The most important and basic aspect of all
Apr 20, 2010 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sachu

Headphoneus Supremus
in an audio system is sadly left by the wayside by most of us I feel. Till about a year ago i was only concerning myself with auditioning different equipment individually. However, i've heard and read about the importance of system working in cohesion since long before, but like most audiophiles had been too busy just chasing gear.

Couple of days ago when i went over to my friend's house to listen to his headphones and compare mine with his, I was surprised mine were sounding so off and dull. I just couldn't believe it. I left his place thinking, " I should sell off this headphone". So it was a pleasant surprise when i came back home plugged it into my system, riffled through the same music i listened to at my friend's place and a big wide smile spread across my face. The very same headphones were (correction..IS
biggrin.gif
) sounding glorious! I was so taken aback that i immediately spoke to my friend about it and he came back to me with one word.. SYNERGY!!

I just wonder if most of us are just missing this aspect all the while knowing how important it is to get to aural nirvana.

I wanted to share these thoughts as it came a revelation to me. I can say that I am extremely happy with where my system is currently. Would love to hear some comments on this.

Apr 20, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's why I was saying the CTH was really doing it for me better than the stacker was..
smily_headphones1.gif

I will have to revisit the CTH sometime soon here with you stating this now Gary, especially since we both have quite similar tastes. Implement some of your mods, cause in the stock form the CTH just wasn't in the league of the Stacker. I do believe it is the low output impedance on your CTH ( i think with R18 shorted it is about 4 ohms, else normal setup is 104 ohms) that is making the big difference since orthos relish that.

Apr 20, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 9
Wow! Synergy...what a revelation! Thanks for sharing.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! Synergy...what a revelation! Thanks for sharing.
rolleyes.gif

While you may jest and post sarcastically, you'd be surprised how many folks even on this forum just chase after gear. Hence my first few lines. I don't think you even bothered to read my OP.

I am putting this down cause while I've been in this hobby for close to a decade now and having repeatedly informed about the importance of synergy, chose to ignore it (i put it down to the subconscious aspect of it) for the most part. I think the human brain is more coerced by the thrill of hearing new gear as a single entity in a system rather than listen to the system.

You forget that we were all noobs once and it is still a continuous learning endeavor. Am guessing you've been involved with this hobby far longer than I have and have had the time to realize this. Some realize it soon, some come to know of this quite a ways down the road. This was a genuine post in the interest of reminding people about synergy. All i see regularly on this forum is about this gear and that gear.

Apr 20, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This was a genuine post in the interest of reminding people about synergy. All i see regularly on this forum is about this gear and that gear.

Not a bad thing to be reminded about something like this. It is usually in the background, but it can be critical. Most of the time I think we tend to focus on one piece of equipment (or two), and not the entire chain.

shane

Apr 20, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #7 of 9
I always think synergy is one of key players. But I don't have money to spend out on various amp, DAC lol.

An example I know of is a Gamma DAC will sound great w/ Denon but worsen a SRH440
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #8 of 9
I think this is a good post to remind some folks that synergy is more important that having the newest latest gear. I'm sure the seasoned vets are well aware of this, but there are certainly newbies that will benefit from the reminder, like myself.

I had a similar "wow" moment when I rolled in some tubes to my WA6se and the K701 headphones I was using at the time rose to an absolutely sublime level. It showed me how small changes can lead to big enjoyment, or vice versa can lead to uninspiring sound.

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #9 of 9
I like the word of the day: SYNERGY.
Etymologically speaking, it comes from the ancient Greek word syn-ergos, signified a rudimentary idea of things 'working together'.
Synergy is the cooperative action of two or more stimuli, resulting in a different or greater response than that of the individual stimuli.

P.S. I would like to check if my headphone, my amp, my source is working for the word synergy. Have you checked your equipment already?

Source: Synergy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back