The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Jul 23, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #2,252 of 4,317
Quote:
Just got these. Been out of touch with headfi iems for awhile after all i had before were dead or lost.

These are mid-way through burn in process and i'm beginning to love them. I'm not even considering the price yet. I got them through a local guy who brought over for SGD$13. These are balanced. They sound similar to my RE0s from what i recall. (They lasted me a pathetic month, too expensive to ship back over to China) I don't think beginners will truly appreciate unless they've tried around IEMs way higher than this bracket range.

Sound
Not as detailed as Fischer Audio's DBA-02 and not as bass heavy as FA's Eterna.  
A class above Meelectronic's M6 which sound too digital and fake to me.
Slightly different from Brainwavz M2. (which are really good IEMs)
Similar sounding to RE0. (Mine pathetically broke after a month, which tells you a lot and it was too expensive to ship it over for warranty.)

Fit
These are big. You need to get use to it or else you will hate it. It already hurt my ear abit wearing it around the ear method cause the housing is large but wearing it straight down is more comfortable but subjected to more microphonics. I used Sony Hybrids on mine. The stock tips are terrible. I only received one btw.

Bottomline
I already love this mid burn in, a lot of detail for a $7 IEM. Usually you get muffled crap at this price, no details no bass. This is a nice surprise. Way out of its supposed price range.
Most probably they could rope in more cash for this if it came with accessories and a proper packaging. Well just get them, if not just chuck them. These are good but don't expect good QC though, the plastic tip were slightly defective but it doesn't interfere with the sound.

LOW BUDGET IEMS AT AUDIOPHILE SQ. 
(notice how i'm comparing all the great IEMs way above the price range of the monoprice 8320. that serves as a reminder to keep in check that price does not equate best sound quality. so take everything with a pinch of salt and try it. Planning to get a couple more since these are very affordable for a poor student like me.)

Do the tape mod, it will up the bass a bit and it would more fun

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #2,253 of 4,317
I am planning on purchasing one of these but after reading how the tips are absolutely horrendous, I am in need of a few recommendations on what tips I should buy as I do not own any other IEMs with tips. I also do not want to spend 20 dollars on a huge pack of tips where only one or two of the pairs fit.

Are there any cheap yet decent tips that are somewhat universal out there?

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #2,257 of 4,317
Another possible mod is to put a bit of medium-density foam in the housing behind the driver.  It seems to warm up the sound and even out the treble a bit while boosting the bass slightly.

It might be able to fix the sibilance problems a few people have been reporting and opening up the housing gives a good excuse to switch out the crappy stock cable with something less microphonic.

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #2,259 of 4,317
Quote:
Another possible mod is to put a bit of medium-density foam in the housing behind the driver.  It seems to warm up the sound and even out the treble a bit while boosting the bass slightly.

It might be able to fix the sibilance problems a few people have been reporting and opening up the housing gives a good excuse to switch out the crappy stock cable with something less microphonic.

How do you open them up?

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #2,260 of 4,317
Quote:
Sweet! What kind of cable are people using for that mod?

I honestly just stole a cable off of a cheaper monoprice IEM, which is about equivalent to iBuds cable.  I don't think it made a difference in sound quality but I'd be curious to hear if anyone heard differences using Mogami or something else nice.

Quote:
How do you open them up?

To open the monoprices, just wedge a pocket knife or razor blade anywhere into the vertical seam around the housing and pry/twist.  It should pop open and close fairly easily.

John In Cali posted awhile back in more depth: http://www.head-fi.org/t/580769/the-monoprice-8320-mep-933-the-7-11-club/1380#post_8120268

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #2,265 of 4,317
Quote:
As everyone else is saying, please upgrade the tips. It makes a world of a difference.

Monoprice does not read head-fi, as far as I know. If you want change, contact them! They are very receptive, I contacted them with some proposed changes. If enough people write in, maybe they will at least change out the tips, and who knows what else. I have contacted the manufacturer, too about buying some of their other products...no reply, I would guess that I never receive one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back