The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Nov 23, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #346 of 4,317
Sorry to hear this is not your sound signature. I only wish monoprice would have included some more style of tips with these.. But I suppose you can't ask too much for the price payed..Give them some burn time and try n find a proper tip for them..

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #347 of 4,317
DAMN! I'm listening to Drake's new album on this, and I just cannot believe my ears! Wow! These have a pretty damn good soundstage, and good instrument separation. And the sub-bass! The only other IEM that I've heard with such a clean sub-bass rumble is my GR07. This is for sure better than the majority of IEMs under $100...and they cost only 7 bloody dollars, less than I spent at McDonalds last night...Jesus!

If someone asked me to pay $150 for these, I would not hesitate. 

Dsnuts...I love you.

The only thing is that I might end up spraying them black...they'e a bit flashy for my tastes

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #348 of 4,317

Quote:
DAMN! I'm listening to Drake's new album on this, and I just cannot believe my ears! Wow! These have a pretty damn good soundstage, and good instrument separation. And the sub-bass! The only other IEM that I've heard with such a clean sub-bass rumble is my GR07. This is for sure better than the majority of IEMs under $100...and they cost only 7 bloody dollars, less than I spent at McDonalds last night...Jesus!

If someone asked me to pay $150 for these, I would not hesitate. 

Dsnuts...I love you.

The only thing is that I might end up spraying them black...they'e a bit flashy for my tastes

Lol! ya stupid ain't it? Now you know why my thread was called the Official What thread. Now you know why I used the MONKEY!.. I know they look like mini cyberpunk robotic inserts or metal snails/ mini blow driers. I have grown to love how they look and who says you can't paint a $7.11 iem? I fully expect this thread to reveal what we can do with these. You gotta remember this is just the beginning.  I fully expect guys to customize these. All black? Custom car paint in all red? The paint will cost more than the Iem. Oh the craziness.

You try thowing up a bigger bass end eQ and listening to some of your heavier tracks? I am telling you it is nuts. My Creative Aurvana Live headphones don't touch the bass on these earphones. Not even close.

I think maybe model paint might be best on these. If you do paint them. Throw a pic or two for sure., I would love to see an all black version.

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #350 of 4,317
God damn it these are good. Really good. Really really good. Review to come (maybe).

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #351 of 4,317
I just checked the monoprice web site. Looks like they will have some for December.. Great news guys. The new estimated ship for next purchase is now 12/5/2011

For the guys that want to try them don't miss out on next purchase when they become available guys.,Based on early reaction to these from you guys. I bet next batch will sell out even faster. 

@JOnny.. You sure bout that? lol!! 

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #352 of 4,317
Just got mine in the mail today. Currently listening to them out of the box and I've got mixed feelings.

They're quite good sounding for seven dollars, much better than similarly priced iem's you'd buy at walmart or target.

As we've agreed on, the build quality on the housings is questionable, but I like the fact that these have a rope cable as opposed to a standard rubber coated wire. I quite enjoy the little chromatic plastic pieces on the jack and cable divider.

Although I knew they didn't come with other tips, I think they should at least come with some other options. Also, for the record, I found these awkward to wear with double flange tips, and could not get a proper seal.

Out of the box, they're slightly under sound quality compared to the MEE M9's, and my mother agrees with me. She's ordering a pair as I type this.

I'll let these burn in a little, and do a more extensive commentary on these. So far, I've only listened to a few tracks such as Caves by Chiodos, Crush by Pendulum, and the cover of Separate Ways by A Skylit Drive.

In the meantime, here are some pictures.

Nov 23, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #353 of 4,317
So I let these things burn in on white noise for another 18 hours or so, maybe a little longer, and they still sound thin and somewhat raspy to me (even with the Skullcrappy Jib tips which seem thicker), but the reason I'm posting is because Dsnuts mentioned a crackling noise.  I'm pretty sure this is static caused by the woven whatever it is that covers the wires.  I wear fleece a lot and I was getting all kinds of crackling noises as I was moving around, the wire was between my cotton shirt and a fleece sweatshirt.  I pulled the iPod out of my fleece pants pocket and wiggled the plug around and wasn't getting the crackling.  So I unplugged the iPod and moved the cable around a bunch and was getting even more crackling sounds then when it was plugged in!  Thus leading me to believe it's static creating that crackling.

I just tried to disprove myself but I got it again, and if I pull the cord out from between my shirt and fleece and flail it around all over the place, I get no crackling.  Get it close to touching the fleece again, and there's the crackles.

Also, the housing is plastic, I used a really small screwdriver in an attempt to unscrew the screws and guess what?  They're plastic also.  They didn't turn, the head and slot got damaged, so I wanted to see, and used an X-acto blade, and simply cut it off.  The top most screw is the one.  Then I took slices out of the housing right above the screw.  Sorry, the iPod is a terrible camera, but you should be able to see the screw head is gone, and the edge of the housing where I took a few millimeters off, it's the darker strip along the edge at the top of the "metal" plate that the "screws" are holding in place.

Nov 23, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #354 of 4,317
Well so my initial thoughts are correct. They are indeed a thick metal coated plastic. Confirmation from monoprice. The paint is so thick when I scuffed them I just saw all metal with no plastic..I am surprised at how strong these are however.. I was thinking if I stepped on any of the other iems I have. I don't know how well they would have fared.

I am wondering how these would sound in a wooden housing.

Nov 23, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #356 of 4,317
By the way fellas, I'm not trying to bash these things, or you guys or your opinion.  Just to be clear.  
cool.gif

About the tips, these things are JAMMED into my ears as far as they go.  So is the question that they aren't going in far enough?  When I have the Jib tips on these, they are in just as far as the Jib, and feel exactly the same.  

I guess it's as easy as these aren't for me, and that's a first in 20 years of hi-fi audiophile land that I can say that.  
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #357 of 4,317

Quote:
By the way fellas, I'm not trying to bash these things, or you guys or your opinion.  Just to be clear.  
cool.gif

About the tips, these things are JAMMED into my ears as far as they go.  So is the question that they aren't going in far enough?  When I have the Jib tips on these, they are in just as far as the Jib, and feel exactly the same.  

I guess it's as easy as these aren't for me, and that's a first in 16 years of hi-fi audiophile land that I can say that.  
biggrin.gif

I appreciate you trying out something on my recommend. I know these are not going to be for everyone. I mean even high end stuff not everyone likes 100% so it is to be expected..I suppose you can sell off your slightly used iem and get some money back. At least they didn't cost too much out of pocket to find out. This sound signature is not for everyone. I think these will find favor with guys that like bassier music more so than mellow.. But then to me they sound great for everything I have so it is more matter of taste.

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #358 of 4,317

Quote:
cool.gif

I guess it's as easy as these aren't for me, and that's a first in 20 years of hi-fi audiophile land that I can say that.  
biggrin.gif

It's not really about how far in its jammed. It's about the seal. the stock tips couldn't seal properly in my ear canal, so I tried my other tips. You may have to do that to find the ideal fit for your ears

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #359 of 4,317
I had the same issue. I think my left ear hole is shaped differently than my right. I could get a good seal on my right but never on my left... My little earplug mod fixed the issue for me. I redid one with a smaller tip and the way the foam expands in the ear canal helps the seal quite a bit. But beyond that. I don't expect guys that have very nice equipment to be even remotely floored by these. These have a great clean sound to them but to a high end user I don't expect these will even come close to what they are used to hearing at all..So I don't blame many that will not like these. If anything I appreciate guys being honest when trying these out. For the guys that end up getting them because of this thread. I will tell you they are worthy... Again at what sound level you think these are at is up to you..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back