and lows.

The HD800 is to me a pretty laid back headphone on most studio recorded music with moments of excitement, now with the reduced treble of the HD800S and the mids remaining unaffected placement-wise, they sound almost boring. I prefer the HD800 at the moment by quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back