The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Apr 28, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #1,967 of 4,317
Ya basically. The stock tips are very flimsy and I couldn't get a right seal on one of the sides so I started searching for better tips for these. It is almost a requirement as the one medium tips they include with these are definitely not one size fit all.. These go into your ear like a earbud with the nozzle going in toward your ear canal so a good seal is imperative or you get an overly bright sound with almost no bass.

I did a tip mod to get a better seal on the beginning of the thread but the better material/ quality on the Sony hybrids I didn't need to stuff foam underneath to get good sound..Triple flange tips are for deep insertion. If anyone else that tried triple flange tips can chime in.  I have no idea how those would sound on these. I do have double flange tips but found the hybrids to be the best for me.

One last thing. Different tips do change the sound a bit too. Some enhance the bass end. Monster tips for example does this. Smaller sound holed tips or foams lessen the highs a bit. There is an entire thread based on what tips do for earphones.http://www.head-fi.org/t/304963/fyi-various-iems-tips-pictorial-comparison-updated-sept-29th-2011/300#post_8118792  This thread explains in detail.

Apr 28, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #1,968 of 4,317
I really want to say " Are you kidding me?" but in a bad way.  These arrived today (plain packaging, not like in the earlier video)  I have an Ipod Gen 5.5, Wolfson Dacs and these sound horrible.  There is *No* Bass at all, low volume and really harsh. They fit snuggly and  I doubt that 1000 hours of burn in will make any difference! I also recieved an $8.00/shipped pair of Altec Muzx woodies and they are warm, loud and smooth with plenty of bass.

Honestly, I'm shocked :frowning2:

bob

Apr 28, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #1,969 of 4,317
Hmm You sure you got a good sound seal on these? I would try some other tips for sure. That don't sound right. I wouldn't consider these bass monsters or anything like that but they do have good bass on them.

Apr 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #1,970 of 4,317

Quote:
I really want to say " Are you kidding me?" but in a bad way.  These arrived today (plain packaging, not like in the earlier video)  I have an Ipod Gen 5.5, Wolfson Dacs and these sound horrible.  There is *No* Bass at all, low volume and really harsh. They fit snuggly and  I doubt that 1000 hours of burn in will make any difference! I also recieved an $8.00/shipped pair of Altec Muzx woodies and they are warm, loud and smooth with plenty of bass.

bob

I had teh same feeling. Howver I have to agree on burn in... You need 20 hours with these.. Im not even kidding.

Plus, tight and deep fit.

Apr 28, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #1,971 of 4,317

Quote:

bob

If you really want some bass for cheap check out another find by Dsnuts, the Philips SHE3580. They are $10-$15 and sound quite good with the emphasis definitely being on the low end

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHE3580-28-Colors-Headphones/dp/B003BT69Z2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335650013&sr=8-1

My mono's are also quite thin on bass, so I don't know if I just have a bad pair or something. They've have a good 35 hours of burn-in and I've tried several different tips (meelec triple flanges fit me best, complys are next choice) but it agree that it does seem to be lacking a bit. It however is very controlled and tight, but does not have the impact that other buds and phones I've tried had. These monos do have much better mids and highs than any of my other IEMs and that makes them worth listening too. They have better separation and have much more detail than any other competitor in the budget range that I've tried. If you listen to a lot of EDM type music or hip-hop/rap these are not the way to go, but if you want detail than these are a great choice.

Apr 28, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #1,972 of 4,317

Quote:

I had teh same feeling. Howver I have to agree on burn in... You need 20 hours with these.. Im not even kidding.

Plus, tight and deep fit.

Just tried them in my Sansa Clip+, same thing. They actually fit really snug with the chord side up. I can't even listen to them any more.  Going to start burn in.  They take so much more volume than other buds.  Is that the consensus?

thx

bob

Apr 28, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #1,973 of 4,317

Quote:

Just tried them in my Sansa Clip+, same thing. They actually fit really snug with the chord side up. I can't even listen to them any more.  Going to start burn in.  They take so much more volume than other buds.  Is that the consensus?

thx

bob

Ya the sensitivity is only 96 db and the impedance is 32 ohms whereas a lot of iems will have 16ohms.

Apr 28, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #1,974 of 4,317

Quote:

thx

bob

? Hmm I don't remember, I use it with my Macbook pro, E5, or E17 which all have quite some power so I don't have any problems. 

I had the same problem as you at first..Just let them burn in for 20 hours plus. I am at 13 hrs right now and it is a huge improvement. I don't try to go pro burn in or disprove it objectively or subjectively, but this example is a great one...for pro burn in. 20 is a huge improvement. Go for more hours. I don't know as I am just burning them in continuously right now.

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #1,975 of 4,317
I just received mine today and I must say I am quite impressed while listening to Trance.
They easily beat out my cheap $20 earphones and I'm pretty sure are at least on par with my old $40 Klipsch S2. (dog ate them, so I can't compare)

And at least for me the fit is PERFECT. I have never had earphones fit so snuggly.
The only bad thing is that the cables make a TON of noise.

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #1,976 of 4,317

Quote:
I just received mine today and I must say I am quite impressed while listening to Trance.
They easily beat out my cheap $20 earphones and I'm pretty sure are at least on par with my old $40 Klipsch S2. (dog ate them, so I can't compare)

And at least for me the fit is PERFECT. I have never had earphones fit so snuggly.
The only bad thing is that the cables make a TON of noise.

You can ...kinda awkwardly fold them up and over the back of your ears. It takes a few tries to make the super light wire to get to the back of your ear, but once it does the microphonics is reduced quite a bit..when sitting, when moving it's reduced but still there.

15 hours approx burn in now...ok I take back everything, for $8 these are fricking fantastic!, they are still much to bright and harsh and crackle with super highs at times, but not to the point of before. I'll go for 50 hours :)

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #1,977 of 4,317
If you guys hear a bit of crackling. Yes that is the new drivers flexing. That happened to my original reviewed pair..More burn will fix that. Big drivers 14.2mm need a big burn. I would go at least 50. .

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #1,978 of 4,317

Quote:
If you guys hear a bit of crackling. Yes that is the new drivers flexing. That happened to my original reviewed pair..More burn will fix that. Big drivers 14.2mm need a big burn. I would go at least 50. .

....what the heck. I have 2 full size headphones I need to burn in and 1 earbud now.

AKG Q701 currently at ~20 hours burn in
Sony XB500 currently at ~3 hours burn in
Monoprice MP8320 currently at ~15 hours

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #1,979 of 4,317

Quote:

You can ...kinda awkwardly fold them up and over the back of your ears. It takes a few tries to make the super light wire to get to the back of your ear, but once it does the microphonics is reduced quite a bit..when sitting, when moving it's reduced but still there.

15 hours approx burn in now...ok I take back everything, for $8 these are fricking fantastic!, they are still much to bright and harsh and crackle with super highs at times, but not to the point of before. I'll go for 50 hours :)

I suggest you try Comply Tx-400 on those to sort the bass out.

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #1,980 of 4,317

Quote:

I suggest you try Comply Tx-400 on those to sort the bass out.

? I never had any problems with the bass. IT's not deep stuff, but enough.. I am having problems with the highs..but it's not even a problem yet. As DSNUTS said, 50 hours+. If it still occurs at 70 hours plus is when I call it a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back