The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #17,252 of 28,989
I paid $1696 USD including shipping and duties to the USA. I bought my M9 when Audio GD was offering a 5% discount. I think Roguegeek lives in California so his shipping cost might be less than mine.

That's very good price,

Mar 1, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #17,253 of 28,989
Mar 1, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #17,254 of 28,989
Yeah, both are end game SS amps for HD 800.

With all the TOTL amps and cans at your disposal, I don't think there is anything that will blow you away anymore. :)

Mar 1, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #17,255 of 28,989
On a different note ... after a good year with the HD800 I replaced the ear pads for the first time.
I checked online how to get the old one off and it worked OK.
You need to force your fingers between the pads and the frame quite a bit and of course you don't want to damage anything, so it's a bit finicky.

But once the old pads are off the real fun starts...
I got the new pads directly from Sennheiser. The plastic foil covering the snap on frame of the new pads is quite stiff, so trying the snap the pads back on the frame and work your way all around without having them snap out on the other end again turned out to be a real challenge for my patience
mad.gif
. Finally I put the headphone with the pad loosely in position with the driver facing down on the edge of the table, the second cup below the table. Then putting pressure on the frame and working my way around to snap the pad frame into position. What a pain in the ...
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #17,257 of 28,989
  On a different note ... after a good year with the HD800 I replaced the ear pads for the first time.
I checked online how to get the old one off and it worked OK.
You need to force your fingers between the pads and the frame quite a bit and of course you don't want to damage anything, so it's a bit finicky.

But once the old pads are off the real fun starts...
I got the new pads directly from Sennheiser. The plastic foil covering the snap on frame of the new pads is quite stiff, so trying the snap the pads back on the frame and work your way all around without having them snap out on the other end again turned out to be a real challenge for my patience
mad.gif
. Finally I put the headphone with the pad loosely in position with the driver facing down on the edge of the table, the second cup below the table. Then putting pressure on the frame and working my way around to snap the pad frame into position. What a pain in the ...
biggrin.gif

Did you finally get them on?  I just bought new pads and have been procrastinating putting them on...
blink.gif

A simple question for some HD800 owners out there: do these phones break a lot?

This has recently become an important quality for me as my LCD3s go back into the shop for the second time.

Not that I have seen, have had mine for over two years and no issues.

Mar 1, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #17,258 of 28,989
  A simple question for some HD800 owners out there: do these phones break a lot?

This has recently become an important quality for me as my LCD3s go back into the shop for the second time.

I frequently travel with mine. Obviously I treat them well, but they have not had a problem in a couple of years of being on the road.

Mar 1, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #17,262 of 28,989
  Did you finally get them on?  I just bought new pads and have been procrastinating putting them on...
blink.gif

Yes, finally I succeeded. Usually I am pretty patient when it come to get things fixed. This job was really stretching it, literally 
biggrin.gif
It's all depending on the strength/thickness of the foil. The "anchors" of the pad frame that need to snap into place in the cup frame are covered by this foil, you are not cutting it. Pressure will be needed to stretch that foil to allow getting them into place. Maybe warming the pad foil with a hair drier to soften it a bit might be a good idea.

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #17,264 of 28,989
I'm going to be ditching the HD800's....at least for a while. I'm ready to try Stax! 
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #17,265 of 28,989
  Just for kicks, I paired the Dragonfly 1.2 with the HD800s. I'm surprised that this AMP/DAC, despite its diminutive size, can actually power the HD800s (and quite decently, at that). o.O

I also used a dragonfly with hd800 for some time. It's quite good and I think differences between amps/dacs with hd800 are overrated. But I have to admit, unfortunately DF can't be used with BA In Ears because because it has extreme hiss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back