The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 28, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #17,236 of 28,989

1. AURALiC Taurus MKII: $1899, ss, single-ended, balanced, RCA+balanced preamp
  2. Schiit Ragnarok: $1499, ss, single-ended, balanced, RCA preamp, balanced preamp?
  3. Questyle CMA800R: $1499, ss, single-ended (2), balanced, RCA preamp
  4. Senn HDVA 600: $1499, ss, single-ended (2), balanced (2), balanced preamp?
  5. Lehmannaudio Linear SE: ss, single-ended (2), RCA preamp
  6. Bryston BHA-1: $1395, ss, single-ended, balanced (2), balanced preamp?
  7. Luxman P-1u: ss, single-ended (2), RCA preamp

This will help you with Schiit Ragnarok question (oh and it is listed as $1699 on the Schiit site):

I did get to audition it at CanJam and it does sound nice my HD800's.

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #17,237 of 28,989
Hola gentlemen. It's been a little while since I've been on this thread. Probably around 10 months or so. When I last left, I had my HD 800 paired with a Crack/Speedball and was on a journey to find a good SS amp. Life got in the way, as it always does, and nothing has changed, but I'm still enjoying the hell out of my cans. I'm still looking for that amp and my requirements haven't changed.

• solid-state
  • no integrated DAC
  • single-ended headphone outputs and a preamp to run powered speakers
  • pairs exceptional with the HD 800: keep the signature neutral, maybe warm it up a tad, compliment the soundstage, separation, detail, and resolution
  • pairs well with other popular headphones and IEMs
  • ≈$1500, but will go higher if the argument is made
  • optionally, balanced headphone outputs would be nice

This was my original list back then. I've ruled out a couple since and have elevated some.

• AURALiC Taurus MKII: $1899, ss, single-ended, balanced, RCA+balanced preamp
  • Schiit Ragnarok: $1499, ss, single-ended, balanced, RCA preamp, [COLOR=FF0000]balanced preamp?[/COLOR]
  • Questyle CMA800R: $1499, ss, single-ended (2), balanced, RCA preamp
  • Senn HDVA 600: $1499, ss, single-ended (2), balanced (2), [COLOR=FF0000]balanced preamp?[/COLOR]
  • Lehmannaudio Linear SE: ss, single-ended (2), RCA preamp
  • Bryston BHA-1: $1395, ss, single-ended, balanced (2), [COLOR=FF0000]balanced preamp?[/COLOR]
  • Luxman P-1u: ss, single-ended (2), RCA preamp

The Taurus MKII is at the top based solely on objective functions available and the stellar reviews I've read here and from other sources. Looks like it hit all of my requirements and worked with with a ton of cans. So then onto the questions. Has there been any update since that time that I should know about in terms of the subject I'm tackling? I know there was talk about the Ragnarok and it looks very very interesting, but it wasn't widely available at the time I was looking. Function is definitely there, but how did that one go over with everyone? Should the Taurus MKII still be a top choice for me, considering what I'm looking for? Any other amps I should be looking at?

Thanks all!

Try the Violectric HPA V281.

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #17,238 of 28,989
The Ragnarok Is great in balanced headphone output, however I was not impressed with its single-ended headphone output. I would look for another amp if you only prefer a single-ended headphone output.

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #17,239 of 28,989
  Hola gentlemen. It's been a little while since I've been on this thread. Probably around 10 months or so. When I last left, I had my HD 800 paired with a Crack/Speedball and was on a journey to find a good SS amp. Life got in the way, as it always does, and nothing has changed, but I'm still enjoying the hell out of my cans. I'm still looking for that amp and my requirements haven't changed.

1. solid-state
  2. no integrated DAC
  3. single-ended headphone outputs and a preamp to run powered speakers
  4. pairs exceptional with the HD 800: keep the signature neutral, maybe warm it up a tad, compliment the soundstage, separation, detail, and resolution
  5. pairs well with other popular headphones and IEMs
  6. ≈$1500, but will go higher if the argument is made
  7. optionally, balanced headphone outputs would be nice

This was my original list back then. I've ruled out a couple since and have elevated some.

2. Schiit Ragnarok: $1499, ss, single-ended, balanced, RCA preamp, balanced preamp?

The Taurus MKII is at the top based solely on objective functions available and the stellar reviews I've read here and from other sources. Looks like it hit all of my requirements and worked with with a ton of cans. So then onto the questions. Has there been any update since that time that I should know about in terms of the subject I'm tackling? I know there was talk about the Ragnarok and it looks very very interesting, but it wasn't widely available at the time I was looking. Function is definitely there, but how did that one go over with everyone? Should the Taurus MKII still be a top choice for me, considering what I'm looking for? Any other amps I should be looking at?

Thanks all!

The Taurus is a stunning amp but there are things to consider among your choices. I use the Taurus extensively with the HD800 and I find that it is best to turn down the digital volume -6db in my software (HQPlayer in my case) in order to get better control of the volume pot. The Taurus packs a great deal of power, particularly from the balanced output and the HD800 is rather sensitive. If you don't want to set your digital software for a -6bd output from your computer, then you will find your volume knob around 9 o'clock for comfortable listening. I also use the Taurus with iem's and it is silent, black background but it is necessary to set the digital volume control in my software for -6bd or the pot on the Taurus simply does not have enough room to adjust. The Taurus is a very high gain amp meant to drive difficult ortho's although it is not really the best solution for the HE6 it will drive all others with ease. The sound with the Taurus is very hard to beat even at much higher price points. I consider it an end game solid state amp.

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #17,240 of 28,989
The King of Solid State Headphone Amps, in my opinion, is the fully balanced Luxman P700u.  Fabulous with the HD800.   

A great example of the Japanese just taking things too far: 

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #17,241 of 28,989
  The King of Solid State Headphone Amps, in my opinion, is the fully balanced Luxman P700u.  Fabulous with the HD800.   

A great example of the Japanese just taking things too far: 

I have been a fan of Luxman for over 35 years. Amazing build quality!

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #17,242 of 28,989

1. solid-state
  2. no integrated DAC
  4. pairs exceptional with the HD 800: keep the signature neutral, maybe warm it up a tad, compliment the soundstage, separation, detail, and resolution

Snip

Thanks all!

One thing to take into account is that the price of The Rok is considerably less for the same amount of techno-marvelousness as other amps due to their sales and distribution system (direct sales only) approach.

Of course being a tad biased (owning The Rok) and not having spent any time with the other candidates on your list that does tend to skew my advice.

However if you do go with The Rok know that it only really 'sings' when driving a balanced set of HP's & speakers.
The input (SE or Bal) probably doesn't matter much (but I can't really say one way or the other because I only run a full balanced set up).
But using the balanced output is the only real way to truly hear what this amp can do.

It reminds me of the smoke theory of electronics.

When the smoke escapes the device from whence it came it has now become but a shadow of its former self…
This also applies to the non-balanced headphone (1/4" jack) in that it the 'magic' never really gets thru to that output…
So include whatever is necessary in order to run balanced HP's if you do choose The Rok.

JJ

Mar 1, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #17,243 of 28,989
One thing to take into account is that the price of The Rok is considerably less for the same amount of techno-marvelousness as other amps due to their sales and distribution system (direct sales only) approach.

Of course being a tad biased (owning The Rok) and not having spent any time with the other candidates on your list that does tend to skew my advice.

However if you do go with The Rok know that it only really 'sings' when driving a balanced set of HP's & speakers.
The input (SE or Bal) probably doesn't matter much (but I can't really say one way or the other because I only run a full balanced set up).
But using the balanced output is the only real way to truly hear what this amp can do.

It reminds me of the smoke theory of electronics.

When the smoke escapes the device from whence it came it has now become but a shadow of its former self…
This also applies to the non-balanced headphone (1/4" jack) in that it the 'magic' never really gets thru to that output…
So include whatever is necessary in order to run balanced HP's if you do choose The Rok.

JJ

Cant remember which thread I read, but I remember someone reviewing top amp for the HD800 and the out come was Rog > GSX MKII > Luxman p700p

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #17,244 of 28,989
Cant remember which thread I read, but I remember someone reviewing top amp for the HD800 and the out come was Rog > GSX MKII > Luxman p700p

The Rok certainly has it's shortcomings, but SQ isn't one of them.

As for those other amps I can't really say, (having never listened to them) but I can say The Rok is a headphone amp unlike any other.

It will either 'measure up' to one's requirements, or not.

But like any audiophool device it isn't meant to provde all of the 'features' any and everyone wants.
Instead it is an optimal example of how to take a specific design and maximize it's operation, with the resultant benefit that it kicks the highest rung of headphone amps in the butt, in numerous ways.

Some may desire these attributes, while others may not.

Choices, choices…

JJ

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #17,245 of 28,989
Here's the review of the ROK comparing with GS-X and Black Diamond

http://www.head-fi.org/t/740568/top-shelf-solid-state-with-hd800s

Mar 1, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #17,246 of 28,989

1. solid-state
  2. no integrated DAC

Thanks all!

You definitely need to include the B.M.C Puredac to your list!

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #17,247 of 28,989

• solid-state
  • no integrated DAC
  • single-ended headphone outputs and a preamp to run powered speakers
  • pairs exceptional with the HD 800: keep the signature neutral, maybe warm it up a tad, compliment the soundstage, separation, detail, and resolution
  • pairs well with other popular headphones and IEMs
  • ≈$1500, but will go higher if the argument is made
  • optionally, balanced headphone outputs would be nice

• AURALiC Taurus MKII: $1899, ss, single-ended, balanced, RCA+balanced preamp
  • Schiit Ragnarok: $1499, ss, single-ended, balanced, RCA preamp, [COLOR=FF0000]balanced preamp?[/COLOR]
  • Questyle CMA800R: $1499, ss, single-ended (2), balanced, RCA preamp
  • Senn HDVA 600: $1499, ss, single-ended (2), balanced (2), [COLOR=FF0000]balanced preamp?[/COLOR]
  • Lehmannaudio Linear SE: ss, single-ended (2), RCA preamp
  • Bryston BHA-1: $1395, ss, single-ended, balanced (2), [COLOR=FF0000]balanced preamp?[/COLOR]
  • Luxman P-1u: ss, single-ended (2), RCA preamp

Thanks all!

I would add the Audio GD Master 9 to your list. The M9 is a fully balanced headphone amp and preamp with no integrated DAC. Cost is $1550 plus shipping. Outputs 9 watts of full class A power into 40 ohms. It has balanced and SE preamp outputs. It mates up very well with my HD800 with Zeus 19 OCC Cu hardwired cable and it drives planars very well too such as the HE6 and LCD X. The M9 is dead silent (no hiss) with low impedance high sensitivity headphones like the Denon D7000. It comes with a nice remote as well.

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #17,248 of 28,989
I would add the Audio GD Master 9 to your list. The M9 is a fully balanced headphone amp and preamp with no integrated DAC. Cost is $1550 plus shipping. Outputs 9 watts of full class A power into 40 ohms. It has balanced and SE preamp outputs. It mates up very well with my HD800 with Zeus 19 OCC Cu hardwired cable and it drives planars very well too such as the HE6 and LCD X. The M9 is dead silent (no hiss) with low impedance high sensitivity headphones like the Denon D7000. It comes with a nice remote as well.

Master 9 is really an excellent amp. Tried it with my HD800 and I was blown away by it the same way I was blown away by Ragnarok.

If you are in the US though, ROK may prove to be cheaper if you consider the shipping, paypal fees, etc for Audio-gd amp.

Mar 1, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #17,250 of 28,989
Master 9 is really an excellent amp. Tried it with my HD800 and I was blown away by it the same way I was blown away by Ragnarok.

If you are in the US though, ROK may prove to be cheaper if you consider the shipping, paypal fees, etc for Audio-gd amp.

I paid $1696 USD including shipping and duties to the USA. I bought my M9 when Audio GD was offering a 5% discount. I think Roguegeek lives in California so his shipping cost might be less than mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back